Author Topic: dreaming of small SUP that is good for wave sailing  (Read 10317 times)

andyb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
dreaming of small SUP that is good for wave sailing
« on: August 23, 2010, 12:15:10 AM »
I live in Scotland so we often have wind with our waves.
Looking for a small SUP mainly for surfing but should be fun to windsurf.
Can't find any information on surfing ability of RRD Wassup 8'5 or windsurfing abilities of small Starboards (7'4, 7'11 and 8'5) and Nah Skwell. Sea Lion looks too windsurf orientated.
Am I dreaming? My waves are usually quick beachies rather than the endless waves in so many videos on here. Will a small SUP that surfs really well also be fun to windsurf ie get up wind and have some planing ability? I'm sold on the idea of not needing footstraps.
I'm already competent surfing small SUPs and wavesailing waveboards in strong winds.

Andy

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: dreaming of small SUP that is good for wave sailing
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 09:21:10 AM »
I'm curious about this as well. 

At what point does standard wave windsurfing equipment become more reasonable than smaller SUP based equipment?

I don't think any of the SB SUPs are built to handle jumps (or horrible dumps with rigs attached that come with playing in larger surf).

There is a video on youtube that shows the RRD 8'5" and their 9'6" being sailed (looked really fun considering the wind strength).  Feedback elsewhere on this forum have had positive feedback on the 8'5" (fun to surf and sail).  In my eyes, this does look to be a great shape for beach break.

The small SBs look good too (the 7'11" or the 8'5" Pro), but I haven't seen/heard feedback on anyone sailing these boards.

Pensacola

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
I am not sure the Juno beach video is a good gauge. Nothing against RRD, he designs/shapes some awesome boards. But the waves in that video are pretty close to logo high. I think any, shortish sailing SUP would perform pretty well. And the wind does look to be about a solid 15, (not alot of pumping needed), so it was breezy.
I would like to see the 8'5" in SUP only mode to gauge its speed and maneuverability. Maybe we will see some additional vds later. It is however wayy cool that designers are leaning towards a dual purpose SUP because most of the time there is wind to contend with.

SUPerSwede

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 11:03:25 AM »
Nah Skwell 7'8". Fantastic. The sweet spot is small but it picks up waves (paddling) from about 40cms of onshore crap.

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 09:30:14 AM »
Bumping this back up -

Anyone have any feedback on the new shapes that came out since this last posting (Fanatics, Starboards, RRDs, all the others)?

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 03:52:42 PM »
 A lot of the Nah Skwell's have the windsurf option... Also: the new Exocet SUPs that just hit the States have it too... My buddy Dasher has the Exocet Evo 9'6 and says it's a blast for both sup-surf and wind-surf...    Paddle on,       JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 08:00:37 PM »
Every SUP board I've sailed has been a pure blast.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 09:03:14 AM »
Since you asked about the windsurfing of the new Fanatics here are my observations

Fly All Arounders They ALL sail great in both flatwater and waves. fast enough to jump a little great on faces of waves from logo to ankle high. Flatwater well as a freestyle or just a sail around they are perfect. If you wanna compare them to a freeride windsurfer they just aren't fast nor do they plane that early,but in sub 15mph these boards are alot of fun

AllWave GREAT lightwind wave boards I'm a big guy I liked the 9'11 and the 9'6" The 9'2 and 8'10 need more wind (over 15mph) for me. The AllWave can easily stay upwind and on the face of a wave they ride very fish like (loose & fast) I upgraded the stock fins to bigger (a little) and stiffer. These are the best all around board for intermediate to Pro level ridders less experienced (paddlers or WS) are better served with the Fly.

If you have more specific questions feel free to PM or email me

JimK
www.extyremewindsurfing.com

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal