Author Topic: SUP epoxy ding repair- What do you use?  (Read 39439 times)

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUP epoxy ding repair- What do you use?
« on: September 03, 2010, 08:38:11 AM »
Solarez or ??

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP epoxy ding repair- What do you use?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 09:44:14 AM »
Solarez is only temporary. First of all, see if it's a leaker. Easiest way is to give her a kiss--put you mouth on the board and suck. You can easily see the difference between a chip or dent and a break through the skin. If it's not leaking then solarez might be fine. If it is and you want to use the board then clear packing tape is your temporary fix. A Solarez patch is too likely to work loose and start invisibly leaking. Either get it fixed properly or fix it yourself. The biggest question is how pretty it needs to be. A pro will get it perfect if you want to pay for that.

If you want to try yourself, here's the place to get the info: http://www.boardlady.com/repairbasics.htm
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 10:00:19 AM »
 It looks like your located in Carp.

you can get good advise and epoxy at Fierglass Hawaii located in Ventura.

http://www.fiberglasshawaii.com/

good luck

LagoonSurfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 06:24:41 AM »
I've tried a few things and even contact SouthPoint for some advise. They advised:

"You can wet sand out the scratches in your board with 220 grit wet-dry sandpaper. Then paint it with ordinary hardware store "rattle cans" of spray paint. We've had great luck with Rust-Oleum and Krylon brands.

Really deep scratches or gouges can be filled with automotive auto body putty ("bondo"). Mix the material, fill the area, sand to shape and smooth, then paint as mentioned.

Aloha,

South Point Epoxy team"

I use Loctite Epoxy putty. The directions are on the package but what you are doing is pinching a piece off and mixing it with a little water. Work the putty into the ding after sanding the rough edges of the top coat  to get it smooth with the epoxy underneath. When you've sanded the board smooth and it's had time to dry spray the spray paint on in layers over about an hour. Not too much at once.

*I do wish they would make the top coat a little more durable on SUPs (as a side note!).

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 07:43:16 AM »
be carefull using the auto type bondo or other fillers that are not epoxy they will melt the foam in your board. Also if the ding is big enough for putty you should probably seal it with glass.

LagoonSurfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 09:17:31 AM »
That's good to know re:auto bondo putty. I never have used it. I have used the Loctite--you can get it around here at least in surf shops. It does no such damage to your board. *This is the same stuff most people around here attach their paddle handle with after cutting it to desired height.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 09:30:07 AM »
i've used slow cure marine epoxy found at home depot (was told to use this by a well known shaper). dont use the fast cure stuff, like bondo, it get's too hot and will melt the board.

also have heard of people using that spray foam that you use around the house to fill in cracks and voids. people have used this for big gouges and dings. i personally have not used this method yet.

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 02:03:26 PM »
Solarez is only temporary. First of all, see if it's a leaker. Easiest way is to give her a kiss--put you mouth on the board and suck. You can easily see the difference between a chip or dent and a break through the skin. If it's not leaking then solarez might be fine. If it is and you want to use the board then clear packing tape is your temporary fix. A Solarez patch is too likely to work loose and start invisibly leaking. Either get it fixed properly or fix it yourself. The biggest question is how pretty it needs to be. A pro will get it perfect if you want to pay for that.

If you want to try yourself, here's the place to get the info: http://www.boardlady.com/repairbasics.htm

Thanks for that.  I have a couple leakers in a used board I bought. Not worried about pretty-  it's white and I can use white spray paint like I used to on my older epoxy sailboards once I do the repair.  I used to take all my repairs that I couldn't do myself to Eva  ( boardlady )  as she was only 15 mins. south of me in Ventura.  I miss her and her incredible craftsmanship.  I'll check the link.   Thanks.

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 11:03:23 PM »
Will Loctite Epoxy putty be OK on a Surftech Tuflite board?
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 11:47:54 PM »
Just use simple epoxy based "putty" you find in supermarkets, like:
http://epoxyputty.co.uk/epoxy/product/41472496-1951-aw/
These consumer-grade products have the benefit of being less toxic.
The trick is to push on it like a madman, to be sure it adheres well and leave no micro-leaks, and shape it while still soft to avoid as much sanding as possible (cutter and wet finger or credit card).

If the ding is leaking air, I advise to:
   * remove the pressure vent, so that air bubbling through the leak will not disrupt your repairing
      (or work in a constant temperature place. or move the board to a cooler place to ensure
      it will  suck the repair stuff in)
   * apply a layer of liquid epoxy stuff (quick araldite glue for instance) to render the ding airproof
   * then, once hardened, apply the epoxy putty as above.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:50:52 PM by colas »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 05:31:17 AM »
This stuff mixes to make a slow curing paste.

DJ

johnrg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 03:56:52 PM »
I've used Marine Tex for production boards and light custom epoxy boards (all windsurf gear). For my new Bark/Surftech 12.6 I would use the same. Easy to use, proven and available everywhere including most Ace hardware stores.

http://www.marinetex.com/

John

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 02:31:17 AM »
You know the stuff that comes in a long tube that you break off a piece, knead it in your hands then jam it like putty into a ding? The stuff works great!!! If you don't like the dark gray color of the putty, as above spray with paint for a close match. Soon after purchase, I don't really care how my board looks so I rarely paint the dings.

LagoonSurfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 11:51:06 AM »
JC50 -- that's the Loctite stuff I was talking about. It works great. Pinch a little off, knead it into the wound after mix it with a little water, let it dry, sand it down with a fine sand paper grit, then spray paint it over. Works great.  ;)

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 05:06:23 AM »
Same epoxy you use for your paddle handle (overnight stuff, not 5 minute)  It's available at ACE hardware and is about $4 / per kit. 
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal