Author Topic: Coil Leash  (Read 22905 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Coil Leash
« on: July 25, 2007, 09:44:22 AM »
Got myself a coil leash 2 weeks ago. Switched back to a straight leash the other day. Wow, really felt the difference. They both have pros and cons.

The coil leash auto recoils the board to me after a wipeout. I know that sounds corny, but it really does creap back to me. Most of the time after a wipeout, the board is within 2-3 feet of me. After a wipeout with the straight leash, the board is a full 12 feet away. It makes climbing aboard before the next wave gets me quick. The coil leash does stay on the deck and out of the water most of the time, improving my glide.

The cons of the coil leash are tangles. It knots about every 6 sessions, so I have to take a moment on the water to remove the knot.

Twice the coil leash got stuck on the fin. You feel that immediately, and pull it off.

In the end, I decided to keep using the coil leash. I like the improved glide and auto recoil of the board.

I hope this helps someone. I felt like chatting  ;D

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Coil Leash
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 09:57:39 AM »
Hi dee dub,

I want one.  Who makes them?  Does it eliminate paddle tangle?  How long extended?

Thanks,
Rand

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 12:50:01 PM »
Are you using the coil leash surfing, touring our both?  Is there a tendency to step on it while surfing?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 04:44:16 PM »
Are you using the coil leash surfing, touring our both?  Is there a tendency to step on it while surfing?

I use it for surfing only. I don't really tour, unless you count getting blown down wind like a rocket on high wind days.  ;D

I really like surfing in high winds. Until I tired it, I had no idea it actually increased my stability. Built-in board speed is cool :o

I have never stepped on it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 05:03:53 PM by DW »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 05:02:36 PM »
Hi dee dub,

I want one.  Who makes them?  Does it eliminate paddle tangle?  How long extended?

Thanks,
Rand

http://www.surfmorexm.com/

They are not shown on the web site, but he makes them. I don't know the actual extended length. I ordered a 12' leash.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 05:18:30 PM »
I emailed XM for more info.  Did you order direct?

Thanks!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 07:07:07 PM »
I emailed XM for more info.  Did you order direct?

Thanks!

I asked the local SUP dealer to order them for me.

www.gokitesurf.com has them in stock

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 05:01:54 PM »
Update on my experience with the coil leash.

I have come to the conclusion a coil leash is nice to have for cruising, but a straight leash remains the better choice for pure surfing.

Today I had several perfect waves ruined by the coil leash. What happens on bigger waves with the coil dragging behind the board (because you are surfing on the tail) is the high speed must make coil bounce around and knot. Every big wave I caught made the leash knot up hard. I felt the drag of the knotted leash pulling on my leg as I was ripping down the face.

Knash

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 09:01:58 PM »
Checkout Legends Surf in Carlsbad! They have some coiled leashes and also some C-4s from boardworks in stock.
www.legendssurf.com

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 01:38:51 AM »
Update on my experience with the coil leash.

Today I had several perfect waves ruined by the coil leash. What happens on bigger waves with the coil dragging behind the board (because you are surfing on the tail) is the high speed must make coil bounce around and knot. Every big wave I caught made the leash knot up hard. I felt the drag of the knotted leash pulling on my leg as I was ripping down the face.

I had the same experience tonight as well.  This is the second time I have tried the coil lease and the drag is huge.  It also got into a knot and I had to pull it apart. 

I think we are complicating this.  Going back the the old standard, its an improvement...

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 03:42:28 AM »
That's unfortunate.  I was hoping you guys had found the magic bullet. 

I am getting snagged in the same situation.  Frontside topturn, sweep on the wave side, starting the stroke towards the tail and pulling around behind to the opposite side of the board (either into a hard cutback or layback) so that the paddle ends up behind me with body weight on it.  When completed and turning back to frontside, I'm often snagged.  I am getting good at untangling pretty seamlessly, however  :)

I pulled the 6' leash off of my 6'3 and that fixes the problem (and actually feels so nice and light) but no noseriding, and no calf option.

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 06:57:30 AM »
I'm not using the coil leash anymore. I was at Blacks scored a little wave, ate it on the inside- board got away from me and swang around whacking me on the back of the head- the villain was the knotted up, now two foot long (with knot) coil leash! In a heavier situation that could have been really bad; like face down unconscious in the water type of bad! So even though the thing is great at the Cliffs (keeps the kelp out of the leash) I'm done with mine for now. Anyone want to buy it for 20 bucks?

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 02:50:24 PM »
i was wondering how a reel type leash would work on a sup... i've never used one but they seem to be something a kiter would be more familiar with. anyone here have any experience with this type of mechanism?

whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 05:43:02 PM »
You don't want the board recoiling toward you that fast. Even the XM coil leash does it a little and can bang you in the head, even when staying down a long time. Actually staying down makes you more likely to get bonked with a coil.

XM is making me a custom leash right now. I had them coil 4 feet of leash behind my ankle, leaving 8 feet straight. The finished coil behind the ankle is about 18" long. My theory is the short coil behind my ankle helps prevent me from stepping on the leash. A plus of all coil leashes. While still being short enough in the coil to prevent it from dragging in the water. A coil dragging in the water is bad. I hope only 8 feet of straight leash drags in the water. I should have the leash in a few days.

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 08:08:43 PM »
thanks dw... i was afraid of that. i wasn't aware just how much these were preloaded at the springs.

now that my curiosity is piqued. i'm wondering if there were a way to wind one of these models down a bit so that it takes up only part of the slack, some way of setting the pre-tension so that it doesn't recoil so quickly. one can even insert some sort of expansion trap to keep the line extended once the leash extends to a certain point. given the low profile exit/entry point, what i envision is a polyethelene tab that would need manual assistance to insert (folded and pushed forward) but prevents reentry when the webbing is pulled from within. a little origami magic perhaps?
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal