Author Topic: Weedless fin  (Read 11103 times)

cjv141

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Weedless fin
« on: October 14, 2010, 08:29:49 AM »
I paddle on an urban river that has a lot of floating weeds and now leaves.  I have to stop every mile or so to back up and clear the weeds I've collected.  I am losing more than 1/2mph from the drag.  I am looking for a really good weedless fin for a Starboard K15.

kneil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Weedless fin
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 11:33:02 AM »
Future Fins 10" SUP weedless fin will solve your problems, $89.00 on Ebay.

riverrat

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 11:46:06 AM »
This fin has worked well for me in kelpy areas in Santa Cruz. It seems to work best as far forward in the box as possible. But it has noticeably less drive off the bottom than my Faberow Flex Fin.

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 12:50:02 PM »
I paddle on an urban river that has a lot of floating weeds and now leaves.  I have to stop every mile or so to back up and clear the weeds I've collected.  I am losing more than 1/2mph from the drag.  I am looking for a really good weedless fin for a Starboard K15.

The John Becker race Keel is the fin of Choice for the K-15 users all over the world. This fin not only is great for seaweed conditions but is the number one fin of choice by Allison Race Fin users to increase their strokes per side. Check out more reviews on this fin and others by going to www.standupfinsbylarryallison.blogspot.com or join use on Facebook Sup Race Fins (Allison Race Fins).

Mahalo,Larry
Allison Race Fins

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 01:01:31 PM »
The new Starboard bamboo race fin should work well.. and it's amazing how light this fin is.

DJ

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 02:56:29 PM »
The new Curtis Hesselgrave 7.3" "SeaGrass" will get the job done...most of the Starboard racers at Battle of the Paddle were using one of the Curtis fins...

He also has a new Blue Water fin (8.6" & 9") and a less aggressive 9" Eel Grass fin...all $100 except the 9" Eel Grass $110...

It's amazing how many knockoffs of Curtis' fins I've seen over the decades...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/tag/curtis-sup-fins

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

levity

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 08:31:11 PM »
Mrs levity and I find that the Becker Race Keel fin (Larry Allison's Fibre Glas Fin Co.) shown above slides right over/through ocean kelp and lake weeds.

Here are a couple of pics of weeds we encountered in the shallows of Big Bear lake.
No problem at all with the Keel fin -- it was our paddles that kept getting hung up!

K15 -

Bark Expedition -

You'll find that the Keel improves tracking and stability of the K15 as well.
Here's a comparison of the OEM K15 fin and the Race Keel:

« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 08:38:52 PM by levity »

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 08:36:49 PM »

cjv141, Thought I would share alittle history to the Becker Race keel. In this pic is a lifeguard fin I made in 1973 as a teenager for Control Products who supplied all the Santa Monica Lifeguards with Boards and fins. This guy came by my factory in 1999 with his prone board doing the BARK, ROCK TO ROCK. Which is when this pic was taken. Later in 2003 guys started using this type of fin for the Catalina Prone Race then I started playing with different keel designs coming into standup in 2006 to 2007 when guys were making fun of me until the first BOP which is when things started to change to now. Alittle Race history on the keel design thru the years and back again. I am blessed to witness history repeat it's self and still be involved. Enjoy the ride my friend. Mahalo, Larry
Allison Race Fins

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 09:29:49 PM »
Larry--great video on your blogspot.  The fins are beautiful.  The only reason I wouldn't put one in my living room as a sculpture is that then I wouldn't be allowing it to do what it's made for--performance.  I'd better start a fin fund for myself.  They really are the third core piece of SUP equipment, which I hadn't appreciated before. 

Your quote:

"You can't always take fashion and make fashion perform, but you can always take performance, and create fashion."

is as good as any quote on design (of any kind) I've ever seen.  I'm going to be saying it a lot to my own clients from now on.  Since I store one of my boards in my office/conference room, I just need to get one of your fins for it now so I can illustrate your point to them...   

http://www.standupfinsbylarryallison.blogspot.com/ for anyone who didn't see it yet.

WorlSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 02:54:57 AM »

The John Becker race Keel is the fin of Choice for the K-15 users all over the world. This fin not only is great for seaweed conditions but is the number one fin of choice by Allison Race Fin users to increase their strokes per side. Check out more reviews on this fin and others by going to www.standupfinsbylarryallison.blogspot.com or join use on Facebook Sup Race Fins (Allison Race Fins).

Mahalo,Larry

Yes go one of Larry's fins, work great in the weed:

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 10:18:07 AM »
Might as well and my photos to the mix.

Fins Unlimited (Curtis Fins) makes a couple of great flat water fins that are "anti weed"

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 10:24:07 AM »

Mahalo,Larry

Cjv141, Thought I would share another type of weed fin called the Ninja which came from the Ninja of 1987 in the windsurfing world. The difference is the foil in the Ninja Sup than the Ninja Windsurf. Alot of windsurfers laughed at me then with this fin because they said the extreme rake caused you to loose your pointing advantage. By having the large bottom end taking away the side flex from guys running a short core lenght from base to tip I proved them wrong and now again in the SUP market. The Ninga is great for downwind and light conditions and easier turning, where the Becker Keel is the best for over powered situation and going straight.
Thanks levity and Worlsup for sharing your experience with the Becker. Thanks pdxmike for the more than kind words, it makes it worth while dealing with the drama of competition when I get comments like yours. Mahalo, Larry

Allison Race Fins

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 10:33:54 AM »
The Ninja from the 80's in this pic. The main reason for the extreme rake was because I had problems with Eal Grass in Corpus Christi Texas while doing some windsurf trade shows there and alot of guys also in So Padre Islands. Thanks for sharing some cool pics of Curtis Fins Easy Rider. Mahalo, Larry
Allison Race Fins

cjv141

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 01:11:01 PM »
WOW, thanks for all of the info, looks like this problem is solved.  Now can someone give me a new excuse to use when I'm slow?

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 01:46:11 PM »
I paddle on an urban river that has a lot of floating weeds and now leaves. 
cjv141--maybe your excuse for being slow could be that you have no water because your river left. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard