Author Topic: Told you so - Broken Paddle - Wavestorm paddle board package (Costco)  (Read 78904 times)

wilanz

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
My buddies already started with the "I Told you so".  I picked up the Wavestorm 10'6" and paddle for $450 at my local Costco on Monday night.

I am on day two of going out in the ocean and started catching little 2 foot waves out in Juno Beach this afternoon.  After a couple of dozen attempts, I rode one in and came off the shoulder very nice but when I started to paddle back out, I had a stick in my hand.  The blade was floating a couple of feet away.

Shouldn't the shaft go a little further down into the blade?

I am pretty new to SUP but have been white water kayaking and Kayak surfing (Waveski, too) for the last couple of years with nice Carbon paddles.  I knew an upgrade was needed but didn't think it would happen so soon.

Puamana4me

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Told you so - Broken Paddle - Wavestorm paddle board package (Costco)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 07:12:50 PM »
Time to deploy the excellent Costco unconditonal refund /return policy and go find some quality equipment .

Don"t feel bad, I just loaded up a supposed quality treadmill and returned it to Costco.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 09:01:59 PM »
I had Costco's 10'6" WaveStorm SUP for four days.  I took it out twice.  The first day, my very first day on a SUP, I could barely stay up on it - it was so jittery - took several nice face plants.  But, I did play around on it for a couple of hours either kneeling or sitting.  I did catch a few waves but I decided the fin was too small.  When I got back to the car, I decided the fin was also too flexible/flimsy.

Came back home and read your threads on stability and balance.  Waited a few days, for the muscles I'd hadn't used since who knows when to heal, and went out for my second time.  Didn't fall at all -  I was amazed, like some of you said in other threads, that my balance would improve so quickly. Tried to catch some waves; the SUP board still didn't work well.  I even tried just prone paddling into waves but it would turn and plow and flip.  These were very small, mushy waves.  I found if I just headed straight in, I could ride them - that was it.

Anyway, took it right back to Costco & they took it back, no questions asked (which was the reason I decided I'd try it - they have an exceptional return policy).

(the paddle I was using didn't break)
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 09:47:18 PM »
ya know what.. I started SUPing on an old 12 softtop I got from a local surf shop a few years ago.. It wasnt a very good board but it got me out on the water... Paid $450 for it.. just gave it away... now you can find kinda cheap used equipment (depending on where you are of course) but still, $450 to get you on the water is pretty decent...  get a good paddle... Werner has the Carve for around $200 and its a good paddle if you need to go low dollar...I love mine..   Keep the cheapie Costco board for friends after you get a better board.. and you will want a better board soon.... 

I remember all those piano lessons on my crap piano.... teacher always said, just wait till you get on a good one....

wilanz

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 06:21:28 PM »
I picked up a Werner Nitro adjustable.   Wow that's a nice paddle.   That small 7" blade and light carbon shaft makes my Costco board feel like a million bucks.  The paddle sure makes a world of difference. 

Now that I am on the water, I am looking forward to trying other boards and start shopping for an upgrade while I get the basics down.   Looking forward to returning this setup.   The company that makes them didn't even make an effort to respond to my email with the picture. 

NickFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:49:52 PM »
Congrats on the paddle pickup and going with my advice!  That is one sweet paddle  8)

Ajc111

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 06:50:35 PM »
broke my costco paddle within three outings - making the call to take the whole package back or to just get a good paddle   The board seems to not surf waves well at all has sharp rails in the front...anyone have any other info on the board

wilanz

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 07:31:58 PM »
broke my costco paddle within three outings - making the call to take the whole package back or to just get a good paddle   The board seems to not surf waves well at all has sharp rails in the front...anyone have any other info on the board

I just heard back from Wavestorm today.  They called me and were pretty receptive on my feedback since they make the board but buy the paddle from another supplier.   I'll wait to hear back tomorrow for an update.  I'll send you the contact info for the person I am working with.

I can't comment on the surfing capabilty.  I tried a couple of other beginner boards and they felt the same to me while on the wave.   I'll post an update when I try something better.  I can get on the wave, ride and get back off the shoulder.  That's pretty good for week 1 :)

Ajc111

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 07:59:31 AM »
very cool - thanks for help -

PDXSTANDUPGUY

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 08:07:42 PM »
noworrieshawaii, Cool positive vibe! I like it! Wish more people would spread that kind of aloha!

wilanz

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 08:01:30 PM »
UPDATE:
I received a replacement paddle from Wavestorm.  They mentioned changing design from the original to an improved one that's stronger.  I am looking forward to trying it this weekend.  The board has been lots of fun in the surf.   

chad19

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »
I broke a wooden Bending Branches Wavehound surfing two weekends ago. total faceplant. think they're replacing as the dealer said it was the first time he'd ever heard of one breaking.

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 02:50:38 PM »
I joined Costco about two weeks ago and wandered the whole store, bought a ton of groceries the first trip, didn't notice a SUP.

On my 3rd trip there I looked up and WHAM, there they were, how in the heck I missed em before, must have been sensory overload from all the other stuff.

So I now have my first SUP! I'm not expecting great things but am hopeful to just get out, get hooked and upgrade by next summer. The ice melted off the lakes recently so by next weekend I'm getting out there, with my thickest wetsuit.

This will be a great board for when my buddies come up to the lake and we imbibe heavily, should make for some great laughs.

Stoked to paddle out....
Semper Fi!

It's simple, either you get the wave or the wave gets you.

trailertrashed

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 03:26:34 PM »
I work for Costco and theres usually a few of those boards that come back every year with the same problem; the paddle. I laughed when we started carrying them a few years ago. Corporate must have caught on as we also carry an inflatable package, and brought in a "Jimmy Sticks Beaver" this year.

mike2jay1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 03:39:20 PM »
Soggy Piece of Foam.  I am a big fan of the wavestorm surf board it is perfect for beginners and priced right, the SUP I honestly thing you guys are rock stars i couldnt stay on that thing in the grass it was so wobbly for me. I am glad you guys all got great paddles, it is amazing how much the paddle makes a difference.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal