Author Topic: 9'8" Donald Takayama - The SUP  (Read 13415 times)

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • MSN Messenger - roloar08@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
9'8" Donald Takayama - The SUP
« on: August 09, 2010, 04:05:30 PM »
Mine arrived today... Killer paint & graphics... Looking forward to catch some waves with it!!

BTW I was surprised by its thickness (or lack of it) and how soft the rails are... Very nice!! Bottom is rolled so it doesn't has any hard rail (maybe a bit towards the end the tail)... I bet it surfs like an old school longboard... I'll try it tomorrow and let you guys know...

So for, thumbs up for Surftech & the master Takayama...

Anyone riding this board in here? Any input is welcome...

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: 9'8" Donald Takayama - The SUP
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 06:38:58 PM »
That sounds like a really sweet ride.  I'd be all over that board if we had decent enough waves in New England to ride a board like that.  You cannot go wrong with a Donald shape (I have a Noah Ka Oi & DT-2 longboard, & an 11'0" Ali'i SUP).  You'll be able to anything you want to do on that board, and probably some stuff you didn't know you wanted to do - enjoy!

Lewis

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 05:53:46 AM »
Hello from Brasil,

Just made my first trial last friday at 2 ft waves ( flat! ) .
I have a Tak 11´Alli ( great all around and also surf SUP board!!!! ) .
At my 48 years old and a little overweight (188/189 pounds ) I had some difficulties to stand on my new Tak 9,8´but after a little while ( and considering the horrible surf conditions this saturday) things went okay . I am really looking forward to better swell conditions in order to make a real and honest " test drive"
Will keep you guys posted.
abraços
Lewis

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 07:21:56 AM »
Aloha Lewis,

Glad to hear that... I had that 11 footer as well and I undestand what you're going through (tippyness) from one board to the other. I weigh 200lbs.  and the 9'8 floats me with no problem. In fact, I'm so in love with that Tak that I ended up buying the other two models as well (Noah's 9'4 & Menehune 8'8).

The 9'8 SUP is my board to go when I want to do a classic surf style with tons of noseridings... BTW noseriding in that board is an A+!! Probably the best noserider board I've ridden along with the 8'8 Menehune.

Well, it takes a while to get used to its tippyness but they pay back big time when on a wave...

Lewis

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 04:19:57 AM »
Aloha Bob,
If I am not wrong I saw you in a movie at You Tube ( Am I right?)
Nice to meet you then !

As I mentioned I had my new Tak last friday and regretfully without good chances to ride it ( 2 ft waves , if this can be called " waves" ) but even-though at small waves I felt it flowing in my vain ... Can´t wait for a good swell .
Indeed "nose ride" is just a insanity on Tak boards . Love it on my 11´and can´t wait to step ahead on my new 9,8...! The 9,4 and 8´8 you are carrying were also on "my spot"  but at the end I thought it could be a little too much challenging ...
I really understand your appreciation for Tak ...
Tak boards are definitely a " must have " !

BTW it is interesting that only two Brazilians are posting comments about the 9,8 Tak .
Donald should come down here and pay us a beer!

All the best to you ..and to the friend from New England who also dropped a comment . Actually he is also invited for a beer in Brazil if he has a chance.
Aloha

Big Al

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 05:07:06 PM »
Would love to hear more feedback on the menehune.  I'm considering it but am afraid it will not be suited for East Coast conditions.  I can't seem to find any reviews??? If you've ridden it please let us know.  Thanks in advance.

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
Would love to hear more feedback on the menehune.  I'm considering it but am afraid it will not be suited for East Coast conditions.

Are you kiddin' me?! This board is perfect for East Coast... As a matter of fact IMO all the new TAKs are, especially the Menehune and the Noah Ka Oi.

Why I say that? Because they're freaking fast!! You can carve from a hard bottom and go vertical into no time. The 8'8 is perfect for that!! I was surprised to see that the 9'4 behaves as radical as the 8'8. Quite the opposite from the 9'8 as this board is pure soul surfing, really classy... The other two (Menehune & Noah) are unbelievable boards... Speed & bam!! Lots of spray...

Noseriding: Mr. Takayama knows it all... At first I was a little disappointed because all of them have flat nose sections (and I was expecting some concave) but he nailed it right as with the flat section in the bottom nose those boards don’t lose speed and, therefore, they can noseride into steeper sections as in beach breaks. It only take a step to reach Menehune’s nose and you can camp on that nose forever. IMO that board is a little bit easier than then Noah’s 9’4 and, because it only takes one cross stepping  to wrap your toes around the nose, I call it tight with the 9’8 noseriding abilities.

Downside: they are tippy boards. I’m 5’7 and 200 lbs. and have no problem to manage those boards but all of you taller than me will at first. So I advice to take ‘em out on a glassy day than build your skills for choppier days. At the end, they worth the lack of comfort trying to keep balance because they surf like heaven…

The two pics below illustrate how fast they are (bottom turn, noseriding & off the top). You can see this was a chopy and windy day and those sections (beach break) were really fast. First two pics are the Noah Ka Oi 9’4 and the last the Menehune 8’8.

Mahalo from Brazil,
Bob.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 01:47:35 PM »
oh man BfB, you're killing it.  And I love that noseriding shot, beautiful.  thanks!

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 03:13:11 PM »
Bob from Brazil,
Are you a switchfoot? Nice going if your are.
Rare thing now days.

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 02:10:01 AM »
Bob from Brazil,
Are you a switchfoot? Nice going if your are.
Rare thing now days.

Oh, I wish I was... Those pics were taken during a heat and I lended the Menehune to this friend of mine. So, that's me in the Noah Ka Oi and a friend in the Menehune. He won the competition with the Menehune. As he is used to surf with custom lightweight SUP boards, I can tell the Menehune is up for the task when it comes down to competition...

Lewis

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 04:31:12 PM »
Hey Bob ,
GREAT PICS !!!!! Really GREAT!!!!
By the way , I had my second trial with the 9,8 last Sunday .
What a greaaaat board! 
Still deraming about the noserides....
can't wait for the next weekend!

Big Abraço
Aloha
Lewis

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
Bob,

I am just wondering how the board is going and wanting to thank you for your posts about the same on the net.    I am a keen longboarder and canoeist from Australia who had a go on an SUP demos a few months back and am hooked.  Over the decades I have won heaps of old mal comps which I hope says something about my style.  As such, I am looking for a really nice first SUP I can glide around on doing a bit of traditional stuff but still with a bit of go.  From what you have written about the 9'8' it sounds perfect?  I FaceBooked Noah from the Takayama team and he thinks likewise.

As I don't know anyone else over here in Australia with the same model - well honestly I haven't even seen one - I appreciate all the feedback I can get.  What I do know is I have ridden a few Takayama Surftechs before and they have always gone great and suited me.  My 9'6" cruiser longboard is based on a Takayama blank, so I am guessing I can't go wrong?

I am also  guessing that once I have a nice cruiser SUP I will be looking at something like the 8'8" above to get a bit more radical on (well at least after a bit of falling off and a few hard lessons!)

Thanks, Shane  
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:57:38 PM by Surfershane »

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 03:55:02 AM »
Hey Shane,

I'm a Surftech Rep in Brazil. I believe you will have a hard time to find one of the short Taks SUPs as they have been discontinued for 2012. So my advice is: if you're really looking for a Tak board, buy it while they're still available.

Last year I met Donald at Hawaii and asked him why he designed such narrow boards. His response was plain and simple: - If you want to paddle, go on and by a board for it; my board are meant to be surfed.

I kind of agreed to him. However, for a first board non of Donlad's short SUPs are easy for beginners, not even the 9'8. At 27" wide, that board needs some skills to master balance. But, if you're looking for a classic longboard feeling, seek no more. I love that board. Along with the 8'8 and the 9'4, those taks will be kept in my board quiver forever.

Speaking of forever, Surftech boards can handle serious beaten without crashing. I have surfed North Shore 12' to 15' (hawaiian foot) in a 9'4 and it can ride those bomb as well can handle all of wipe outs without breaking. The 8'8 and the 9'4 can noseride as a Tak board but they perform in a more progressive way than then 9'8, which for me is a classical board. Taks boards are IMO the best rail to rail action out there.

Another board that I've liked a lot is the Laird Pearson Model, specially the 10 footer which is 28.5" wide. Lot easier for begginers, but still very fast (thanks to is super short rails and thin nose and tail). Of course, given it's larger nose (in the range of 22") master shaper Bob Pearson really nailed a good board for Laird.

Another surprise for me was the 9'1 Al Merrick model. I haven't ridden the 9'7 but it looks like a stretched 9'1. This board is easy on balance, good performing boards and can noseride. I wasn't expecting a good noseriding board from Al, but it look like's gone the right way: short boards are short boards and you can expect a surfer to hi perf surf. When it comes down to SUP boards your should be simply have fun.

Regards from Brazil,
Bob.

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 11:01:08 PM »
Bob,

Firstly, hanks heaps for your swift reply!

Yes you are right; today I was talking to the Surftech rep over here - Pete -  getting that board would be a drama and take a long time.  Luckily he had a couple of original Laird ten footers and offered me one at a really good price.  It seems to also be 27" wide?  If so, I don't find this a drama.  It is a nice powerful singlefin with great lines and a decent looking nose for riding.  I saw one of the later model Pearson Laird's yesterday still prefer the original.

The width is actually a real plus for me.  I totally agree with Donald.  When I trialled the entire range of another manufacturers boards  a month or so  back I found anything 29" or wider went like barges once you were up.  It was a total turn-off!  I was also surprised that every board in their range were pin tails.  On my cruising/traditional mals I really prefer a square tail.

I didn't find it any harder to paddle the lower volume boards.  I guess in this respect I might be a bit of a natural (or maybe even mildly arrogant and extra determined)?  I suppose too surfing every day, all that Canadian canoeing and my odd go at riding the things on waves has helped?  

I know I am going to fall off a bit, but for me this is all part of the process.  From the few days I have spent on the things I found this mostly had to do with the conditioning of my leg muscles when I was still.  This happened no matter the size of the board.  I put it down to the need to do some proprioceptor training, which will come with the everyday paddle.  Luckily I live on a yacht, so there is no shortage of flat-water for me to get used to the thing before I hit any serious surf.  For the big stuff those old Laird's seem to have a bit more nose rocker for taking it on.  What a challenge!

I know in the past I have spoken to people like Sam Egan - shaper and Luke Egan's father - and he told me how some people have real problem adapting to stand up paddling.   Nonetheless, he didn't have too many dramas and Luke is proving to be a definite "natural".  I am now also beginning  understand why a lot of surfers like him rely on custom made boards.  Hopefully I am going to find the things just as much fun, well at least if I can find "that" board.

Thanks again for your time.  You never know we might even run into each other out there some day?

All the best, Shane Ross
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:12:10 PM by Surfershane »

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 06:44:35 PM »
Ok, the 27" wide Laird is a bit "tippy"; well bloody tippy for a beginner!  Still, I am stoked with it's performance once on a wave.  To see how it would function I have taken it out, unfortunately only in one foot surf, as a conventional mal and found she absolutely flew around difficult sections.  The thing is fast and carves.  It is a real turn-on imagining how she will go in bigger surf.  These thoughts - or dreams - are enough to keep me on her till I get a bit more integrity in my leg muscles and start paddling confidently.  

I have only had her two days now, but have still been able to snag a couple of nice noserides.  While the Takayama would have been a lot better in this respect, I am still more than pleased with the Laird.  I would agree with Bob though that most beginners should look for a wider board.  I am just lucky I am already an experienced surfer with a lot of time on my hands and more than a little dose of determination.  Call me a glutton for punishment or even a sadomasochist because as soon as my body stops hurting I am back out for an arvo session!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 06:47:56 PM by Surfershane »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal