Author Topic: Wide Load - 2010 SUP designs in General - Whats your take?  (Read 20425 times)

dannyg

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
As our sport progresses, boards seem to be undergoing big changes in design (this is a good thing!).  The first boards were basically long board designs stretched out to give more float for paddling.  Now we are seeing new designs that fit each new SUP discipline (Lake riding, racing, downwinders and surf).  Some of the newest boards from Starboard, South County and Naish seem to be hitting unreal widths like 34 & 36 inches yet still marketing performance aspects.  Whats your take from a riders perspective to this trend?  I don't have any experience on boards this wide but my impression is that over 32 might be too wide and basically a sidewalk for most disciplines.  

Are these being built in part as astute marketing gems so new riders feel like rockstars or are these designs really well thought out design evolutions in regards to performance in our sport for all of us?  I know big is cool when you pile on the kids, the dog and the bbq but what about glide, performance and the general "exotic" feeling a surfboard brings out (balance, conditioning, skill and performance).  Am I missing the design revolution or just seeing it for what it is?  Are sup riders "demanding" wider boards or is this what we are being fed?  Not trying to be old school or stuck in my ways, just want to know honest experiences.  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:11:50 PM by dannyg »

K-541`

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Big changes in 2010 SUP designs in General - Whats your take?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 07:06:26 PM »
Just my thoughts any thing over 30 is to wide if you want easy by a boat! Just think Starboard has one that is 36 put 100 of them side by side and fill a football field.

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Big changes in 2010 SUP designs in General - Whats your take?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 07:28:14 PM »
I don't see any of the high performance SUPer's using boards over 30 inches wide..Check out the world tour...Hmmm? Can you actually get speed, drive, power and thrust on a board that is 32-34 inches wide???  To me, short and too wide is too slow and no drive...(I love my PSH boards that are 9'3" and 9'6" and slightly less than 30 inches wide)...Maybe I'm missing something... but to me extra stability does not always tanslate to extra performance...I'm interested in other comments. So, are wide boards really designed for entry level ease or is there something else there that I'm missing???  Tim

Jared K.

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wide Load - 2010 SUP designs in General - Whats your take?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 07:51:56 PM »
I'm still on the original Bonga Perkins 10'x27" wide with step rails and I love it.  I really love how it feels just like a performance longboard on a wave.  I've been on some wider boards and it is easier to handle poor conditions, but I still prefer my old Bonga.  One thing I really like is that with a narrower tail, I can plant my back foot and not worry too much about moving around towards the rails to get them to bite.  Just my opinion but honestly I would love to try all the new shapes and see how they compare. 

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 08:17:24 PM »
PSH has three new extra wide rippers coming out.
9'11" x 31" ripper
10'6" x 32" gun/ripper
10'11" x 32" gun/ripper
Seems like you can have stability and performance.

dannyg

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 08:20:42 PM »
Definitely a lot coming out...lots of nice boards in smaller sizes with wide dims claiming surf capabilities hitting the market.   Any feedback from the riders on short and wide?

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 09:03:50 PM »
31+ wide boards have their place for sure.  The extra width not only gives you more stability, it allows you to physically work less.  Take an older surfer or a weekend warrior as an example.  They want to be able to turn and have a short board experience, but may not have the time or physical ability to ride a 28" wide board.  I call these wider boards Fun boards. They are stable like a long board, but still turn.  If you are a relatively young and fit surfer, or if you get a lot of water time, a narrow board will feel more natural.  If you just don't get the water time, or you are a few beers overweight, the short and wide boards are a nice option.  We just designed several new SUPs and we have models as short as 7-11.  We made all of our shorter models in two sizes, normal and XL.  The XL has a bit more volume and a wider center point, yet it is still short and maneuverable.  I can tell you that it is a lot of work to design a short and wide SUP that performs well.  It's not as easy as taking an SUP and adding 3" of width to it.  You have to completely redesign every aspect of the board.  The tricky thing for me is finding ways to hide the volume.  It's an ongoing challenge for me.  That said, I think there is a threshold between wide and silly wide.  Anything over 33" is getting a bit silly IMHO.  Wide for wide sake is more of a gimmick than a design characteristic. 

Evan

dannyg

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 09:26:45 PM »
Evan, good perspective for sure.  Your description of a rider sounds like a majority including myself even at 39.  The sport and its riders will ultimately create the demand for what works. A cool time for sure with all the new boards coming out and prices somewhat coming down. Now, if the sun would just come out in CA we would all be good!

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 11:01:59 PM »
I can tell you that it is a lot of work to design a short and wide SUP that performs well.  It's not as easy as taking an SUP and adding 3" of width to it.  You have to completely redesign every aspect of the board. 

I think you raise an important point. Gong has made an extra wide (more than 37") board for beginners http://www.gongsup.com/Everywhere-11.html?lang=en#english which got rave reviews from experienced riders alike, but it took him a long time to refine the shape. Also, take into account the quality of the waves: wide boards can definitely be heaps of fun in powerless summer waves.

I started on a (somewhat) wide board at 31", with a very wide tail and ditched it after 2 sessions because I found it too hard to turn. I retried it lately in 1ft waves (waiting for my nephew to teach him on it) and I had a blast!. I am not a stellar SUPer, but I progressed enough to be able to use the width to extract more power from the wave, and be able to handle it with a better control and paddle use. So with a bit of SUPing experience, I think wide board can be fun in slow waves. I would encourage you also to "revisit" the boards you started on, you will be surprised...

SoCo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
Please don't say South County came out with wide boards in 2010. Here are some pictures of my friend Wayne and I making 32 inch wide sups back in 2005 in his Costa Mesa boatyard.

We even glued 2 blanks together because we couldn't get them wide enough for our 36" way back when. We weren't taken very seriously by other shapers back then...maybe because most surfboard shapers didn't know much about SUPs.

We've always made wide boards because they were fun for us to ride. Starboard, Naish and others finally caught on a year or so ago that they could go beyond 30 inches with SUPs.

I know this is mostly a forum for the established brands but us little guys still do exist...though just barely these days.

Yoroshiku,
John
www.southcountysurf.com

dannyg

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 11:31:30 PM »
mostly a forum for the established brands

I think the forums are the word of small brands and based on how many times I have seen your name here hopefully things are good.   Two blanks wide?  Fused as a double Stringer in the old days?  Interesting history for sure. 37" inch wide on that other board post... Wow...thats a magic carpet ride!

SoCo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 11:35:18 PM »

South County Black Dragon 8' 6" x 33"

Driving down the line.

beaglebuddy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 12:50:36 AM »
Wider boards are necessary for taller and heavier people, we're not all 5'10" 165#

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 04:19:46 AM »
i like both wide boards have there place with me say up to head high but over that i want something a little longer and narrow, but being that most of the waves i ride around here are knee to chest high i ride the wider most board most.   quivers are starting to form. last yr i never thought id have 3 sups. i just wanted something to ride in knee high waves.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 07:04:43 PM »
I love my 9' x 33" Starboard Hero, but I have found it is alot slower down the line than my 9' 6" x  30" Coreban Performer.  The Hero feels every inch the 33" wide .  VERY stable and easy to paddle out through surf and catch waves, but I can't pump it as easily once on the wave face as I can the Coreban.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal