Author Topic: Yet another (surf) paddle question...my shoulders hurt!  (Read 8068 times)

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yet another (surf) paddle question...my shoulders hurt!
« on: September 08, 2010, 05:18:32 PM »
just thought i'd ad another paddle thread to the already numerous threads already out there. but seriously, i need some advice on a surf paddle...

i started out a year ago using a werner spanker, awesome paddle, love the dihedral (i swear i can feel a difference, others dont, but thats for another thread!), feel, etc, but when i went from a 10' to a 9' board that was also made of 1lb foam compared to the 1.5lb foam of the 10' board, the spanker was too much, so i switched to a kialoa shaka pu'u. this paddle worked great for a while, but recently i've been paddling a lot more than i was previously, about 4 days a week, 3-5 hour sessions each day. also periodically do some distance/training paddling on a 12'6 starboard pin with a surftech/quickblade paddle. have no pain with the distance board, but have been getting pain when surfing. try to be conscious of keeping my top arm from going above parallel when paddling in the surf to minimize stress to the joint, maintain good form, etc.

just dont know if it's an issue of overuse, or the fact that the shaka pu'u is just too big. my technique has changed quite a bit over the last year since i started paddling, currently when i surf i am relying more on quick, short 'bursts' instead of long slow pulls like i used to do.

unfortunately there aren't many shops that will demo paddles, especially in my length (i am 6'2, and my surf paddles are 8 inches overhead). am considering the kialoa methane, but when you look at the specs it is only 3 square inches less surface area than the shaka pu'u, so how much difference will this really make? also looked at the specs of the kialoa pipes and the werner nitro, and they are both pretty narrow paddles and similar surface area, but look super small. i like the 'feel' of the kialoa handles and shafts, but almost prefer the way the werner paddles handle in the water due to the dihedral, but i am a bit skeptical going down to a blade size like the pipes or nitro...

i am 6'2, 185lbs, not small, but not big, and wouldn't mind some feedback from the 'bigger' guys who prefer using the smaller blade paddles in the surf. part of me thinks that the smaller blade will compliment my technique now that i am doing higher cadence, quicker, shorter more frequent strokes compared to the ham-fisted, balls to the wall pulls i used to do when i started...

any advice and all suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcomed, and thanks in advance!

board-boy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another (surf) paddle question...my shoulders hurt!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 05:37:28 PM »
What about trying a paddle with a more flexible shaft?  I switched from carbon fibre paddles to a Jimmy Lewis Kanaha (9" x 16") with fibreglass shaft.  After that, no more elbow or shoulder pain.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 05:42:58 PM »
What about trying a paddle with a more flexible shaft?  I switched from carbon fibre paddles to a Jimmy Lewis Kanaha (9" x 16") with fibreglass shaft.  After that, no more elbow or shoulder pain.

the kialoa paddles are very flexible, especially a kialoa paddle that is 82 inches. it's night and day difference between the amount of flex you get from a kialoa and a werner...dont know if flex is the issue but it may be worth investigating...

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 05:59:41 PM »
This was my point exactly in another thread but no one listens until they suffer from some kind of injury. The wrong thing is everyone is focused on being fast and getting faster but technique is last thing on there mind. In the end the injury is lengthy and prolonged or worst a lifetime of discomfort. Worst nightmare is your paddling journey comes to an end.

IMHO get you a set of Indian clubs and start rehabilitating those shoulders. Getting a smaller paddle won't cure your shoulder injury it will only bandaid the problem.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 06:03:30 PM »
This was my point exactly in another thread but no one listens until they suffer from some kind of injury. The wrong thing is everyone is focused on being fast and getting faster but technique is last thing on there mind. In the end the injury is lengthy and prolonged or worst a lifetime of discomfort. Worst nightmare is your paddling journey comes to an end.

IMHO get you a set of Indian clubs and start rehabilitating those shoulders. Getting a smaller paddle won't cure your shoulder injury it will only bandaid the problem.

the problem isnt my shoulder strength! i think its a combination of lack of proper technique (or rather that my technique is changing and improving and now is the way i should have been paddling a year ago). strength is not the issue. i'll stick with my kettlebells over indian clubs!

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 06:11:22 PM »
I am replying to wooden Indian clubs. It's the best tool for shoulder rehab hands done. I am not referring to exercises for shoulder strengthening you want strong shoulders or upper body buy a mace bell.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 06:12:39 PM »
I am replying to wooden Indian clubs. It's the best tool for shoulder rehab hands done. I am not referring to exercises for shoulder strengthening you want strong shoulders or upper body buy a mace bell.

i will definitely look into it!

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 09:47:58 PM »
Are you "overgripping" the shaft with your lower hand subconciously in the surf?  This could lead to some shoulder issues too. 

Werner Paddles now come with 50% more flex in all of the Carbon Shafts BTW ;D
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 12:32:09 AM »
I think what Ninja is referring to is that if you get sore shoulders you are paddling with your arms not your body.  If you go hard and try to be fast with this kind of technique sore shoulders become torn or permanently damaged ones.

If you have increased the amount your are paddling you should have sore obliques, lats and muscles associated with twisting.  Try to lock your bottom arm and pull yourself past the point the blade is deeply planted in the water.  As above a great way to force yourself to lock is to use 3 fingers loosely on the shaft like a hook.  None of this will work unless you reach and twist.

Not only do the bigger muscles get tired less they are also much stronger which means faster.

IMHO small paddle blades are great for bad technique, women and children.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 09:03:49 AM »
I think what Ninja is referring to is that if you get sore shoulders you are paddling with your arms not your body.  If you go hard and try to be fast with this kind of technique sore shoulders become torn or permanently damaged ones.

If you have increased the amount your are paddling you should have sore obliques, lats and muscles associated with twisting.  Try to lock your bottom arm and pull yourself past the point the blade is deeply planted in the water.  As above a great way to force yourself to lock is to use 3 fingers loosely on the shaft like a hook.  None of this will work unless you reach and twist.

Not only do the bigger muscles get tired less they are also much stronger which means faster.

IMHO small paddle blades are great for bad technique, women and children.

you might be onto something here. when i distance paddle its my lats/obliques that are sore, when i surf it's my shoulders that are sore/painful. i think when i am getting into a wave i have a tendency to ditch the technique and do short, quick stroked with my arms/shoulders. next time i am out i will try the short/quick technique using my back/core more.

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 09:26:23 AM »
the shorter the paddle the smaller the blade the easier on your shoulders.  Here's a suggestion, buy an adjustable paddle like the Kialoa Hinalea adj and try between 5-6 inches over your height.  Bend your knees, get down low, bend your shoulders and pull with your back(lats).  If you don't want to drop 200 for an adjustable Hinalea.  Buy a cheap adj paddle for 100 and trim it down to a 7.5 to 8" blade width with a dremel....sand and go surf.

While on the water, try dipping less blade in the water to simulate less paddle area nad try to get an idea of whether that helps the problem.

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 09:08:23 PM »
a few thoughts -
- don't over grip the paddle shaft and handle
- keep your lower arm and wrist in line with each other (same with top hand and wrist).
- are you using torso rotation to paddle?  add 1/4 turn in your torso for the forward stroke so it's not just your arms doing all the work. 
- i'm 6-5 220lbs and love the Werner Nitro for the narrow blade width. i already had a bout with tendinitis in kayaking years ago and found the narrow blades reduce shoulder tension.  the Werner/Infnity Ottertail blade might be good as well. 
 - i use the same paddle length for both surfing and flat water for power and control, bracing, etc. for me it's 86". 
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 11:36:32 PM »
Indian Clubs - just try them, get really light ones, it's about mobility and flexibility - not strength. Every one over 40 should use them every day IMO :)

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 03:29:55 AM »
Indian Clubs - just try them, get really light ones, it's about mobility and flexibility - not strength. Every one over 40 should use them every day IMO :)

Oh, so I don't need them because I'm only 34 ;)

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 06:35:15 AM »

Oh, so I don't need them because I'm only 34 ;)

Oh and of course everybody under 40 with sore shoulders ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal