Author Topic: Naish board broken. Is it?  (Read 6602 times)

serpico3

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Naish board broken. Is it?
« on: August 25, 2010, 06:51:28 AM »
Hi Guys,

I have a naish 11' 6'' sup (think its 2008 model wavey swirls on wooden deck)

Bought it off a guy who had the naish grey padding stuck down on top to match the pattern.

Been on flat water most and it seemed fine.

Now though spent week in surf and noticed following:

Started to form a bubble below  the decking, seems to be around the mast track.

As the weather was sunny it has gotten worse.

I now have a 12 inch wide bubble raised about an inch from the deck???!

The Pad is completely covering this area and there are no cuts to investigate. I'm pretty sure the desk is ok as I can press this down to feel the deck, but there still is an ever present air bubble.

COULD THIS BE IT?

I was thinking there may be a vent on this board (??? not sure) and it may have been left open. With all the surfing this week and hotter weather due to the flexing of the board in the surf and heat it may have released more air from the open vent, hence the problem.

Really don't know, need your advice please. I'm heading surfing in a few days so wanted to know how to proceed.

Haven't cut through deck pad as it seems to be the only thing sealing this board if there  is an open vent at the minute. (assuming vent plug does exist)

As you can see I am clueless atm

Any help appreciated.

(was going to send pic but not at board atm)

Thanks

Serpico

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Naish board broken. Is it?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 09:27:48 AM »
Take it a repair guy and have the deck stuck back down.

Because it started near the mast insert, check for leaks around it. Windsurf rigs place high loads on that insert and that insert creates a hard spot in the deck.

While it's in for repair have a goretex vent installed for peace of mind.

serpico3

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 09:36:52 AM »
Its never had a windsurf mast on it as the deckpad covers the whole area.

Does this year of sup come with a vent plug already installed? Thats what I don't know???

(If no vent plug what does the air escaping mean?)

Thanks

Serpico

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 11:09:04 AM »
Its never had a windsurf mast on it as the deckpad covers the whole area.

Does this year of sup come with a vent plug already installed? Thats what I don't know???

(If no vent plug what does the air escaping mean?)

Thanks

Serpico

I think you might be confused about what the vent does. Having the vent open prevents the deck bubbling. Having it closed puts the board at risk of getting a bubble when exposed to high heat. If there is a vent, it would look like a screw flush with the deck someplace.

Surfing with the vent open doesn't cause the bubble, but it does add water weight to the core. For that reason, most people keep the vents closed all the time to prevent forgetting to close it when surfing. That's why goretex has become popular. You get automatic venting without you having to mess with it.

It's not that hard to fix. Get the deck stuck back down and install a goretex vent to ensure the repair doesn't bubble again.

It is important to get it fixed ASAP before the bubble grows and ruins the board.

serpico3

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 01:11:52 PM »
Thanks but I'm not explaining this well and I can't get the pictures uploaded from camera to show  >:(

The board has not warped or bubbled. There is just air caught under the deckpad. But this has come from inside the board after I had been surfing for a week in the sun.

I understand vent plugs, I have them on all my windsurf boards.

What I dont know is does a 2008 11' 6" naish nalu have a vent plug ?

I can't see cause the grey deck pad covers everything!

Anyone know?

Cheers

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 01:54:43 PM »
So the glue holding your deck pad is coming off and the pad bubbled up. Cut it and use 3M spray adhesive number 77 to stick it back down.

If it has a vent screw, you can't miss it. Somewhere near the front of the deck pad.

serpico3

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 02:02:56 PM »
This is my problem I cannot see if there is a vent screw because of the 6 foot deck pad stuck over everything, mast track, handle the lot.

I've screen grabbed this shot from the naish site, its all I can go on. That is my board.

Can anyone see if theres a vent screw on that mast track anywhere?

CB1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 02:59:46 PM »
My old Naish 11'6 had the vent plug just in front of the mast track.  You should be able to feel it if it's under the deck pad. 

supSURFmachines
Longboard 9'2" x 29.5" x 4.25  140L
AC Grande - 8'5" x 31" x 4 3/8  135L
Wide Ripper - 7'8" x 30.75"  105L

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 03:09:44 PM »

The board has not warped or bubbled. There is just air caught under the deckpad.
Anyone know?

Cheers

If the 'real' problem is just 'air caught under the deck pad' why title the thread 'Naish board broken' .. anyway..   ;) .. welcome to the Zone..  :D

These were the very first Naish SUP's and it's going back a few years now.. I'm sure the hand hole is not at the balance point.. My local SUP shop had them for demo and also just stuck the grey oval pad straight over the vent plug.. They had these boards out in the sun all day every day for years and demo'd almost every day.. It's amazing how well they held up.. and I've seen many demo/rental boards (not just Naish) bubble under the deck pad just like what yours has done.

I would remove the whole deck pad and just stick a new one on.. and this time cut a hole so you can access the vent screw.. For the peace of mind when the old deck pad is removed you could put soapy water over the board in the shade and then move the board into the sun and check for any soap bubbles from air leaking from the board.. I'm sure it will be fine.. I would also replace the rubber 'o' ring on the vent screw.. Good luck with it.

DJ
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:16:14 PM by DavidJohn »

serpico3

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 05:17:27 PM »
Thanks for the info and that image is exactly what I need to trace if there is a  vent.

Really helpful.

Didn't mean to confuse with subject title but not sure about construction of sups and thought maybe the air release meant board was broken, hoping something less severe...

I will report back with what I can find out knowing the layout of whats under the deck pad now.

Many thanks all. Really helpful bunch. I'll be sticking around as I love this sup thing I've discovered. Over in Ireland and there's only a few of us starting into it but I love it...!

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal