Author Topic: Better SUP Sailing board - Naish 11'4" or Starboard Blend  (Read 6764 times)

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Better SUP Sailing board - Naish 11'4" or Starboard Blend
« on: August 12, 2010, 06:09:22 AM »
Anyone out there have experience sailing these boards?

Light winds, chest high surf and lower, smaller sails are the conditions I want to use a board of this size in.  I am 180 (and have windsurfed/kited/sup'd) - this is a question to determine which of these two boards SUP Sails better - I'm not looking outside of these two.

I have other boards to windsurf better conditions - I am looking to fill this void.

Thanks -

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Better SUP Sailing board - Naish 11'4" or Starboard Blend
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 09:31:41 AM »
 They're a little too long for my taste. I'm 175 to 180 and I like my Nah Skwell 7'8" when the wind picks up to around 15 knts or more. In these pics I'm on it with a 5.2 Aerotech Phantom sail...    Later,      JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

cammar

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 11:23:27 PM »
I've never sailed any of them, and you say you're not looking outside of those two, but this is a major bragging opportunity I can't miss... :)

I love the Starboard 10.5 for light wind wave sailing. Ending up on the cover of Windsurfing mag is not the only reason. That board is really fun.

It strongly depends on what kind of conditions you sail. You mention the size, but what's the wave period (and wind direction)? The smaller the period, the better a shorter board will be. And the 10.5 will float you just fine.

Oh yeah, the bragging: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_czUfPbJKZic/S7I2py9mVAI/AAAAAAAAGeM/t02Ejkd0xj8/s1600/windsurfing+cover+real.jpg

Scottiver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 02:11:26 AM »
I sailed my Naish 11'4" on a lake while camping last week. The wind was maybe 5-15 and holey, the sail was a 5.3 bump and jump sail. The wind was pretty flukie but I got it onto a plane a few times and it felt really sluggish, like it didn't want to be on a plane.
It was pretty good for just cruising aroung though and did an OK job of going up wind if you pushed it.
I'll think I'll stick with paddling it out to out of the way surf spots and having fun surfing it. It's really good at doing that.  :)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 04:09:08 AM »
..... it felt really sluggish, like it didn't want to be on a plane.

I wonder if that is the reason windsurfing a SUP hasn't caught on, like so many thought it would.

I'll bet the Naish Glides are way more fun to windsurf because a downwind rocker is like a windsurf rocker. Fast to plane! I want to cry when I think about Naish deleting the mast insert on Glides  :'(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal