Author Topic: Carrying drinking water...  (Read 7609 times)

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Carrying drinking water...
« on: July 29, 2007, 09:59:25 AM »
 Just wondering what everyone is doing for rehydration on the long runs. I have been using a 1/2 gallon sized water bottle, and freezing it half full with water. Then I fill it up the rest of the way, and bungee dtrap it to the fron otf the board. This has worked, but I am looking for other ways of securing it to the board. Let's see/hear some ideas please. I saw the post where a guy used the Surfco stick on leash plugs, but he said that one popped of, so I guess thats not the best idea. I realy don't want to drill, screw, or cut into my board at all.

photosettle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Carrying drinking water...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
How about a Camel Back or similar water backpack?

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 11:55:35 AM »
I have been wanting to use mine, I have one from OGIO I use for Moto-X. I will have to give it a go on the next run. I was just looking for someway to attach it to the board instead of me. Don't know how comfortable it would be while paddling. I'll try it, and give feedback on it. Yhanx. Anyone else got any ideas?

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 01:14:32 PM »
i carry a katadyn exstream xr. this water purifier is very handy when you are pulling through fresh water streams or lakes. just dip it in and squirt out the pure (well almost). i've used it in rice paddies with water buffalo running a muck and it hasn't let me down yet. would even comes in handy at those questionable water fountains, eh?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 01:17:13 PM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 01:41:19 PM »
I would not write off the Surfco stick on leash plugs.  I've been using these for their intended purpose on a pair of vintage longboards that get abused, and they've yet to show any signs of letting go.  It's important to follow the directions carefully, prep the surface, and degrease it really well.  Also, they need to be placed on a part of the board that is flat.  Overall, I think it's a good solution, and worth a try.  In the end, it won't leave any permanent mark or wound on your board should you later try to remove them.

Today I saw a guy paddling with a neoprene water bottle belt, the type that runners often wear.  He had a single tall bicycle style water bottle in it.  I've also seen a waist pack style Camelback that might be more comfortable on long paddles.

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 02:34:16 PM »
Excelent replies people. Thank you for your ideas. Like I said, I am going to try my OGIO backpack and see how that works out.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 02:08:07 PM »
at least w/ the jimmy 11, i think there's some diff b/ how its surface is finished and how a longboard is finished.  so far i have had 3 surfco plugs come loose and i have followed the instructions to a t -- least on two of the three ::).
  when i talked to jimmy about how to install drilled-in windsurf-type plugs, he reiterated 3 or 4 times that to get new glass to stick to the  board, you have to sand down the surface until you see the weave of the original glass start to show through.  i didn't think to ask about the surface plugs at the time, but i bet with these boards the same thing holds true.  the surfco plug instructions basically call for scuff sanding the surface; but to get down to the weave ala jimmy, you gotta really get out the 80 grit and go at it.  me, i'm not willing to do that all around.  there's gotta be a better way.

I would not write off the Surfco stick on leash plugs.  I've been using these for their intended purpose on a pair of vintage longboards that get abused, and they've yet to show any signs of letting go.  It's important to follow the directions carefully, prep the surface, and degrease it really well.  Also, they need to be placed on a part of the board that is flat.  Overall, I think it's a good solution, and worth a try.  In the end, it won't leave any permanent mark or wound on your board should you later try to remove them.

Today I saw a guy paddling with a neoprene water bottle belt, the type that runners often wear.  He had a single tall bicycle style water bottle in it.  I've also seen a waist pack style Camelback that might be more comfortable on long paddles.

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 02:52:59 PM »
if you want anything to stick to (almost) anything... i would highly suggest mixing up a batch of two part polyurethane foam. yecch!!!

a more manageable solution for the uninitiated would be this product:

guaranteed to make you stick to your guns.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 02:54:34 PM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal