Author Topic: Game Changer  (Read 6576 times)

Water Monkey

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Game Changer
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:20:11 PM »
As a huge kiteboarder and SUP enthusiast I find this new product to be a real revolution in the possibilities for both sports. F-one, one the the kite industries first companies, has launched a new kite specifically dedicated to SUP-kiting. The kite is designed to be more simple and easier to use than a traditional kiteboarding kite. The possibilities are endless! Very excited to try one and see how they are received. Check it out on the link below....

http://source.f-onekites.com/

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Game Changer
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 04:24:34 PM »
Only two lines sound nice and simple but without any depower it also sounds a bit scary.

DJ

joeag

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 05:08:13 PM »
Almost like a large trainer kite on short lines.  Could be fun! Wonder if it flags to leash ok if you let go.

Water Monkey

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
There are a couple options I think. One is a wrist leash connected to an outside line and the other is a 3rd line that would act much like a 5th line does on some kites. Here is some more info I found on the kite....Its going to be really interesting to see how this develops in both the kite and SUP industries.

http://www.kiteroam.com/news/gear/3229-2010_FOne_Source_Official__2_Lines_are_back

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 02:18:48 PM »
We had a couple of rental SUPs on the Pamlico Sound a few weeks ago, and one of the guys showed up with a little 2 meter stunt kite.  Not sure why, but he had one.  He flew it for all of two minutes before we tried it with the boards.  The kite-boarders nearby didn't seem impressed, but we had a blast. 

I plan to pick up one of the small power kites folks use with land boards and buggies just to goof off in the sound or the Chesapeake bay with it.  Nice change of pace from paddling. 

mrod

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 03:32:18 PM »
Pretty sweet, when you guys were trying to stunt kite was it a RAM air?

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 05:28:14 PM »
No, it was a fixed bridle kite that had no business being in the water, much less pulling a 250 pound man (and his 50 pound kid) on a paddle board, but that didn't stop us.

Pensacola

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 04:50:10 AM »
I don't know much about kiting but I had thought using a 6m kite on a SUP would be fun - much like a 6m sail.
I would think a fast moving 6m would be more fun and whippy than a 17M?
The other point would be maintaining upwind ability.
I know when I shlogg on my short board windsurfer, it is difficult to stay upwind, and only when I plane off onto the fin, am I able to stay upwind.
Nobody wants to do the walk of shame, and with a SUP and its soft edges and smallish fins, I see staying upwind as a challenge in on shore conditions.

prairie_surf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 04:38:17 PM »
Don't see any advantage to the f-one kite compared with other kites. My guess is any high torque slow speed (ram, arc, LEI or framed) kite will do. Most modern kiteboard kites are meant to propel a user at a much higher speed than what you would want on an SUP.
I'm guessing a 4m ram would do the trick. Easy setup, and enough power to pull, and if you happen to dump it in the water it packs up nice and small for the paddle in.
Imagine being on the water with an LEI and having to paddle that in....no thanks.

Surfdog93

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 06:48:42 AM »
If there's 5+ kn and waves, I'll rig my windsurfing sail.
I kited in the early days when ram-air F-one kite was the brand to buy and inflatables were not available.....I ain't going back.

cape kook

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 06:10:27 PM »
Yes, but this new sport is called "SUKing"

I am not sure I am ready to SUK.  Although I sometimes suck at SUP.  ;)
---------------
Naish Glide 14'
Fanatic Allwave 9'10"
Starboard Avanti Supertanker

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 03:13:33 PM »

I love advances, but this kite isn't very different. I guess it is an advantage with 2 lines, but clearly you would need some kind of depower option. Especially on a big board.

Here is my thought about SUP kiting.

Advantage would be to go in side to side off shore winds to access waves. The lines has to be short and the gear must be packable....the board should have an option to attach a paddle.

So: board with attachments is at least as important. Having a telescope paddle would be good for this (off shore winds needs a paddle option...or you could go prone). Kite / bar / line should be packable, and preferably not have to be inflated..but that could be okay. Light wind kiting is fun on raceboards...Personally I can't really see it on a SUP unless you have waves to tow into.

So small kite / big-ish board...I mean the SUP's are big even in small sizes.

That said..it is another outlet. 

This reminds I have 2010 Naish 7.5 cult for sale complete with brand new bar and lines ($700..in like new condition) if anyone is interested hehehe

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 03:44:09 AM »
We had a couple of rental SUPs on the Pamlico Sound a few weeks ago, and one of the guys showed up with a little 2 meter stunt kite.  Not sure why, but he had one.  He flew it for all of two minutes before we tried it with the boards.  The kite-boarders nearby didn't seem impressed, but we had a blast. 

I plan to pick up one of the small power kites folks use with land boards and buggies just to goof off in the sound or the Chesapeake bay with it.  Nice change of pace from paddling. 

my take on this owuld the same...small kite, short lines and easy depowereability.
THe whole point is to be able to tow into a wave...if you are timing it right you don't have to be planing. I don't see the super light wind application of this..if light wind and riding is what I want I think I would like to use my raceboard instead.

That said...awesome that people are doing stuff like this...it is a shot in the dark tho... might hit a niche.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill