Author Topic: Please help me understand board shape/size for surfing  (Read 4828 times)

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Please help me understand board shape/size for surfing
« on: May 19, 2010, 04:04:39 PM »
We are looking at some boards for beginning surfing.  Really very easy stuff, even just wind blown swells.  We are beginner surfers and really just want to get out in the ocean and play around.  May not stay just in the shore break, but paddle around looking for new breaks.  These will probably very sloppy and small waves. We just want to get out there and have fun, the least learning curve the best!

Looking around in other posts I saw some nice things about the Mana, and the Whopper (maybe the Hero or Element).  But our local store says PSH is the best and the Mana and Whopper are too wide.  (we have flatwater/racing boards so no need for that)

Help! Why do you want a narrow board for surfing?  What type of tail should I look for?

I am 5'6" 110lbs and my husband is 6' 165lbs. 

Cheers,
Jill

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Please help me understand board shape/size for surfing
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 04:24:02 PM »
If you are athletic and don't quit when facing a challenge, then you do not need wide boards. Without knowing you it can be hard to give advice. Some people want eveyrthing easy.

28 wide is enough at your weight and 29 wide for your husband. But then if you hate hard work, go 30 wide.

9'6 psh for the hubby and 9'3 for you would be fun.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:28:16 PM by DW »

bootesta

• Rincon Status
    • MSN Messenger - Dr.loritesta@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 04:36:49 PM »
I learned a year ago in Hawaii and got some pointers from a really nice couple on Maui.  I noticed the female was riding a 10 ft Jimmy Lewis "surf" (10ft x 28" wide).  She was about my size (5'3, 130 lbs).  I was hooked from day one (even on the rental board).   I decided to purchase when I returned to the mainland and took a chance with that Jimmy Lewis.  I got a good deal at paddlesurfwarehouse in Costa Mesa.  Absolutely the right choice for me.  It catches waves easily and manuevers pretty well in my opinion.  I really progressed in a short period of time.  I have tried other boards but none have compared to the versatility of this board.  Just my opinion of course and there are plenty of appropriate boards out there, just giving some input on how my experience ended up.  Good Luck with your search.

Lori
Starboard 7’4 Airborne carbon
Starboard 7’1 Pro carbon

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 04:46:37 PM »
I have a friend who bought a couple of PSH boards for himself and his partner because of advise from the shop and forums like this.. They are now up for sale.. He found them too unstable and he bought a 10' Mana and a 14' Laird and he's a happy chappy now.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with PSH or advise from shops or forums but demo'ing is the best way to know for sure what's best for you.. your weight and your ability.

I recommend going for these 'new school' type wider boards like the Mana's or Whopper's.. It's all about fun while you're learning..  :)

DJ

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 04:57:08 PM »
GOTTA SAY Davidjohn hit it perfect

I couldn't agree more

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 05:38:58 PM »
Hey

There is no perfect solution to your question. Everythig is give and take and there are advantages for and agaist wide, narrrow, short, long... everything is a trade off and you need to find your happy ground.

Part of what will help your buying decision is two critical questions. Do you have the financial means to flip boards (replace them quickly when you outgrow them) and are you looking for instant gratification or willing to work for it (be HONEST with yourself - too many people "say" they are willing to work for it when in fact they'd rather just have fun now).

If you can afford to flip boards, or want instant gratification, then go for very easy boards. Wider boards are more stable. You'll ahve an easier time getting out, and onto the waves. Your wave count will be far higher in the early stages and you'll have more fun. You'll be less frustrated, and generally have a good time. Wide also allows you to reduce some length (you can start on a 9'6" x 32" board over a 10'6"-11' x 28" board as an example). easier transport, storage and less pearling on take off, less swing weight and so on.

Eventually you WILL want to go narrower... much narrower.

If money is an issue, or you really like to make your life difficult (read: callenge yourself and you enjoy that  -I'm like that) then you can go much smaller to begin with. Something in the 9'6"-10' range, 28"-29" will be challenging but fun for you. You WILL figure it out, but you can also expect to be somewhat frustrated in the beginning, especially in anything but glassy conditions and breaks with a defined channel to get out.

Generally my advice is: when in doubt - go easier in your choice. Better to progress and outgrow your board than be frustrated and give up because of your board.

That's just my humble opinion.

Corran

rideOn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 06:09:24 PM »
"The best surfer out there is the one having the most fun"

Isn't that what it is all about?

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 09:39:48 PM »
Thanks everyone. I really want this to be fun. Also we do not mind flipping boards. There has to be some advantage to living among 10 million people in So. Cal!  We sold our first boards on craigslist in no time and the best part was how excited the girls where. They went straight to the water. Great to share the love

Going to demo a Mana tomorrow. Then on Friday a a couple of starboards. Would also like to take out the imagine eco chopper

Thanks for everything. 

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 09:54:32 PM »
You might want to check out South County boards.  It's a local company in O.C, and the owner will let you demo the boards in Newport Harbor.
I've got a 10', and love it in the surf. Very stable, so fun instantly without worrying about balancing act in the surf zone.

check this out:
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=4800.0
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 01:14:47 AM »
hey Jill

Don't have any of the 2010 choppers there presently... got a 10'6" Wave rocket you can try however...

Corran

beaglebuddy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 01:58:25 AM »
IMHO, the short wide boards are for pure surfing.
Jillride45 is looking for a board to paddle around a lot and maybe surf some smaller, sloppy  waves.
I think she needs a longer board maybe a 12' Laird.
Those wide short boards under 10' are egg shaped and won't paddle a strait line at all, they will surf like crazy but are the last board you would want to paddle any distance.
At 5'6" 110# you don't need a real wide board IMHO, the turtle and the whopper are for big guys like me #220+ lbs
My wife jumped right on her 10' X 28" as a beginner with no problem at all, I can barely paddle her board on flat water, nearly the whole board is underwater.
A narrow board can be faster down the wave and more maneuverable.
TBS, in choppy, sloppy and shore break conditions a wide board is very useful.

bootesta

• Rincon Status
    • MSN Messenger - Dr.loritesta@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 12:11:35 PM »
I think the boys need to remember that us girls are a lot smaller.  A 28 inch wide board is pretty wide when you weigh 110. It's all about proportions, i believe.
Starboard 7’4 Airborne carbon
Starboard 7’1 Pro carbon

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 04:30:01 PM »
IMHO, the short wide boards are for pure surfing.
Jillride45 is looking for a board to paddle around a lot and maybe surf some smaller, sloppy  waves.
I think she needs a longer board maybe a 12' Laird.
Those wide short boards under 10' are egg shaped and won't paddle a strait line at all, they will surf like crazy but are the last board you would want to paddle any distance.
At 5'6" 110# you don't need a real wide board IMHO, the turtle and the whopper are for big guys like me #220+ lbs
My wife jumped right on her 10' X 28" as a beginner with no problem at all, I can barely paddle her board on flat water, nearly the whole board is underwater.
A narrow board can be faster down the wave and more maneuverable.
TBS, in choppy, sloppy and shore break conditions a wide board is very useful.

Agreed: If you're going to be hopping up and down the coast, paddling and having general fun, and surfing the odd wave, then longer narrower boards are better. Since you're not going in and out through the surf zone,  surfing smaller rolling waves, etc, then you can go for something in the 28" or 29" range, and a little longer.

My response was assuming you'd be hanging out at something like the Dog Patch and going in and out specifically for surfing - then wide and short is more fun and more rewarding.

Well pointed out there Beagle ;-)

I actually just shapped up a board I'm calling the Offshore that is 12'6" and 27" - the idea being open ocean swell riding but ALSO coast bay hopping on something super fast, that I can still surf really well on  --it has a great center-tail surf shape so it'll rip on waves even for 12'6", but its length and V nose will allow me to cover great distances too... I can't wait to get it out.

Here is a pic of the unlaminated blank

Corran

And some of the new Sprinter 14 since you'd been asking about this before - I'm so stoked on this board as you can tell.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 04:53:28 PM by corran »

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 07:10:09 PM »
Got to demo the Naish Mana 10 today.  Fantastic board, both my husband and I loved it.  Even at 32" wide I had no problem paddling it.  The board glides very nice for a 10' surf and tracks amazing.  Even will all this it turns on a time.  You can basically just stand there and do 360s on it. 

We actually got lucky and while we were there another big name company showed up on the beach to demo boards.  We took out their "recommended" 29" wide surf SUP, the Mana blew it away.  Also very unexpected is my husband (165lb) and I both loved the board.  We both found it easy to paddle, fun to play on, and it behaved well under either of our feet.

We have a couple more boards to demo (the hero and whopper), and are also wondering about the 9'6" Mana (no one had one to demo).  We really enjoyed the stability of the 10 and will probably just stick with it to learn on.  Or maybe get one 10 and one 9'6"?? Things get expensive when you both play, but it is a lot more fun! 

Also on the 10 we have to consider the Wood Sandwich or the AST?  Any recommendations?  Thanks, Jill

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 09:02:18 PM »
Jill,
I'd be interested in demo'ing a Mana. Who/Where did you arrange this? 
Glad you're demo'ing boards. Nothing beats getting on one for 1st hand experience.

Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal