Author Topic: Mickey Munoz Glide Models  (Read 14599 times)

Blane Chambers

Mickey Munoz Glide Models
« on: January 17, 2008, 10:37:55 PM »
I was going through some old archive pics and remember how many good times I had on the Mickey Munoz 10-6, 11' and the 12 footer...    Sure it wasn't intended for SUP surfing but it got a lot of us started....    Mickey is a neat guy and here's a big thanks to him for designing those boards that brought many smiles to my face and to many others too...

10'-6" Glide Model...

11' Ultra Glide Model

12' Super Glide Model

ASR in San Diego last Sept.   You da man Mickey!

Aloha,
Blane

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
Re: Mickey Munoz Glide Models
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 04:32:19 AM »
Blane,
   How long ago did you start the Stand up Surfing ?   Were these experiences on the Munoz boards the beginnings that ignited the fire to start making your stand-ups?.  Damn glad you did. I always look forward to you responses on the ''Zone''
  Was great meeting you at the Expo. Thanks for all your insite and the shirt.  Hooked up w/ Dave Chun and ordered a Paddle.  Looking forward to trying out his paddles.   
 Mahalo   Glen
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

kito

• On the coast again
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 05:03:21 AM »
Blane I was checking out some old pics as well and the paddle looked really short.
I think you were on a green fish.
Did you start, back in the day paddling on your knees?
How long ago was that?
Man SUP has come a long way.
Heard your boards looked insane at the show. Can't wait to get mine!!!
Aloha,
Kito

Landlocked four years😬

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 05:38:55 AM »
Great pics Blane! I have a 12' Super Glide, but have never found the right fin setup for it. What do you recommend? Is there a single fin setup you like? I have always been a single fin guy.
Thanks,
Pd.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 07:21:01 AM »
How long ago did you start the Stand up Surfing ?
First time was around the end of 2004 on this board...   I looked EVERYWHERE and could not find a big board so I ended up getting this one under all those fins....   It was the 12' wood veneer one...  Since this one I bought 3 more!

Were these experiences on the Munoz boards the beginnings that ignited the fire to start making your stand-ups?.
Yes!   

Did you start, back in the day paddling on your knees?
I started and always have been doing stand up but also paddled in on my knees with the short paddle.   With the short paddle, you can do both, stand or kneel.     Knee paddling with a short paddle IS BY FAR the fastest, most powerful form of paddling.    You can out paddle any person standing so it was a great way to surf which I've been going back too a lot lately.    I see knee paddling as being the way to surf giant waves even in the wind.

49" big blade paddle is my favorite.      The benefits are a better ab workout, much better paddle speed and power, staying low through the lineups, can ride much smaller boards, etc, etc, etc...   I can't see very many people getting into this.    None of the "Glory" of standing although I stand up paddle A LOT with the short paddle.    People with bad knees or ankles can't do it...  If I want to paddle around standing straight up and there is no waves, the long paddle is best and that's where most people will be...    Still, if I had to choose, it would be a 49" big bladed paddle to do it all...

I have a 12' Super Glide, but have never found the right fin setup for it. What do you recommend?
I liked the 7.5 Cut Away and FCS H2 mediums.    You can lay that combo over or cruise...   

Anyway, the north shore is absolute perfection right now so I'll be back later!

Aloha,
Blane

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 08:25:45 AM »
HA HA ....wow ...i remember those...thats OLD SCHOOL...back in the CARVE NALU days....cool...show um the rest... ;D

i wanna see the "secret spot" shots again...

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 01:19:21 PM »
Very cool photos. 

Blane Chambers

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 08:55:13 AM »
HA HA ....wow ...i remember those...thats OLD SCHOOL...back in the CARVE NALU days....cool...show um the rest... ;D

i wanna see the "secret spot" shots again...

Howzit steamroller.    I met the ULI guys in florida and we were talking about you...   I saw the new 10' ULI too...    At your request.........

Secret spots...
Last time I surfed here was in Dec with Tom Carroll and Bruce Raymond.   We had a blast!

This spot only handles waves up to 10' faces then it closes out.   If this place is firing everywhere is firing.    Very rare to see ANYONE out here...

This place is unreal AND its still very unknown.    Far paddle and kinda skecthy animals swimming around...    It goes off and you can get easy 300 yd long rides....  I have yet to surf it with anyone but ourselves...  This wave has a 12' face and this shot was taken from pretty far away...  At this size you can go right or left.   Its our best secret spot and it can handle giant waves too! 

I surf this place alone when the winds are right.    Super fun lefts that goes into a big channel...   

This place fires...  Heavy locals but I know them all so I surf it a lot when it goes....   

Not so secret but a nice wave!   Chuns Reef little peeler....   Shot by Jamie Ballenger

Aloha,
Blane

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com

mokulele

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 09:34:23 AM »
Blane,
   You're right about knee paddling with a short paddle.  Great workout!  I decided to try it after talking to you a couple of weeks ago.  I used a 52 inch outrigger canoe paddle so I could also stand up if needed.  Since the paddle is so short, it's more of a crouching position when standing which really givs the leg muscles a workout.  Knee paddling also makes it easier going into the wind because of the lower profile.
Dal

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 01:34:35 PM »
Blane.....great stuff...great pics.

HHmmm....makes me think. Maybe I can resurrect the paddle I just broke.
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=737.0

On days that my head and the chop conspire I have a hard time standing up and spend a lot of it paddling from my knees. It would be good for me to have a short one for those days at least.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 09:48:54 PM »
YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA!!!....thanks....I needed that... ;D

tonemike

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 12:09:36 AM »
thanks blane for posting those pix!! 
the pacific i'm looking at is grey and COLD.  that deep blue-green of "the 12' face" would make a nice large poster.  nice to be able to live vicariously through others periodically.
-mike   

kito

• On the coast again
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 07:08:24 PM »
 Even though I only do it when the wind is howling, I always felt like I was cheating when Paddling on my knees.  I would rather be SUP Surfing than any other so I Knee paddle when I have to.  Usually back upwind after I drift / surf downwind for a while.
Thanks for validating BLane.
Aloha,
Kito
Landlocked four years😬

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 11:51:33 AM »
imho, paddling on the knees is really roots. About more than ten years ago, while a surf festival in Biarritz, i don't remember who he was, i have seen a hawaiian senior paddling in the traditional way on a longboard. This was the beginning of my quest. The thing is that it's difficult to punch white water on the knees. I'm stoked to see Blane knee paddling on such big waves.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 11:48:41 PM »
Yeah, much easier to punch whitewater on your feet, but less likely to punch yourself in the face with your board like I did two days ago. I'd kind of forgotten that iron taste of blood in your mouth, reminded me of my old short temper days.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal