Author Topic: Starboard Blend 11'2"x30 vs Hobie 12' ATR  (Read 13371 times)

maich

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Starboard Blend 11'2"x30 vs Hobie 12' ATR
« on: September 28, 2010, 09:23:57 AM »
Looking for some advice.

I have demo'd a number of boards and appear headed in the direction of the Starboard Blend.  I am 6'2" 225lbs.  A friend of mine recently purchased the Hobie 12' ATR and is enjoying the board.  Most of my SUPing will be in the Harbor, Bays and Sound on Long Island.

Any recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks in advance,

dragon

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Starboard Blend 11'2"x30 vs Hobie 12' ATR
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 10:21:34 AM »
225-you may find the UB a little bit "small" for flatwater paddling.  I am 185-190 and love my UB in flatwater, I also surf with it, my impression is that above 200 it is not such a good fit for all around. For flatwater you would likely be happier with a floatier board-don't know the Hobie, but you can compare specs or someone else might chime in who knows the board

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 11:11:07 AM »
I have heard the Hobie ATR is a nice flat water/touring board but is a pig in the surf... Doesnt sound like your going to surf much so that might be a good choice.

Might also want to check out the PSH 10'6" WAA and the Coreban Cruiser.

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 04:37:08 PM »
I am 215 and much prefer the Starboard 12'6" Cruiser over the 11' Ultimate Blend for both surfing and cruising. I owned both now I only own the 12'6". I have not been on the Hobie but they always build a decent product as well. If you are doing more touring then anything else the Starboard 12'6" would be the best of the bunch. If you are surfing more than anything else they each probably have their good points and bad points.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 05:29:35 PM »
I'm 6'2 185lbs and love the Blend as the all-around board it is designed to be.  I paddle it on flatwater and on chest to head high surf and feel it performs fairly well --but not great --in both.  It is an excellent "only board".  It is currently my only board. 

I would rather have a Naish 14' Glide and a C4 subvector 9'3 and really get after the flat and surf.  But if I had to do it over and live with one board I would still get the Blend.  The rocker really helps the surf.  It has more rocker than the Hobie.  If I felt I would do more flat than surf I might go for the Hobie.  But if I felt I wanted performance in the surf I could get I would probably go with the Blend.

Good Luck.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 07:05:12 PM »
I'm 6'2 185lbs and love the Blend as the all-around board it is designed to be.  I paddle it on flatwater and on chest to head high surf and feel it performs fairly well --but not great --in both.  It is an excellent "only board".  It is currently my only board. 

I would rather have a Naish 14' Glide and a C4 subvector 9'3 and really get after the flat and surf.  But if I had to do it over and live with one board I would still get the Blend.  The rocker really helps the surf.  It has more rocker than the Hobie.  If I felt I would do more flat than surf I might go for the Hobie.  But if I felt I wanted performance in the surf I could get I would probably go with the Blend.

Good Luck.

BINGO!
Zackly what I told him...with one board minimalist solution...both boards are on the short list...obviously one board surfs better and the other board glides and tracks better...but, both boards do flatwater paddle and surf...they are all-arounders...if the question were which two board quiver for surf and flatwater, I would offer several other solutions based on my personal paddling experiences...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

maich

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 05:03:22 PM »
I appreciate all of the insight.  Cool community 8)

If you have other recommendations I am listening.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 05:45:59 PM »
I loved my blend as an all around board. I think it will be fine for you at 225. I had 30 lbs on you when I was using it as my go to for the widest variety of conditions. I did sell it though because I have a much bigger quiver now and have all the bases covered. I also have a 12-6 and agree that it wouldn't be bad either. Better glide, still a decent surfer. For guys my size I think its the best there is all-around but at your size I'd have the blend as an only board in a heartbeat. Talk to Craig....he won his in last years CCBC and surfs it and paddled 30 miles in this years CCBC. He's a little lighter than you..I'd guess 190-200.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

highsierrabear

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 10:49:41 AM »
I really like the Blend, but primarily use it for surfing our slow lazy waves and bumps.  Can't comment on the Hobie.

I'm 6' and 180lbs, and have paddled quite a bit of flatwater with our 38lb dog as well.  FYI, I also paddled it weighing closer to 200lbs and it was fine as well (even with our dog doing toes on the nose).  The full deck pad is dog/kid friendly as well, and makes epic nose rides easy.  I have a great time in ankle high waves to head high waves, but it turns as you'd expect an 11'2" board to turn- pretty slow.

Having said that, I'd be looking at a 12' or 12'6" board if it were truly only for flatwater and wasn't going to be surfed.

I think that the Blend is a great board for a 2 board surf quiver, along with a shorter, more aggressive surfer.  My awesome surf girl got me a 9'3" subvector for my birthday, which should be just about what I need.

Not really on topic, but-
I just surfed the Blend yesterday and caught loads of big rollers that never even broke.  I LOVE getting long rides on bumps that never crest or break.  The tide was a bit too high, so we paddled up the coast for a bit, and screwed around while the tide dropped a bit, and the waves picked up.  Then cruised back to the surf zone, sat way off to the side of the pack of 10+ surfers and caught roller after roller while they sat and waited for the few big ones to crest and break.  It's so awesome to see a pack of prone surfers all turn turn their heads in unision and watch you while they wait for the occasional wave to come (then they were surfing in the rocks and kelp).  Even more awesome to watch them crane their heads while your gf is charging it on the SUP and catching way more waves than them.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 11:37:37 AM »
Have you considered an Isle?  They have a nice price point (yes - they're popouts) and if you're just doing flatwater they're good.  I started on one of their 11' beginner boards (not the softie) and would have kept it had I not wanted to do more surfing...  They often run sales so keep an eye on their websites (it's not uncommon to see $100-150 off select boards).
The only downsides I had on my beginner board was that it didn't surf too well and it was a bit heavy at 35 lbs.

www.islesurfboards.com

maich

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: NSP Good Value? or Good Buy?
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 06:02:10 PM »
I am not familiar with the Isle.  But will look into it.

I also have been looking at the 11" NSP.  Great value so I have been told but will it hold up over time.  Is it one of those you get what you pay for??

Thabnks

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 08:39:55 PM »
I am not familiar with the Isle.  But will look into it.

I also have been looking at the 11" NSP.  Great value so I have been told but will it hold up over time.  Is it one of those you get what you pay for??

Thabnks

Hi Rob,
NSP is made at Cobra factory (Thailand) and has a 1 year warranty...most of the Chinese factories, at this point in time, don't, IMO, have the same stringent construction standards...with the exception of the original Sumitomo factory when we first started in the SUP manufacturing biz...NSP is a good bargain for the value shopper...we wouldn't carry it if it were not so...you do get whatcha pay for...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2010/06/new_surf_project.html

Another option for your consideration...this just in...breaking news...

We worked very hard with Starboard this year to produce a quality built price point board to battle the cheaply built Chinese generic knockoffs trying to deceive the novice SUP consumer...this is a no frills Starboard branded SUP...referred to as white AST...or nude...;-)

Same exact hull shape as 10'5" x 30" Drive...11'2" x 30" Blend...12" x 32" Big Easy and 10' x 34" Whopper...
We sell them with the top of the line Xtrak pads in gray, blue, or black for $1149...$995 totally nude...yet another value shopper offering...for the wifey or the kids...heck, even for El Jefe Grande...just saying...;-)

Talk to you soon...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Shark

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
NSP
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 07:04:45 AM »
I've had an 11' NSP for two months now (first SUP) and I love it.  Haven't taken it out in the surf yet but hope to in a couple weeks...nearest waves from Seattle are 3 hours away, not counting the freighter wakes.  Maybe I'll outgrow it someday but for now it suits me just fine.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 08:01:05 PM »
Hey Wardog, is the construction of the 'nude' Starboards the same as the current Camo but obviously without grip?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal