Author Topic: Sea sickness  (Read 3690 times)

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Sea sickness
« on: July 06, 2010, 12:05:32 PM »
Does anybody have problems with getting seasick while paddling in rough water?  Last weekend my wife got sick when we were paddling through the washing machine outside of Hanauma Bay and she got quite seasick.

I remember a prior post by Bill having to do with polarized sunglasses causing problems.  She was wearing her Maui Jims on the run.  I'm wondering if the problem were the sunglasses or motion sickness...?

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sea sickness
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 12:36:33 PM »
The only time I have had any issues - like Bill - has been when wearing polarized sunglasses.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 02:09:20 PM »
Do you wear non-polarized glasses or (like me) do not wear glasses?

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 03:00:24 PM »
If there's any swell she could be having a bout of normal seasickess.  Try ginger tablets.  They've worked quite well for some of my diving buddies.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 03:54:35 PM »
As much as I like Maui Jims I've decided they are not for me when paddling. They mask the glare off the water, but in doing so they seem to feed to conflicting signals to your eyes. When I start to feel sick the water surface seems to be moving in many directions at once. I've switched to cheap, non-polarized glasses for paddling sand save My Maui Jims for everything else. Not a bad idea anyway considering how many pairs I've sacrificed to Neptune.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 01:52:54 PM »
When paddling in rough water I get sick almost instantly if I look at the water, especially if there is kelp.  I just keep my head up and look at the horizon, no sickness whatsoever.  When it gets rough she may be looking at the swells coming and trying to anticipate them.  Funny thing I found is this does not help at all, better just to look at the horizon and just absorb the bumps.

Cheers, Jill

faithd

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 04:09:16 AM »
Being seasick is so miserable.  I would recommend meclizine (over the counter - aka non-drowsy dramamine).  Only real side effect is dry mouth.

If that doesn't help, she should talk to her doctor about scopolamine which is available either in patches (not waterproof, may come off) or tablets.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal