Author Topic: Paddle Design and brands for the best price  (Read 4766 times)

werkSUPrider

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Paddle Design and brands for the best price
« on: July 28, 2010, 12:24:26 PM »
I'm pretty new to the SUP. I started 3 weeks ago on a borrowed Costco soft top (10'6") on a lake. I was hooked, a great workout and a lot of fun. I've been surfing for over 25 years. So, I sold a few old boards I had in the garage and looked for the best deal on a reasonable board. I found an 11'6" Jimmy Styks for around $800 with bag, deck pad and paddle. I've been paddling out 3 to 4 times a week and reading and watching every instructional video I can find. The paddle that came with the board was not the usual angled paddle, but a straight paddle with a curved blade. I'm sure I don't know the right terminology, but does anyone have any experience with this design, or should I upgrade to a better paddle? Thanks for your input and please pardon the newbie if this is a dumb question.

chipmonk

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paddle Design and brands for the best price
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 01:36:53 PM »
The paddle is super important. You'll have alot more fun with a good paddle...Since price is an issue, you might consider doing a fiberglass paddle, which you can geta name brand for...like $200- $250.  Quickblade has fiberglass blade Kanaha, and also Boardworks is coming out with a new fiberglass/carbon blade that loooked decent and is going to be like $219.

werkSUPrider

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 02:50:14 PM »
Thanks for the input, I think as long as I'm going to put the money out, another $100 or so won't be too bad. I'm planning on surfing and flat water paddling, I'll try to demo the paddles. I weigh about 210lbs, so should I go for a 9" blade? Been reading the forums and it's really helpful. Thanks for any input.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 04:26:43 PM »
Thanks for the input, I think as long as I'm going to put the money out, another $100 or so won't be too bad. I'm planning on surfing and flat water paddling, I'll try to demo the paddles. I weigh about 210lbs, so should I go for a 9" blade? Been reading the forums and it's really helpful. Thanks for any input.

I'm 6'4" and 200lbs and I like an 8" blade.. You will notice a huge difference with a good paddle.

You should check out the new Naish 'great value' paddle.. It has a carbon/glass construction and a reduced diameter size shaft and a great blade shape.

It's between the size as the Kialao Methane and the Shaka Pu'u (my faverite paddles) and about half the price.

I think they will cost about $200 but check with your local store.. Here's some pics that I took of it..

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67653

DJ

'
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 04:30:39 PM by DavidJohn »

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 06:31:04 PM »
Kialoa and Werner both make great paddles and the all carbon fiber paddles are light weight and strong.  I have both and use both and love them.

werkSUPrider

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 07:08:13 AM »
Thank you for the input. Is there a big difference in the carbon fiber and fiber glass on the paddles? I'm guessing weight (cabon lighter than fiberglass).
I'm trying to find a Naish in the area (Orange County, CA) and not having much luck. I'm also looking at the Quickblade Kanaha, right now I'm riding flat water, and will surf mild for a while as try to get dialed and don't want kill anyone at the bigger breaks lol.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 08:39:58 AM »
Both Werner and QuickBlade have fiberglass SUP paddles that offer best bang for the buck in design, durability, and performance...$219 and $229, respectively...the Jimmy Lewis is a knockoff of the QB 9" Kanaha...but, with a flexier FG shaft...$199...Hobie also offers an inexpensive well designed FG SUP paddle for $227...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2010/07/quickblade_sup_paddles.html

http://surfingsports.com/quick_blade_paddles.asp

http://surfingsports.com/werner_paddles.asp

The carbon shaft with fiberglass blade QB's are about 8 oz. lighter than all FG...

Carbon is lighter and stiffer than FG...better transfer of energy...efficiency...

At 210 lbs...and, a newbie with a fairly heavy SUP...we'd recommend the 9" QB or the Werner Advantage...unless you have a rotator cuff issue or shoulder impingement...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

werkSUPrider

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
I picked up my new paddle today, and plan to take out after work. I ended up getting the QB Kanaha (I hope I spelled it correctly). I liked both the QB and Kialoa, but found the QB more comfortable. I ended up dipping into the piggy bank and getting the one piece carbon paddle. The input was consistent that it really is worth it.

Thanks for everyone's input. I am thinking that for Christmas I'm going to ask Santa to bring me a wood paddle, they really look cool, and Dan at WhiskeyJack's was a great help. I liked the Ocho and plan to get one.

Thanks again for everyone's advice, as a newbie I really appreciate this site, I've learned a lot and am really stoked about riding SUP's.

Jeff

Scottiver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 01:18:04 AM »
You did good, that is a world class paddle.
What width blade did you get?

werkSUPrider

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 06:36:27 AM »
I ended up with the 8.7 - Right now I'm riding only flatwater and will be in the surf soon, so it was the recommended size for a 50/50.

I paddled out last night with my new Quick Blade paddle and was amazed at the difference in the paddling. Speed and control were awesome. I was stoked, I was working on my turning, board control, footwork and the paddle really made a huge difference. I'm a bit sore this morning as I was on the water for almost 2 hours and for a newbie like me that was a great workout.
My wife was checking out the paddles weight and I may be investing in another one soon lol.

Thanks again for all the great input, I'm really happy with the paddle and glad I spent the extra money.

Cheers,
Jeff

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard