Author Topic: Down wind racing fins  (Read 5329 times)

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Down wind racing fins
« on: May 10, 2010, 12:49:42 PM »
I was just reading about fin design and it got me to thinking about what kind of fins are out there for my 14 foot Naish. The fin it came with looks like a windsurfing type design. However this board is going out in open ocean and riding swells ??? I saw some article from 2009 on new designs for down wind racing fixed fin design. They were showing some of the latest designed fins by a man named Curtis Hesselgrave. What kind of fins do you guys use ?  Maybe you can post links and pictures of what is working for you and where to buy ?  Here are a few pictures of Curtis Hesselgrave's fins for downwind boards . I'm sure these are out dated by now but would love to buy a NEW racing fin that will work better out there.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Down wind racing fins
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:55:08 PM »
Are you saying you don't trust windsurfers? I think they know speed.  ;)

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:56:30 PM »
You can also check out Larry Allison's designs at Fibre Glas Fin Company.  He made me a couple of downwind fins, and he's got some really interesting designs.

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:04:47 PM »

I'm not saying that at all . I'm just saying there are some pretty basic fundamental differences between a down wind PADDLE board and a board driven by wind. One is the speed at which they travel. and the other is the motor by which the board moves.

I have seen a number of Naish 14 foot glides with aftermarket fins on them and when I asked someone why they changed they said the stock fin does not steer as well as the aftermarket fin that they have on now. They said they get much  better control riding the swells out in the ocean.

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 01:06:48 PM »
You can also check out Larry Allison's designs at Fibre Glas Fin Company.  He made me a couple of downwind fins, and he's got some really interesting designs.

Thanks for the Info I will check them out.

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 01:13:40 PM »

Hey 1P2P

What kind of board did you put the fins on ?? what kind of changes did you notice when you began to use them?  And does this company have a web site?

Thanks for you input.

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 01:15:44 PM »
At lot of the guys here in S. California swap out for the weed fins due to the kelp.  The dagger style fin that came with my Naish acts like a break when you hit a nice thick kelp patch!  

I was looking at the Future Weed Fin, but was having trouble parting with $95.  Other weed fins of the same size, but slightly different design, more curve, sell in the $50-60 range.  Is the fin worth $95?

NickFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 01:17:52 PM »
I just ordered the exact fin from your first image.  I bought it mainly for flat water and some light swell riding.  They are very fast because of the short profile.  They were very popular at last years BOP.  Not sure how well it would work in big swell but I'm not using it for that.  They have a G10 version that is stiffer and more durable.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 01:19:26 PM by NickFL »

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 01:18:46 PM »
At lot of the guys here in S. California swap out for the weed fins due to the kelp.  The dagger style fin that came with my Naish acts like a break when you hit a nice thick kelp patch!  

I was looking at the Future Weed Fin, but was having trouble parting with $95.  Other weed fins of the same size, but slightly different design, more curve, where only in the $50-60 range.  Is the fin worth $95?

Thanks for the info bro. However we don't have a kelp problem here in Hawaii. We do seem to have a problem with a lot of wind and plenty of ocean swells though :)

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 01:34:04 PM »
I just ordered the exact fin from your first image.  I bought it mainly for flat water and some light swell riding.  They are very fast because of the short profile.  They were very popular at last years BOP.  Not sure how well it would work in big swell but I'm not using it for that.  They have a G10 version that is stiffer and more durable.

Hey Nick

How did you order the Fin. Is there a website where I can see the different models ??
How do you like the new fin ?

Aloha

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 01:52:45 PM »

They might know speed but you do need stability thats where length is needed. So I don't see these being a big factor to Downwind specific especially our conditions we paddle in. What 2 percent flat water ???

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 02:02:46 PM »
It was for a C4 Vortice.  I got one of the standard "Spitfire" fins (which he makes for C4) and one of Larry's own designs which looks similar to some of the swept back fins in your pictures above.  I found the swept back design is at least as stable as the Spitfire and it is like 5-6" shorter, so should be less drag.

Try this:  http://proboxfinsystems.com/

Or you can contact him on Facebook "Larry Allison" - he has a lot of pictures of fins on his page.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 02:31:46 PM »

I have seen a number of Naish 14 foot glides with aftermarket fins on them and when I asked someone why they changed they said the stock fin does not steer as well as the aftermarket fin that they have on now. They said they get much  better control riding the swells out in the ocean.

Here's the deal. A pointer fin (stock glide fin) is technically less draggy than a swept fin. But, a fin of same area with swept tip, will carry more speed and momentum through a turn. So the swept tip feels nice, if you can live with knowing it's technically slower. You may not be able to feel the speed difference since we go so slow anyway. So it could just be a mind game.

I use custom CNC'd race fins from Ultra Maui Fins.

Rockbottom

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 03:06:21 PM »
I've been doing some experimenting, some for skinny water sightfishing, some for speed, and another just for fun; I'll let you make the call.  The one on the top left seems to be pretty fast, but doesn't track the best.  The one on the top right has seems to track the best with the least drag.  lower left is really stable, lower right is for shallow areas and seems to track pretty well too.
    fins are incredibly easy to make.  as i'm experimenting with  shapes, I'm not taking too much time with appearances, just function.  They only cost about $5.00 to make.  mabey $10 if I fuss with details of appearance.

skyfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 08:37:34 AM »
My 2 cents... I've been using a Rainbow 12" "Seeker" for downwinders in my Holo Holo and it takes away all the previous yawing I get w/ it's original fin. It tracks straight upwind or down. doesn't feel like i lost any speed either. On flat water side winders it allows to stay longer on the straight side against having to be alternating sides more often for corrections.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal