Author Topic: Vibram Five Fingers shoes  (Read 25453 times)

corgi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Vibram Five Fingers shoes
« on: April 18, 2010, 11:27:22 PM »
I want to get some opinions on the Vibram Five Fingers shoes. I'm tired of my feet getting cut on the reef. I went down to a shop today that sells them(they didn't have my size) and they had 3 different models, the Classic, Sprint and KSO.  What do you guys think is the best for SUP?

surftida

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Vibram Five Fingers shoes
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 12:58:59 AM »
I tried 'em on but couldn't easily get 'em around my contorted toes.  Got the SuperFreak - it's like a rubber slipper with one box for the big toes with all the others going into the other side.  More easy to put on and very comfortable - I use 'em when I flat-water paddle up Wailua River.  Good for walking on rocks too.

WindJunkie

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 01:13:52 AM »
I've got the KSO's and have been using them for a couple of years.  Probably the best there is available.  My only gripe is that sand gets trapped in them and it's a pain to get it out thoroughly.  Other than that, they feel fairly natural, have good grip, and are comfortable.  They're getting pretty messed up now but I'm impressed by how long they've lasted. 

The guy at bluegrass recommended getting them bigger but I should have gotten them just right, toes to the ends of the toe pockets.  Sometimes my little toe slips out.  Surftida, the first time getting them on is tricky but after a couple of times it becomes easier. 

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 01:19:18 AM »
they dont fit all feet for sure - if they do tho they are great

if you are anywhere sandy then get the KSO - they stop
sand getting in - its a problem as the shoes are very close fitting
compared to bootees and it can be abrasive and uncomfortable

the clasic has no cross band and can come off more easily

the sprint is a good choice or the flow if its cold

exel reef boots are a great alternative

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 01:22:45 AM »

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:28:29 AM »
Just don't get the sprint. When it gets wet you feet wants to come out of it because it doesn't have a top strap to secure it. The KSO and the Flow is the two I recommend. They are like high performance tires for the feet and a must have tool for Standup. Just don't get them to tight for your first purchase because on a Hawaii Kai run your feet goes numb.

randal.brown

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 11:28:01 AM »
I've used these for kiting since they came out and highly recommend them!  They feel so much more natural than booties, and provide alot more control.

But as stated above don't get the classics.  They'll come off in the whitewater or if you get dragged.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 12:08:58 PM »
Just don't get the sprint. When it gets wet you feet wants to come out of it because it doesn't have a top strap to secure it. The KSO and the Flow is the two I recommend. They are like high performance tires for the feet and a must have tool for Standup. Just don't get them to tight for your first purchase because on a Hawaii Kai run your feet goes numb.

Oops sorry yeah I meant the classics.

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 12:35:45 PM »
I got the KSOs and love them.  I haven't had too much problems with sand, maybe because the shoe fits me kinda snug or perhaps because Big Island hardly get sand, ;).  I love the Vibrams on the rocks and reef, no more cutting feet.   I heard one surfer slice up his foot and now he's out of commission for a few weeks, that prompted me to buy the KSO.  The added grip on the deck of the board is nice, I no longer feel my toes trying to grab the deck causing foot pain.  The shoes do look funky and I swear a bunch of kids were laughing at my feet the other day.  It's good to know that if I ever fall off in a reefy area, my feet are protected.  Not sure if they are wana (sea urchin) proof though.

corgi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 11:30:49 PM »
Thanks for the great info. Called all the shops on Oahu but everyone is out and expecting the next shipment in a week or two.

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 12:02:19 AM »
Hey Corgi
  Is bluegrass out of these as well? I thought they had a pretty good stock.

corgi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 12:10:54 AM »
Hey SEA,
I didn't try them, Do you know where there located or store number?  Didn't see them on Vibram's store locator list.  Thanks.

Toesonthenose

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 01:30:06 PM »
XCEL makes some nice booties. The XCEL outlet on Oahu's N/shore carries their own brand as well as a few others. I have had one pair for about six years now and they are still holding up with no stretch , seam failure, or tears.
Also check out NRS (National River Supply). A little pricey but high quality products all around.

kseal3

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 02:13:57 PM »
Hey SEA,
I didn't try them, Do you know where there located or store number?  Didn't see them on Vibram's store locator list.  Thanks.

Wheatgrass store on Waialae Ave. up by Toys n Joys behind Bank of Hawaii.  The dude usually has a good pick of models and colors.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 02:49:56 PM »
Did you try Tropical Blends and runners room Aiea in gobananas.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal