Author Topic: Towing...behind your SUP?  (Read 13942 times)

finsider

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Towing...behind your SUP?
« on: August 05, 2010, 11:04:35 AM »
Okay so most touring SUPs are big enough to store enough gear and the kitchen sink to bring with them right on their deck.  But my question is this, has anyone actually towed anything behind them while paddling? Even another SUP?  Maybe you were training for a race and towed something behind you for increased drag?

The reason I'm asking this is because I am looking for a way to bring a plethra of camping/fishing gear on some exploring paddling. My main goal is to be able to take my mountain bike with homemade SUP carrier with me wherever I go! Also things like fishing rods, tent, food, etc. I know that technically I could just use a huge 14 to 18 foot racing board but they are a bit lacking in the width department for me, and I believe it would be easier to tow a seperate device behind me.  The more I type the more crazy this sounds to me, but now my brain won't rest until I figure out a way to accomplish this. All Criticism and comments accepted!
Where there is wind, there is a wave

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Towing...behind your SUP?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 11:20:47 AM »
Maybe you can tow an I sled behind the board. These are what they tow behind jest skis and pick up tow in Surfers in the impact zone. Also Lifeguards here in Hawaii use them for rescues. They are Wide and THICK and can easily float 2 people, so stowing gear on them would be easy. They also have handle/straps all around the board so stowing stuff would be easy and it's inflatable !!!

http://store.c4waterman.com/C4-iSled-inflatable-PWC-sled-p/c4-isled.htm

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 06:35:08 PM »
I've towed other SUPs...it sucks...constant little tugs and pulls...it works but not fun.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 09:02:40 PM »
I used to tow my little girl in an Inner tube. I know exactly what you mean about the little tugs that keep you off balance but Dam that was good training towing her around with her but dragging in the water.   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 10:52:03 PM »
I towed a small rubber raft behind my ancient Windsurfer all around the San Juan Islands for one and a half weeks many years ago--camped where I landed, did a lot of freediving for abs and box crabs, speared a few greenling and ling cod. Wonderful adventure. After days of struggling I found the best way to connect the raft was to bring it's nose right onto the back of the board. Cut way down on the shenanigans and jerking around. Worst way was a long line with a shock cord.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 11:58:22 PM »
Thats how Jet skis tow the sleds right on the back of the ski. Works for them. I think you could rig something up so it would stay on the back of the board ??

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:04:29 AM »

I've towed surfers...just for workouts after a good session...they appreciate it...

I've towed a kiddiepool...with wife in...and other inflatable...

it's not bad until you hit surf...

J.Riggs

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 02:34:15 AM »
 You can use a paddle instead of a rope for towing to eliminate the tugging. I attached the paddle handle to the leash string and my wife held on to the blade while I paddled. It worked really well! Soon I'll be attaching my two daughters and we'll make a little sup train. ;D

finsider

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 07:24:48 AM »
Thanks for input everyone!
I was thinking that as close to the tail of the board as possible would be the best, and PonoBill that is exactly what I have planned for it, but I am trying to plan a trip to the ten thousand islands in the everglades.

I read a study on towing with human powered vehicles on land a few years back and at least on land it requires much less force to pull a trailer behind a bicycle than to simply stack the bicycle with gear. For water I assume that friction and drag would impact this a lot more than on land.
Where there is wind, there is a wave

samalolo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 09:10:29 PM »
Friend of mine tows one of these around the lagoon with 3 - 4 kids on it.

I tow my daughter using my suction cup camera mount on her board, attached to my board with a coil leash.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 09:52:16 PM »
Same here with our 'party island'..  ;D

DJ

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 10:28:41 AM »
I like Jeremy's idea of a rigid connection or Bill's with it tight to the tail...maybe both... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 06:21:12 AM »
We now have a series of boards for 2011 that are hollow inside - ranging from 11'6" to 16' that are exactly for this purpose - doing multi day "expeditions" - SUP sea kayaks if you will...

More on this soon, but you can get a sneak peak here: http://imaginesurf.wordpress.com/2010/07/30/prototypes-for-2011-2/

Corran

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 07:41:55 PM »
So THIS is why you can't build me a new board until September???? Come on Bro, who is going to want to use one of these??? THere is onLy like, fifty states, and the entire world that can use those... and at least ten or eleven people who want a sub 100 liter magic Imagine Cutback!!!  Get cracking and GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT! 

Anonymous
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 08:17:57 PM »
I'd like to order one with a full basement. 

Seriously, those prototypes are really exciting.  I could see value in having storage compartments even apart from long excursions.  This could even be the first "commuter" SUP (I met someone who does).  Thanks for the preview.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal