Author Topic: Maliko Downwind video with Connor Baxter  (Read 7455 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Maliko Downwind video with Connor Baxter
« on: September 18, 2010, 09:03:50 AM »
Hi, Well here it is.  Hope you like it.  Remember to set on 720p.

For those of you not familiar with Cervantes, Don Quixote is a fictional character, who as a older man, loses his mind and becomes wrapped up in the idea of chivalry and doing good deeds.
He and his clever sidekick Pancho  embark on misadventures where even windmills become giants to battle.  Delusional fools wrapped up in the moment.
A great read, maybe one of the greatest.  Keith and I are not really so idealistic but are truly mad fools.  Aloha Bill

C&B You Tube
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 09:50:49 AM by Admin »

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
Re: Starboard 12'6" & 14 vid with Conner
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 09:40:42 AM »
Great video...
What I see is the 14 appears to have almost the same water line (maybe there's more rocker) as the 12'6" on flat water... so no real advantage there... but looks to handle the bumps with less pearling... although Conner is doing just fine on the shorter board with his skills...
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 09:41:18 AM »
Nice video but it could loose the guy talking it doesn't fit the video. Whos is on what size board? Any dimensions on the 14' Starboard and pricing in U.S dollars?

NickFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Maliko Downwind video with Connor Baxter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 10:16:44 AM »
Connor is on the shorter board.  They get their equipment for free but that carbon paddle smacked the board hard when he was twisting around.  If it was my stuff I would have a cracked paddle and a hole in the board.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 03:04:57 PM »
Any one else thinking 'Warren Miller' while watching that vid?.. Thanks again Bill.. another great vid.

DJ

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 03:11:26 PM »
Great video...
What I see is the 14 appears to have almost the same water line (maybe there's more rocker) as the 12'6" on flat water... so no real advantage there... but looks to handle the bumps with less pearling... although Conner is doing just fine on the shorter board with his skills...

Jonathan has both those boards and yes you don't see any pearling.. but you do see some 'boofing'..  ;D .. I'm not sure if boof is a word but that's what I think as they go boof into the back of the wave in front..  ;D

I'm sure Jonathan will be trying to paddle backwards now  :D

DJ

cmaz44

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 04:13:49 PM »
That was a great video!!! Keep them coming. Newbies like myself finally know what moving down wind is really like. Now I know when I paddle my arse off into the wind, there is a reward on the way back. For some reason though it always seems like the wind dies on me.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 11:38:29 PM »
Any one else thinking 'Warren Miller' while watching that vid?.. Thanks again Bill.. another great vid.

DJ

DJ, In so much as Warren Miller introduced the sport of skiing to the world, I thank you for the complement.  You know well, how this action takes place far offshore and no one, even none paddlers here on Maui, are even aware of what's going on out there... sometimes a mile offshore.  That's why I got into it.  But also Warren Miller always put me to sleep with his voice and I'm afraid that's what I might have done to Surfninja.  I have an Irish pal who has a great voice but he was off island so I did it myself.  The original vid was 20 min for Starboard (they loved it) as a how-to vid that I shortened to the You Tube 10 min limit and that's why it includes my voice over.  It's meant to throw a little energy towards people unfamiliar with the sport. The voice interjections are also a great way to change tunes.  I'm just learning this vid stuff.... since May.  Those Surf Race's are unreal.  My V2 is golden but for a 14 the SR is the bomb. Aloha Bill

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 12:14:06 AM »
Headmount,
Great work. Loved the vid, esp with the hawaiian music--really sets the mood.
Thanks for posting it.

Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 12:57:29 AM »
Simply the best downwind video yet. Great stuff Bill. I didn't mind the narration, brought some fresh observations. I'd love to see the full 20 mins. Do you know where and when Starboard is planning to post that version?

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 10:49:12 AM »
Headmount,

Sorry to make sound that way. What I meant exactly is you capture some of the greatest downwind video here on the forum and with some of the best downwind guys to compliment your work. So the narrator just wasn't the cherry on the cake. Anyways keep up the cool videos.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 12:09:10 PM »
Headmount,

Sorry to make sound that way. What I meant exactly is you capture some of the greatest downwind video here on the forum and with some of the best downwind guys to compliment your work. So the narrator just wasn't the cherry on the cake. Anyways keep up the cool videos.

No worries SURFNINJA, I like the constructive critic and as the voice-over is new I definitely like the feedback on it.  Tell me this, was it the voice or what was said that didn't work for you?  I also wrote the script.  I have a feeling there is a vid that works for experienced paddlers like you and one that is for people thinking about dropping into the sport, which was the case in this video.  I want to constantly improve, just like my paddling, so the feedback is great.  Thanks.  Aloha Bill

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 12:22:22 PM »
Simply the best downwind video yet. Great stuff Bill. I didn't mind the narration, brought some fresh observations. I'd love to see the full 20 mins. Do you know where and when Starboard is planning to post that version?

Thanx PT.  Conner had a 20 min. copy at the trade show in Orlando.  Did Paddledaddy see that video?  He said he was there.  Anyway I heard the turn out for the show was minimal.  I think that yes, Starboard is planning to post that video on their site but right now they're slammed with trying to get their catalogue out. 

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 12:22:37 PM »
Headmount,

No worries SURFNINJA, I like the constructive critic and as the voice-over is new I definitely like the feedback on it.  Tell me this, was it the voice or what was said that didn't work for you?  I also wrote the script.  I have a feeling there is a vid that works for experienced paddlers like you and one that is for people thinking about dropping into the sport, which was the case in this video.  I want to constantly improve, just like my paddling, so the feedback is great.  Thanks.  Aloha Bill

I would say it was just kind of slow in the narrating aspect whereas not complimenting the video very well. Like you said I guess some of us experience guys would not expect it and it would be helpful for newbies getting into downwind.

cmaz44

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 03:51:56 PM »
I think the narration is excellent. Keep it up!!!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal