Author Topic: Numb feet  (Read 21193 times)

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
Re: Numb feet
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 10:00:53 PM »
how about researching techniques on stretching your feet, low legs, etc. it's all connected.  check with nikki gregg for ideas.  nikkigregg.com
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

captjoetug

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 08:56:23 AM »
Insert Quote
I generally feel my balance and ability is good.  I have surfed my entire life and am 44 years old got into SUP end of last summer and live in Virginia beach.  Had a friend (Tim Nolte) build my board and was up and riding, got to go out in some waist high waves before the water got too cold for me and had no problem.  Been doing flatwater lately to get in shape for the season but have been itching to go out and catch some waves.  Loaded up the board and drove it down to the beach and despite the 10-15 mph NE wind and waves breaking on the shore with wind chop got into the water and resolved to give it a shot.  The cross chop was crazy and trying to line up and get positioned for what waves we had was frustrating.  Last year the days I went to the ocean happened to be glassy and the sets rolling in were easy to get lined up on, picking the best waves from outside to catch, lots of fun.  If the conditions are wind choppy is it just not do-able?  Also if I am flatwater conditioning my feet cramp and go numb after about 30minutes I go down to kneeling for 5min or so till they get right then get back up.  Does anyone else have that problem?  I have had the same thing snowboarding and before that skiing.  I think it's my Fred Flintstone feet.

enden

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 10:18:31 AM »
After 15 minutes my feet is sore and numb. After resting for a few minutes, I'm good to go again for 30 mintues before it starts to get numb and sore again. I bought and tried the Vibram Five Finger shoes and it didn't help. I tried moving my feet around while paddling and that didn't help. I have flat feet so maybe that's the problem.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 03:46:29 PM »
I think we should separate out the cold water itself being the issue or SUP being the issue.

Since I am in Hawaii, I will comment on the "warm water" numbness.  I definitely experienced numb feet for a while after starting SUP.  I no longer get that sensation.  I think as your body learns to cope with the stresses of doing SUP (especially on the feet), the issue will subside.  But even today after a long run my feet will definitely be sensitive.

chipmonk

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 12:17:49 PM »
I think that you will adjust, but I think that it is also true that the Surftech diamond grip pad is not the softest pad available either. It would be a real pain to swap the pad, but you could always put some different pad in the flatwater stance area and see if it helps you!

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 01:50:28 PM »
I was on the water for several hours yesterday and found that by lying on my back on the board, and raising my legs with my feet pointed up, the numbness would go away. I also tapped my feet on the board while on my back and found that helped too. If the water is too rough to do this, then moving around the board as others have suggested will probably work as well.

I'm starting to wonder if prolonged periods of paddling is actually bad for your feet? I might experiment with sandals or aqua booties with arch supports.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
Sound like it might be blood flow. Do you have any varicose veins? The veins in your legs have valves in them that helps the blood get pumped back to your heat. If the veins are enlarged the valves don't close and you get blood pooling in your feet. Certainly could be a lot of other things, but you might give compression tights a try.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 08:45:42 PM »
I'm 61 190lbs, been SUP 1 yr.  I usually paddle 1hr.  I find that sometimes, I just get on my knees for a short break.  When I finish my feet are much better.  Plus, I don't so bad during the last few minutes.

NathV4

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 12:49:56 PM »
I don't paddle with a pad on my board, but when I use my mates board I found I was getting numb after about an hour of paddling. I found that I was using my toes for stability, digging them in to the traction pad. When I lifted my toes in to the air the numbness would subside after a few minutes and then I would try to not use my toes unless I really had to when I got off balance from a wake etc. Sometimes this also applies to riding my board which does not have a traction pad, but very rarely.

"Dad, you were like a father to me".

aconstruction

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 08:34:03 PM »
Booties with Dr. Scholls arch supports worked for me but the problem  seems to be going away as my feet get stronger.

Distressed Mullet

• Rincon Status
  • For the people who paddle
    • View Profile
    • Distressed Mullet
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 06:54:40 AM »
I've noticed that while getting used to a new board, some people grip their toes like an orangutan.  This will cause cramping and numbness.  Try to consciously relax your feet.
We call that monkey toes. It goes with monkey paw when you grab your paddle too hard. I get people to wiggle their toes periodically and lift their heels then toes—if they aren't good at walking a board.
Nothing heals like water time

Randall

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 09:48:48 PM »
Basically, numb feet refer to the forefoot, aka the "ball of the foot" and the toes. The structural design of the foot is the arch concept which includes two foundations, the forefoot and the heel.
If you overload the forefoot repetitively in an athletic activity it will go numb. The simple solution is to balance more weight on the heel. Sink your weight down onto your whole foot by bending more at the core, knees and ankles. Particularly focus more weight to the side your paddling on making the other foot light on the board. This gives the light foot a rest and improves paddling power.

Hint: If you have tight calf muscles and achilles tendons bending at the ankles will be difficult and leverage more pressure on the forefoot. Stretching and repeated use will limber this up. It also helps to wear footwear with a slightly elevated heel like Crocks or deck shoes.
Randall Barna
Certified Pedorthist
www.footform.com

JeffBach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 08:48:23 AM »
My feet feel tired more than they do numb.  I think the causes are the same thing though.  When my dogs are starting to bark, all I do is kneel down and paddle for a few minutes or even sit down and paddle for a few minutes.  Hop back up good to go.  Repeat as needed. 

Maybe someday when I am less of svelte porker than I am now, I won't have so much of a problem.  For me, 240+ pounds exerts alot of psi on the relatively small surface area my feet have to offer for support and balance

fms

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 10:15:33 AM »
Hey , my feet used to kill me after a couple of hours doing long distance paddles . It started with pain ,tingling and then numbness. Here are a few things that helped me alot ! Some simple exercises that i do to strengthen, increase flexability and range of motion.{PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN,SPORTS THERAPIST ,OR PODIATRIST BEFORE ATTEMPTING !} Remove shoes , relax your feet muscles by shaking them out until they feel loose. Sit on floor with legs straight out in front of you and point feet towards sky ,point feet forward ,pull feet back, side to side , small circles and large circles, message and then repeat. Try sky writing with your feet. Try standing and support yourself against a wall and picking up small objects with your toes ex[pens,marbles,rocks].Heel raises. Also try placing a tennis ball under your arch and roll it back and forth with your foot. I also got a pair of New Balance 920 aqua sneakers and they work really well ,they add a good amount of arch support ,great drainage and they dont destroy your  board pads. These exercises may seem somewhat puerile ,but they worked for me . later

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2010, 11:43:43 AM »
I have felt the same things in my own feet. More so when I first started paddling this spring. The more I went out though, learned to move my feet & relax them, the less I felt it. Recently the water temps have started to dip into the high 50s & I am feeling it again. So I suspect that I'll need to start wearing some boots/shoes of some kind soon. I picked up a pair of cheapie neoprene jetski boots, and got what I paid for. They keep my feet warm, but have no support at all.
Yesterday I saw some Columbia Outpost "amphibious" hybrid shoes on Steepandcheap.com for $35. Looks like a lot of guys into kayaking, sailing & other outdoor sports involving the water like these shoes. And their normally about twice the price. So we'll see in a few days how they work out.
--
Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal