Author Topic: 1st SUP race today  (Read 2331 times)

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
1st SUP race today
« on: August 20, 2011, 03:52:19 PM »
I was thrilled to see a SUP/Paddle race come to the Washington D.C. area and I jumped in even though I do not exactly have a racing board.  I actually have a barge-ish board, an NSP 11'0', but hey, they had separate classes for under 12' and I figured I might not come in last.  I love my NSP since it's a jack of all trades and I really can't find $7000 in my couch to have a "quiver" of boards like many others have.  The race was one of three in the Paddle For Humanity series sponsored by SurfAid, the charity that gives back to impoverished areas of the world that we are connected to through surfing.

http://doit4humanity.org/paddle/washington-dc/

So, having a board that is not exactly known for speed, I did a little over 5 miles in 1 hour 18 minutes.  Basically I averaged 4mph on the nose.  I think that's about as fast as I can take my NSP, but hey, I didn't finish last  ;)  Actually I finished in the middle of the pack for my class, which I was pretty happy about.  Now I'm really excited to do some other races but unless I organize one myself I may have to travel to do that.  Either way, it was a really great time, and there was tons of aloha spirit out on the Potomac river today!
My journey to financial independence
https://accidentalfire.com
Just.  Get.  Out.

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: 1st SUP race today
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 12:29:20 AM »
That's a pretty good showing for that board. Last time I measured it I could get my 11'6" NSP up to a max of 4.5 mph (and then blow a gasket). This is casual cruising speed on my race board

Try and talk your local board stores into helping organize some races. It will help hem sell boards

HawaiiRN808

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 12:47:31 AM »
Congrats on your first race!  My cousin did that race, too.  Thats a pretty decent time for your board.

RyanSurfNTurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 07:50:25 PM »
Nice paddle!

Looks like some fun scenery, too.

kneil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 07:53:59 PM »
That was a great race Esskay, I was on the yellow Bark trying to chase down the four black M&M boards, they are super fast.  More races coming up in the area, including Annapolis, Ocean City and Bill Gassett's Hei Hei in Virginia Beach Oct. 8.  All of them are a blast, hope you can make some, race details at my friend Ben's website www.supannapolis.blogspot.com

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 04:33:47 AM »
Thanks for the info kneil, I hope I can make one of those!
My journey to financial independence
https://accidentalfire.com
Just.  Get.  Out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal