Author Topic: Records crumble...  (Read 11051 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Records crumble...
« on: June 10, 2010, 08:57:01 AM »
This recent stretch of wind has brought some incredible conditions to the world famous Maliko run. The best of the best have been out there and many of the old Gulch to harbor mouth records have fallen.  We may never see a race that happens in these kind of epic conditions, so I'd like to record these feats that press the limits of what is possible here.

Dave Kalama turned in a mind bending 53:20 on his 17' Naish.  That's an average of just over 10 MPH for the whole 8.9 miles.

Kai Bartlett went an outrageous 50:20 OC1, an average of 10.7 MPH.

Jeremy Riggs cracked one hour...on a 12'6!  

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Records crumble...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 09:20:18 AM »
This has been such an amazing week of fun. The winds and swell have come together to provide the perfect conditions for surfing swells down the northshore. Everyone has had their best bests. Devin hit the harbor in under 1:06 (1:14 to the sand). Andrea is going to have some competition next month. I've hit some glides at over 15mph, feels like 50.  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:03:44 AM by Admin »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 10:19:17 AM »
The vibe was so good yesterday and the look on everyone faces told the story at the end.  Torch wind and high tide perfection tho I did get taken out a few times on inward glides by breaking white caps.  I'll be grinning when rudderworld and my 16 comes.  My 14 is nice but develops missile lock at high speeds and can't evade sidewinders.      My leash got stretched yesterday in high speed wipeouts.     Going out was easy, too easy.  Woulda been the perfect day fo Molokai. 

Don't ask when the 16s will get here.  I'm not even trying to think about it but obviously I am.

cammar

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 12:02:41 PM »

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 12:28:27 PM »
those times are FAST ! what probably impresses me the most is what Jeremy did on hiw 12'6. i didn't think he still rode that board since he was playing with 14' and 16'.
i'd love to see some videos of those runs.
what made Maliko so fast lately ? is it just super strong winds and no NW swell or other factors too ?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 12:50:27 PM »
Maliko gets fast in the summer.  I had forgotten how fast.  Very strong winds, blowing for days starts it off.  The big difference is the lack of ground swell.  In the wave months the ground swell crosses the course, then backwashes off the shore and crosses it again.  In the summer you get uninterupted downhill planes.  Big, wide, sloping, surfaces that surge up, drop away and link into one another for 9 miles.  It is really something to see when it gets wound up like its been.    

When Dave finished his record smashing run the other day, he wandered over to our truck shaking his head.  He was lit up.   "That was a perfect 10" then he repeated, "a perfect 10".

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 12:53:38 PM by Admin »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
those times are FAST ! what probably impresses me the most is what Jeremy did on his 12'6.

Me too.  To bust the hour on an SUP is amazing.  3 minutes behind Dave (Jeremy did a 56) on a 12-6 is something special. 

Why the 12-6?  He has trouble staying awake on a 16 footer!   ;D
Support your local shaper

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 09:14:25 PM »
What type of 12'6" was it... Was it like this one.. or another brand?

DJ

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 09:16:01 PM by DavidJohn »

Bolt Upright

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 10:26:06 PM »
What type of 12'6" was it... Was it like this one.. or another brand?

DJ
Maybe Jeremy will respond and even offer some pics, but I'll try give you some answers.

It's a Bill Foote custom shape that had lot's of input from Jeremy. it's 12'6" x 24" .
It's super light maybe a little under 20lbs and will accelerate unreal.

I've rode the board several times and it is not an easy board to use in Maliko kind of water.
I ride narrow boards and weigh about 10 lbs less than Jeremy, and I fall allot during a run.
I think it's fair to say it's an unforgiving board, one wrong move and your off the board.

So from my perspective the run Jeremy did in those conditions on that board is what is
truly amazing. If you have never rode that board in Maliko like water it's hard to
appreciate the skill required to post that kind of time in those conditions. It's a true
no compromise bare knuckle racing platform with no mercy whatsoever.

Jeremy will tell you it's pretty stable, and for him it is... But you'll won't find to many others
that have rode it say that it is stable... a couple of guy's can maybe do it, but they'll tell
you it's very challenging.

The more I watch him perform and do what he does and how he does it, the more I
just shake my head and say...."Friggin Jeremy".

Randy

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:37:06 PM »
Thanks.

DJ

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 11:35:07 PM »
thanks Randy. yes i had imagined that the lack of north swell makes Maliko a much "cleaner" run in the summer. plus consistent blasting winds create those good bumps and the whole ocean just goes in one direction...downwind.
reading the rest of the posts just makes Jeremy's time even crazier. ok, so he still rides that older 12'6 and he rides it to the limit. but to do a 56 minutes run is just out there...
would love to read some comments from him and Dave about their runs.

Lobes

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 12:18:23 AM »
Wow, am I right in saying that nobody had cracked 1 hour before this? 

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 08:32:33 AM »
Wow, am I right in saying that nobody had cracked 1 hour before this? 

Hi Lobes,

No, that is not quite right.  The old SUP record to the mouth was 56 minutes.  Dave bested that by 3 minutes.  Maybe a month ago, Jeremy did a 1:02 on his 14' and I believe that was his fastest time at that point.  Getting into the 59's on a 12' is unreal.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 08:44:43 AM »
Rumor has it that Kai Bartlett's first ever standup run was a 1:01.  It was last year, on an F-16. 

Support your local shaper

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 08:52:55 AM »
High tide has alot to do with it.  Any records will be set a high tide and it's been high in the afternoon.  Perfect.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal