Author Topic: coil leash and surfing?  (Read 12803 times)

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
coil leash and surfing?
« on: May 27, 2010, 04:56:16 AM »
when i go backside sometimes the leash goes around my paddle would a coil leash prevent this are they ok to surf with or is the snap back to strong? ive seen people surfing with them but not to often.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: coil leash and surfing?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 12:34:01 PM »
I (don't) usually have very strong opinions about things. I HATE the coiled leash. It is the worst pain in the ass I have ever used.

At some point, I dropped it from standing position down on my deck / lanai and it disintegrated...it is the weirdest thing I have ever seen..I was glad.

Edit:I should probably say why....mine had a tendency to double and triple coil, and coild around my feet, and get stuck on it self, so suddenly when you want to move around, it would not allow you...really really annoying.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 12:38:15 PM by tautologies »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 03:15:32 PM »
I use a coiled leash when surfing and love it.. I was always standing on.. and tripping on.. and getting caught up on straight leashes and since changing to the coiled leash I don't even know it's there.

DJ

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 08:38:08 PM »
I have the Da Kine. Very nice for cruising and being able to surf the occasional wave you find out. But be prepared to have to untangle them often in you use them in waves... I would not recommend them for regular surf use. DJ model may not tangle up as much due to the shorter length of the coil.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 08:39:41 PM by colas »

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 07:01:48 AM »
i gave up on my all coil leash (XM) as it was a pain
but would like to get one with a short coil section like DJs but
havent seen them here in the UK

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 11:45:58 AM »
Most coiled leashes say "Not for surfing" on the package.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 04:56:57 PM »
Most coiled leashes say "Not for surfing" on the package.

LOL who reads the instructions anyways...I actually asked in the shop, and they said nothing....anywho forgotten now...I will just never use it again....

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
i know it says not for surfing, but i see people surfing with it a lot, why i asked.

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 06:25:31 PM »
Just received a yellow coiled leash like DJ's for my 10'6" Naish from Balin Surf Products in Australia today. Can not wait to try it out in the flat water of the Florida Keys. The package says it is good for 8-10 foot waves.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 08:23:35 PM »
I still use my original coiled leash that I bought from Wardog along with my Big Red. Back then that's what was recommended. I can say that I've never experienced any problem with it, that's why I'm still using it.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 04:56:50 PM »
Just received a yellow coiled leash like DJ's for my 10'6" Naish from Balin Surf Products in Australia today. Can not wait to try it out in the flat water of the Florida Keys. The package says it is good for 8-10 foot waves.

That's great.. Here's some more info about this half coiled and half straight leash.. http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53336&SearchTerms=new,balin,leggie

DJ

« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 04:59:20 PM by DavidJohn »

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 03:55:46 AM »
ya that one is cool less coil and more stright leash looks like it may work better, ill get one soon and try it, what have i got to lose.

venice mace

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 10:24:24 PM »
they suck for surfing.

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 06:34:21 AM »
I'm in the "tried them & hate 'em" crowd too but if I ever thought of trying again I'd go with one like DJ's above. If you attach above calf and the coils don't go below your ankle, and it'll still stretch long enough to trim from the front then maybe it's tolerable. As stated, coils don't do well when constantly stretched and they love to catch and hold the mung. If you're spending most time in the waves then a straight leash is, IMO, the way to go. If you're having trouble stepping on line try attaching above calf.

If you still can't stand leashes and don't surf in crowded areas maybe try going leashless. 

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 02:17:47 PM »
Tried my new Balin Half Coiled Leash in the flat water and it is great. Doesn't catch weeds.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal