Author Topic: Best small wave board?  (Read 8749 times)

Essoxlupine

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Best small wave board?
« on: February 09, 2008, 08:24:18 PM »
Guys, I need some advice.  I currently have a one board quiver-12 foot Munoz.  I need to expand!  Although, I wish we had better conditions here in SW Florida :'(, we don't and I need some advice on a new board.  We get a fair amount of knee to waist high pass waves here that provide a fairly long ride and SUP's have definetely restoked my surfing here. 
I need advice as to which boards and size are best suited to small waves.  Not many resources here to look at new boards.  The Munoz is fun when the waves are in the chest high range, but a little slow on the small ones.  Any new boards excelling in these conditions or should I stick with the Munoz?  I am 185 pounds.  There are only a couple of SUPers here and we are all on some version of the Munoz. 

Thanks in advance for any advice.  Bill

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Best small wave board?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 03:43:26 AM »
I only have a 1 board SUP quiver also. I have an 11'6" Island SUP. I like it for smalish waves, and have actualy never had it out on anything bigger than waist high. If it is waist or better, I am breaking out a Surfboard. Cheack out The Surf Shack if your around St. Pete Beach. They are running a great deal on Oxbow SUPs. You can get the board, fin, and CF paddle for less than a G. I know 2 poeple that have them, and like them a lot for the comditions around here in Pinetown. What part of SW FL are you in? I live in the Pinellas area, and I am allways looking for people to paddle with. I am actualy heading out in a few minutes to go for a chilli morning paddle.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 04:57:25 AM »
Any of the new shapes in the 10' to 10'6 range are fun in small surf here in NC. I think small boards make small surf more fun. I would never go back to a monster SUP. A small SUP is still pretty big!

supstoked

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 05:49:27 AM »
I started out with a 12' Munoz Softop and it was fun.  Surfed o.k., but the noseriding sucked.  EVERY board I have gotten since then was way better than the Munoz.  Big Red, CI Fish, 10'6 and 10' C4, custom Waldens.  The 10' C4 is an awesome surfing board.  Very close to riding a longboard.
Lots of foil boards 6’7”-7’4”, L41 TVD’s and Jimmy Lewis Strikers..

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 06:04:08 AM »
I am over here on the east side of FL and use a 10' PSH production right now.  For all around paddling in smaller surf this board works great.  STable, easy to paddle, yet can rip on a wave.  I am 5'10 195lbs (getting lighter) and have no problem on this board.  I could go smaller (like the 9'6 and may someday ) but with the 10' I can paddle to another surfing spot if the surf is poor where I am. Last week I paddled @ 2miles up towards the inlet for a sessionand then paddled back to the car.  This is why I like the 10' as I can travel. 

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 02:38:56 PM »
Essoxlupine-
The C4 10'6" is a great small wave board. I weigh 185 lbs also, and I have ridden this board in knee high to head high surf,and it has been awesome in all conditions.
ECSUP

Essoxlupine

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 03:16:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies, pics, and advice.  I live in Naples.  Looks like something in the 10-10'6" is in order.  I am trying to find out more about the Oxbow.  I wonder how it compares to the C4's?  I guess even that would be a big step up from the Munoz?

Also have to get a big, fast downwinder and fishing board.  SUPing definely makes life bearable on the GC.  Easily tripled my time on the water.

Thanks again and any more replies are appreciated.

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 02:32:13 AM »
SUPing definely makes life bearable on the GC.  Easily tripled my time on the water.

That is the main reason I wanted to try SUPn. Now I am hooked for life. Living on the Gulf isn't the best place to be a Surfer. But with the SUPs it makes it almost bareable :D . I get soo much more time on the water, and I can Surf ankle high dribble with it, something I couldn't do even on a longboard.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 03:42:03 PM »
I wasn't sure if you meant "small" wave board or "small wave" board.

For small waves my first choice would be the new bigger Bonga..The Walden..It's 10'10"

Here's a link.. http://www.surfindustries.com/products/waldenSUP.php

It has a stepped rial like the Bong..but much wider and more stable..It should also work well in bigger waves.

I had a go on it the other day on flat water and was very impressed.

also..if you're 185 lbs (85kg) you might be at the upper weight range for a 10'6" like my Naish..

I'm only 88kg and mine only just floats me..Not sure about the other 10'6"s.

DJ

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 03:49:11 PM by DavidJohn »

Essoxlupine

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 06:32:09 PM »
Small wave, as in something to make the most of the teeny waves here in the Gulf of Mexico.  Is 10' too small to get the glide on the small ones?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 11:05:48 PM »
Small wave, as in something to make the most of the teeny waves here in the Gulf of Mexico.  Is 10' too small to get the glide on the small ones?

To be honest..I think so..but it depends on your skill level.

I'm sure others will disagree with me on this but I think a bigger board might be better for you.

DJ

Byronmaui

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 11:20:07 PM »
I would have to agree with David that you should go with a 10 - 10'6 board with those size waves. I would personally go with the C4 as they work well with those size waves. They provide good flotation and manuverability. Another board that looked interesting in real life is the Foote surfboard. I have never ridden one but heard good things. Oh I forgot the 10 PSH all arounder is a good board too. Looks like your best bet is to get a quiver...lol

Aloha

Byron

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 08:26:27 AM »
I have the 11x28 Foote. Bill designed it for someone around 185 lbs or so. I'm 225lbs and it works great for me. The thing is perfect in small waves. I have to work a little harder to balance it because I'm so heavy but it's not unreasonable. I did a downwind in 25 mph wind with chop all over the place, stopped along the way to surf and it did the job well. If you ride the Munoz, and you are 185, this board will seem very stable for you.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 09:47:06 AM »
Look at the 12' 6 starboard.  You can catch waves that are not breaking with it.  You have to learn how to ride it, but I think it is a great choice for small, easy breaking waves.  I rode it for six months in mostly smaller surf under 6 ft and it performed well in all of it.  It is a tanker, but the glide connects sections.

You can also windsurf on it, or cruise around like a kayak. 

I am now riding a 10' 6 and will probably go shorter, but I am using this board in bigger surf.  For the real small stuff, this summer I will probably break out the 12' 6.

Essoxlupine

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 07:51:11 PM »
Thanks for the reply,  I've been also looking for a downwinder-flatwater-fishing board and the Starboard was on that list.  If it's versatile enough (and surfs as good or better than the Munoz) it may be just the thing for me.  Thanks.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill