Author Topic: Rail Tape  (Read 27797 times)

Marc996

• Rincon Status
    • ICQ Messenger - 61565027
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - marc_sps
    • View Profile
Re: Rail Tape
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 09:30:21 AM »
to stay on topic, i put railtape on my Coreban Performer wood board and it has been holding up great.

i had a colision with a guy dropping in on me and his fins hit my rails at full speed.  i ended up with a small crack in my board but the tape saved a lot of impact. it would have been much worse without.

highsierrabear

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 10:15:29 AM »
I'll put in a vote here for rail tape as a newbie paddler.

I'm glad I put it on our Tufskin Starboard SUPs, when we were just beginning and falling off, and whacking the board a lot.  Now I'm not so sure we need it as much.

The rail tape does show some gouges and nicks, that did not translate into chips and cracks.  Plus the Tufskin seems to get dirty if you even look at it funny.  Perhaps the biggest use for the rail tape is the ability to put the board on it's side (leaned up against a car/pole/fence on the pavement while dressing/undressing/ loading.  I'm sure it's prevented lots of nicks.  I also feel better knowing that I can stack the boards on their side on the pavement in my driveway without hurting them.

Rail tape might be advisable if it's a recreation board that's used by your kids/dogs/neighbors, etc.  Not everyone will treat your board as well as you do.

That said, I don't have rail tape or a paddle guard on my race board.  Nor will I have rail tape on my new 9'3" subvector.

rtfulk

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 08:20:20 AM »
I went to the auto parts store and bought the clear door guards for my paddles. 6.00 a pack and fits the paddle perfectly.

Randy

Johnny Mac

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 10:16:05 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I have already installed the paddle guards and still contemplating the rail guards. 

dalidali

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • KayakSport.net
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
I use 3M helicopter tape. Lasts forever. M
What is Helicopter tape, and where do you get it?

I was also wondering about the nose guard.  I have them on my surfboards, and they work great.  The tail guard is kinda a waste, and was so small on my surfboard that it came off.
It's the nose of the board that takes all of the pounding, not the tail.

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 06:07:42 PM »
Plumbers Mastic Tape for the blade stretches nicely around the edge without being too thick to cause weird paddling issues.

20mm PVC pipe wrapping tape for the areas that get knicked up by the blade...until you're decent enough with a paddle, then ditch it but leave mastic tape on paddle.

Both above are not made for SUP therefore pretty cheap and black color, though if you're worried about looks then prolly stick with the overpriced SUP stuff that's clear.

Enjoy

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »
Helicopter tape / Racers Tape: Very tough since it can be used to protect the leading edge of helicopter blades or aircraft wings. Also very expensive. I haven't tried it but I've heard it works great as rail tape.

Some links:
http://www.findtape.com/product570/ISC-Helicopter-OG-HD-Heavy-Duty-Outdoor-Grade-Surface-Guard-Tape.aspx?idx=2&tid=7

http://www.findtape.com/product173/ISC-Helicopter-OG-Outdoor-Grade-Surface-Guard-Tape.aspx?idx=4&tid=7

http://www.amazon.com/ISC-RACER-SURFACE-4%60%60X12%60-HT4128/dp/B000TR6EW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288577884&sr=8-1

Neki

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 06:37:49 PM »
The helicopter tape is a polyurathane composed tape . That would be similar to brushing a  coating of epoxy on the rails. Ive done this on the rails of an old board with some rod builders epoxy(more  flexible) worked great. I recomend flexcoat high build 2oz. around 6-10$ 
      First clean rails. Then tape the rails off with masking tape, Mix two part rod finish properly than brush even coat on rails. Than you need to keep turning the board over top to bottom bottom to top every 5 min. for 30 min. until the finish cures some thus preventing any sagging of the applied coat . Dont touch for 5 hours.

rkdjones

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 12:53:11 PM »
One more suggestion: Gaffers tape is maybe $20/roll and can be purchased at many hardware stores.  It is the stuff that lighting and stage folks use.  It sticks well and can be removed much easier than many other tapes.  I use it on the nose and tail, but replace it every couple months so the adhesive doesn't have a chance to bond permanently.

I am using some foam tape made by NSI on my Starboard Easy; I'm not sure it is even sold anymore.  It is getting  a little chewed up after a couple years and I am thinking about removing it, but don't know how hard that will be.  If anyone has taken this NSI tape off, let me know how it went.

Robert

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 09:57:37 PM »
I agree with Spleen - 3M clear tape works well.  Cheap and stays on for a long time.

dalidali

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • KayakSport.net
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 07:58:47 PM »
I purchased 3" wide helicopter tape on eBay and it works fine. It is used to protect helicopter blades.
M

OMStandUp

• Waikiki Status
  • One Mile Stand Up Paddleboard Rentals
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2013, 01:53:12 PM »
Anyone weighing in on the definitive answer on cheap good quality rail tape. I have a dozen rental boards that I need to tape up and I need some help with this question. Diana

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2013, 02:23:12 PM »
go to FindTape.com

order ISC Helicopter-OG-HD Surface Guard

OG stands for outdoor grade
HD stands for heavy duty

You can get 3 in 4 in x whatever you think you'd need for as many boards (I bought 3in x 60ft and did 2 9'6 boards, an 8ft board, and my 14' Naish Glide)...the longer the cheaper.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 08:45:39 PM »
http://www.shop3m.com/3m-scotchgard-paint-protection-film-rolls-fq2nws05w4.html

2 in roll is all you need.  I have had this on my first board for 5 years with no yellowing or peeling.  I bet it would come off clean too.  Plenty tough.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal