Author Topic: Orange County SUP Spots for a newbie?  (Read 13645 times)

werkSUPrider

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Orange County SUP Spots for a newbie?
« on: August 27, 2010, 11:13:26 AM »
I've been paddling flat water 4 times a week for the last 6 weeks. I think I'm ready to start catching waves. I'm trying to decide where to paddle out for my first SUP surf session. I'm looking for a mellow crowd that's newbie SUP friendly.
I've been surfing (prone) for over 25 years and always bring the Aloha spirit. No need to get bent out of shape for one wave.
Anyway, I understand we can surf south of the hammer at Doheny or Dog Patch at SanO. I was leaning towards Dog Patch. But any recommendations would be great.
Thanks,
Jeff

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Orange County SUP Spots for a newbie?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 11:31:04 AM »
Yeah
Dog Patch is mellow, perhaps even gutless.
I don't think it will hurt you.

Should be friendly with other Sup'ers.
Perhaps, some will even give you pointers.

On weekends get there super early.
Things fill up fast.

Sup-position
Starboard Dealer
Huntington Beach, California, USA
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

werkSUPrider

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 11:51:41 AM »
Sounds good, yep we surf the trails early Saturday mornings and see the line going into SanO. I may have to invest in a "mule" to drag the SUP down the trails. Have you paddled at the trails? Any other spots would be great hear about.
Thanks for the input

Smokey Carter

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 12:47:44 PM »
trails rocks...shhhhhhh

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 01:12:20 PM »
i thought you werent allowed to SUP at the trails and were only allowed to SUP at Dogpatch?

werkSUPrider

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 01:26:03 PM »
I've seen a few SUP riders at the Trails, it's allowed. Problem is getting down and up the trail. I may have to invest in a mule lol.

Smokey Carter

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 03:05:38 PM »
SUPers don't go to trails ;)....seriously

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 03:20:13 PM »
i agree-stay away from trails!-it blows!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 03:56:04 PM »
Trails Sucks Hard and SUP'ers at Trails are subject to immediate incarceration in the waterborn paddywagon that is being uinveiled next week.

Regards,

Legal Director, SUP advocacy organization, the Human Powered Watercraft Association

(P.S. HPWA stuff has been on pause because of injury, but draft opinion letter for USCG and State of California is in final editing stages and IMHO it kics a**!)
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 04:38:44 PM »
Nice Tim!- cant wait till you post that letter-that Doho situation this morning has got me angry-and i dont even sup there.
I hear the paddywagon is that big Navy Hovercraft!-i think i would get caught on purpose just to get a ride on that thing! ;D
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 07:19:47 PM »
Go to DogPatch.  The people there are great.  We are newbies and the people there have always been very helpful.  They even cheer you on! 

Have fun! Jill

lord_sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 03:12:58 PM »
i thought you werent allowed to SUP at the trails and were only allowed to SUP at Dogpatch?

if you catch a wave within 100 ft of a surfer (prone) or swimmer at sano, doho, trails, or even d-patch, it's a misdemeanor. (average clocked takeoff speed on a small wave for a longboard is 17 mph) so techinically your going more than 5 mph on a vessel so they can get us with that law. I was told this firmly by the lifeguards recently when going out for a paddle on a small day at san-o.

I stay the hell away from other surfers nowadays just because of the hassle and the possible legal troubles. I don't even want to deal with having to fight a bs ticket or get heckeld by some proners. I come from a family of lawyers, this was the advice my loved ones gave me so I've been finding small peaks away from the crowd.

anyways, you're wide open and clear south of thors hammer at doho and the SUP contingent is very strong at d-patch and the regulars are mellow. it's those gray zone areas that are a pain. I was recently hassled at dana strands by some surfers trying to quote a similar law. total schmucks. Tim, whats the word at strands and also at salt creek?

-Lord

werkSUPrider

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 08:37:23 AM »
After 2 months of paddling flat water 3 to 5 days a week, I'm heading to the beach to surf on Monday. I plan to drop the kids off for their first day of school  :) and then (hopefully) catch my first wave on my SUP!
Right now I'm planning to hit Dog Patch, surf looks to be about 2 to 3 foot with occasional 4 foot sets.
I was just looking on Surfline and there was a guy riding an SUP at Blackies (Newport Pier) - is that a break we can ride?  It's close to work so it could be really convenient.
Anyway, I can't wait for Monday.
Thanks for all of the great input!
Jeff

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 10:05:34 AM »

if you catch a wave within 100 ft of a surfer (prone) or swimmer at sano, doho, trails, or even d-patch, it's a misdemeanor. (average clocked takeoff speed on a small wave for a longboard is 17 mph) so techinically your going more than 5 mph on a vessel so they can get us with that law. I was told this firmly by the lifeguards recently when going out for a paddle on a small day at san-o.

I stay the hell away from other surfers nowadays just because of the hassle and the possible legal troubles. I don't even want to deal with having to fight a bs ticket or get heckeld by some proners. I come from a family of lawyers, this was the advice my loved ones gave me so I've been finding small peaks away from the crowd.

anyways, you're wide open and clear south of thors hammer at doho and the SUP contingent is very strong at d-patch and the regulars are mellow. it's those gray zone areas that are a pain. I was recently hassled at dana strands by some surfers trying to quote a similar law. total schmucks. Tim, whats the word at strands and also at salt creek?

-Lord

Lord,

Strands and Salt Creek are Very.Very. Very territorial... and Creek is SOOOO crowded with kooks and wannabe pro's that it is really, really tough...

The law at Strands is that it is open for SUP from Labor Day through Memorial Day... at any time...  but watch your P's and Q's!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 10:06:47 AM »
After 2 months of paddling flat water 3 to 5 days a week, I'm heading to the beach to surf on Monday. I plan to drop the kids off for their first day of school  :) and then (hopefully) catch my first wave on my SUP!
Right now I'm planning to hit Dog Patch, surf looks to be about 2 to 3 foot with occasional 4 foot sets.
I was just looking on Surfline and there was a guy riding an SUP at Blackies (Newport Pier) - is that a break we can ride?  It's close to work so it could be really convenient.
Anyway, I can't wait for Monday.
Thanks for all of the great input!
Jeff

You can ride Blackies but SUP's generally stay to the North jetty and way far from the pier suffers...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill