Author Topic: Fins forward or fins back?  (Read 17574 times)

BrittanysDad

• Rincon Status
  • Goodbye, Sunshine. Daddy misses you.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - katzkillz
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fins forward or fins back?
« on: April 01, 2010, 07:04:05 AM »
I'm curious as to what the "proper" way to mount my board on my roof rack might be: fins toward the front of the vehicle, or towards the rear? 

I was told (several years ago, before I started surfing) that they should ALWAYS go forward and that this helped create a down draft wind effect on the board while driving.  Keeping the board from flexing up and, in theory(?), snapping in half.

So, since all of you have been doing this a while, and the person that told me this usually carries his board fins in the rear, I figured I would ask all of you.

Thanks.
BD

ehrawn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fins forward or fins back?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 07:37:46 AM »
I've heard people argue fins-forward because they will "catch" on the straps if the board slips out. I think your board/car/guy's car behind you is toast if it slips out at all. As long as your board is deck-down, the air flow will push it down onto your car.

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 09:01:43 AM »
Ah, a very olde argument in the surfing community.... A classic really.

Have heard it all, fins forward bottom up or down, fins rear up or down.

Aerodynamics, blah blah blah... Maybe some differences and to keep with flow of roof, bottoms up. But unless you're driving 200 miles at freeway speeds then likely doesn't matter much.

I've gone fins forward bottoms up because when I first started transporting boards I was afraid that if straps loosened it would provide an extra measure of security. Never have I ever had BOTH straps loosen enough for board to slip.

When I started windsurfing heavily and had very lightly constructed boards with hard rails throughout, I went fins forward bottoms down to protect the rails when tightening straps. Again, never had both straps loosen enough for board to slip backwards.

So my take on this is that if you're concerned with how scrutinizing people view you, go fins forward bottoms up. I have heard people make judgment on the ability of the surfer dependent on how they attach board to their vehicles. Is that not hilarious???

Makes me want to secure my board in the goofiest way imaginable, just to get a reaction from these kooks.

But enough of my babbling....suggest you go with what is most protective to the board, and if you have any concern (valid or not) about attachment that you put fins up front.

Otherwise, whatever requires the least amount of board maneuvering when putting it on roof or taking off and storing is probably the best way to do it. Most important is having good foam protection on the racks and good straps with functioning grips, and that you do at least one half-hitch with tail end of strap after tightening.

BrittanysDad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:17:54 AM »
I should have realized this could spark a vast number of opinions, and after posting figured I might have well just have asked, "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

I am sort of getting the idea that it doesn't really matter, which is fine.  I was just wondering if there were any technical mechanics involved that would sort of dictate one over the other.  It seems there is not.

And, sadly, I have run in to people who have determined whether or not I was able to surf based on several issues: have a wetsuit or not, use a wetsuit or not, how long/short my board is, etc, etc, etc.

I figure, if those people are THAT concerned about me, they must REALLY have some issues they are trying to divert away from themselves.

To paraphrase Dave Kalama's blog: if you're on the water, and you have a smile on your face, you're going it right.

As far as straps go, the ones I have now, that fit my SUP are, IMHO, a bit flimsy.  My FCS straps are substantially more "beefy" looking, however, a tad short for me to feel comfortable with.  That being the case, I'm ordering the Steel Core locking straps.  Double the safety, real or perceived.

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 09:22:09 AM »
And the steel cores have a key-lock mechanism too. An added security measure that is nice with the price of paddlesurf boards.

But for just down to the beach and back, you can find nylon straps at home depot or similar in different sizes that are pretty much as good as the dakine or fcs brand, and for less money. I've used these cheaper straps for all kinds of short and long drives at highway speeds without failure.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 09:24:31 AM by JC50 »

beaglebuddy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 11:59:16 AM »
the old question, seems like people put the fins forward so if the wind blows the boards loose, the fins will catch on the strap, however, a more likely scenario would be if you slammed on your brakes and the board flew off the front that's why I always put my surfboard with the fins in the back, that and just to be different I suppose.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
FIns forward for me.  Always have, always will.  I have no real reason for doing it, but it just seems to feel right. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 02:04:23 PM »
Dave says fins forward, but it seems kind of hard to me

Oh, you mean on the CAR! I stick them whatever way is handiest when I walk up to the rig. Half the time I have one going each way.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Reef Rocket

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 03:12:24 PM »
Surfboards 10' and under I go fins forward. With my 14' Sup I go fin to the back, fits better. It is longer than my vehicle. I cruise at 35-45 mph, speed limit is 45 mph most places on US1 in the keys. If I go any faster I may become airborn.

mikelefty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 03:55:48 PM »
Surfboards 10' and under I go fins forward. With my 14' Sup I go fin to the back, fits better. It is longer than my vehicle. I cruise at 35-45 mph, speed limit is 45 mph most places on US1 in the keys. If I go any faster I may become airborn.
[/quote

I concur, all prone boards are fin forward. My Bark 18' 6" is hull down, fin to the rear, works best in my racks, have had my truck up to 80mph, no problems, cuts the wind like butter, cross winds at gale force on the Newport (Pell) bridge (in RHode Island) are  somewhat scary, but still, strapped down tight the board is aerodynamic.

LagoonSurfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 04:10:28 PM »
Whew! Glad I've been doing it right. Fins BACKwards!  ;)

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 04:53:23 PM »
Growing up surfing in California EVERYBODY put the fins forward and I did the same (must be a reason, everyone does it that way).  Then in 1990 I visited Australia and noticed that everyone put the board on the car with the fins to the rear. 

Then when I started longboarding I had a Chevy Blazer and the board went in the car, sticking out of the back with a bungee holding the rear window lightly on the board.

Now with my SUP I typically put the fins to the rear on top of the car (except the Vortice, which I just put on the car whichever way is easiest when I'm carrying it to the car).

I really think it doesn't make any difference, but if I were traveling at freeway speeds I would put the fins to the rear of the vehicle.

BrittanysDad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 06:25:18 PM »
And the steel cores have a key-lock mechanism too. An added security measure that is nice with the price of paddlesurf boards.

But for just down to the beach and back, you can find nylon straps at home depot or similar in different sizes that are pretty much as good as the dakine or fcs brand, and for less money. I've used these cheaper straps for all kinds of short and long drives at highway speeds without failure.

Yeah, I did a search of older threads about the board locks and I liked what people had to say about them.  Especially PonoBill saying they had saved his boards from multiple attempts at theft.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 07:17:33 PM »

I usually have fins forward..dunno why.

The first thing I saw when landing in Hawaii (at the airport) was a car which had a surfboard tied to the top of the car with a sleeping bag. A bike cop went over chatted with the driver that had parked curbside....then just biked off...

...memories...

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 07:37:39 AM »
Usually fin up to the rear. But used to do fin down forward. It all works. Used bags with 2 boards going 80 to 90 mph and no problems. Just get good straps and like Bill says how ever it lands on the rack is good.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard