Author Topic: Are there any small SUPs (120-145L) that are great surfing and wave sailing?  (Read 7238 times)

obxaddict

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • nc boardrider
I have a Naish Mana 9'.  No sail attatchment.  I love the way this < 20lb board paddle surfs.

Has anyone had experience with boards similar in size/weight that you can wave sail in light wind?  I've tried the RRD Wassup 10' and did not like its paddle surf performance.  Mainly just too heavy.  I have a starboard drive 10'5 that is great for paddle surf and wave sailing but would like to try a smaller option too.  If Naish offered an AST construction 9' Mana or Nalu that would be fun to try.  Thanks!

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I noticed at SurfExpo that Starboard's line for 2011 must have at least 6 boards under 9' and they are probably all available with a mast insert screw.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
 Hey there obxaddict... I have windsurfed and paddle-surfed the Nah Skwell 7'8" Fish SUP, the Nah Skwell 9'6" All-Rounder and the Nah Skwell 10'6 Nose-rider...
The NS 78 Fish seemed the funnest (to me) for lite-wind sailing. It was like surf-sailing on a frisbee disc; just a whole lot of fun. Easy to get out through the surf on, catch waves on, do tricks, etc. You won't be 'hauling ass', but you will have enough speed to jibe and get out through the surf. Of course, as a SUP, it's just 'plain stupid' how well it surfs our Florida surf...
 There is also the AHD (parent company of the Nah Skwells) Sealion windsurf board. The SL is 7'6 and has more emphasis on the surf-sailing half of the equation than the NS78 above. The rocker and thickness flow are different to enable the SL to plane up faster and go faster than the Nah Fish. It surfs pretty good too; but (to me) not quite the same as the Nah Fish...
 The two bigger boards (9'6 and 10'6) windsurf pretty much like the older windsurf boards of yesteryear. Still a lot of fun for cruising around, in and out through the surf, etc. Just not the exhilaration you get from surf-sailing one of the smaller boards mentioned above...
 Just had to throw my 2 cents into the mix...          Later,       JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

obxaddict

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • nc boardrider
Hi obxaddict,

As you know, the 10' WASSUP you tried was defective and being replaced under full warranty. It was one of the first produced and mistakes were made in production. This only affected a few boards but unfortunately that was one of them. I only have rave reviews from people that both paddle and sail this board so the added weight of that one must have had a major impact on the performance. From what you are describing, I think you'd be happier with the 8'5" though. Don't let the length intimidate you. With 135 liters and 31' of width it's more stable then you would expect.

Read the previous post in this forum for a review of this board.

Tony

Tony,
My intention was not to bash the wassup. The 10' board with the flatter rocker wasn't what I was looking for in terms of bigger wave paddling performance.  In terms of pure wave even the Drive is bigger and heavier than I want.  My wife and I had fun in smaller waves despite the extra weight.  Sorry about not being clear with my point. 

I will try the 8'5 if I can get a chance.  It would certainly wave sail well.  The 10' was extremely stable so I'm sure the 8'5 will follow.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Here are a couple of options

Fanatic Fly 9'6
JP 9'9 Widebody

either one should do the trick

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

SUPerSwede

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
I owned the 7'8 Nah Skwell. A real windsurfing toy in waves! I dearly miss it. The 9'6 is more of a longboard style board, where you use the sail to get to the wave and then deposed once you're there. Not as fun if you ask me. Depends on what you're into. Might get a Pocket Rocket silver AST when I can afford to.

nuernbergsup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • sup-center-nuernberg
    • Email
Mistral has a wide range of wave and allround boards all with a windsurfing option

http://www.mistral.com/sup/sup-boards/

Joerg
Mistral Wave 8'6 130l  Gong NFA 7'0 120l Gong Couine Marie 10'6 inflatable

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal