Author Topic: Waikiki rental  (Read 8467 times)

rkdjones

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Waikiki rental
« on: March 15, 2010, 04:17:16 PM »
I'm headed to Waikiki (west end) at the end of the month and will be looking for someplace to rent a SUP board and get a lesson.  I've been paddling on local lakes for about a year but have no surfing experience.  I'm 55 and break easily.  I found an old 2007 post recommending www.beachboyhale.com but wondered if anyone has an opinion.
Robert

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Waikiki rental
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 04:32:10 PM »
http://www.hhsurf.com/hh/

This guys on the corner, across from the zoo and under the Park Shore Waikiki Hotel.

He's got some big SUPs geared toward the tourist.

lazymodo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 05:34:31 PM »
Talk to Wilbur at the Royal Hawaiian Beach rentals. super cool guy and a great paddler.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 08:21:35 PM »
hi Robert when you say west end iam thinking Hilton Hawaiian village/ala moana area...that link you posted is the guys on the beach just to the east of the HHV infron of Ft Derussy...they are good...I once rented from the guys in front of the HHV rainbow tower...it was 35$ for a half day...I think...lesson is more

what dates you gonna be there?...I'm goin too

aloha

highsierrabear

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 09:40:24 PM »
We were just there (late Feb.) and each tried 5 different SUP boards for surfing.  Hans Heideman has a nice selection of boards, but is expensive.  They are right across the street from the zoo.  We also rented 12' Lairds from right on the beach.  There are a number of other places to rent SUPs, but some of them are far away from the beach (far enough to need a car/rack).

There was an okay spot in from of the Royal Hawaiian that we were able to catch some waves without having to paddle through the lineup.  It was good there until about 10am, then started just filling up with tourists on rental boards just sitting in the surf.  Frustrating.

There were some less crowded breaks nearer the Ala Wai canal, but there is shallow coral in alot of these areas.

Having said that, Waikiki is a rough place to learn to SUP surf if you aren't already an experienced surfer.  There can be literally hundreds of people in the water.  I'm very new to SUP, but have been surfing for about 8 years.  We know the "rules" and can stay out of trouble pretty well.  After a few days of being out there at the same time every day, the daily locals knew we were pretty safe and were friendly.  If you are going to take a surf specific SUP lesson, your instructor can probably find spot that's out of the way.

Not to harsh your mellow.  It's Hawaii after all and you'll have fun.  I'd recommend going out EARLY every day before the masses of tourists rent their longboards on the beach and clutter up the water.

[On a side note we went to Waikiki specifically to try a bunch of different size boards so that we would have a better idea what to order here in chilly Northern Calif.]

midwest

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 10:03:07 PM »

[On a side note we went to Waikiki specifically to try a bunch of different size boards so that we would have a better idea what to order here in chilly Northern Calif.]

Did you get to try a good range of boards?  I'm going to be there in early April and would like to do the same.

highsierrabear

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 09:26:37 AM »

Did you get to try a good range of boards?  I'm going to be there in early April and would like to do the same.

We (my gf and I) rented Alii Hawaiian Pro 10'3", 10'7", 11'0".  Also Laird (Surftech) 11'0", Laird 12'1" softop, and Surftech 11'6" softtop in Waikiki.  We also tried the NSP 11'6" in Kailua Bay as well.  We swapped on all the boards just to try them.  There were others available at Hans Heideman as well.  Most of the beachside SUP rentals were 12'1" Lairds (or thereabouts).  We didn't have a rental car, so beachside rental was a key.  There were other rental shops available as well.

It was really helpful to try a wide range of boards for surfing.  I took notes on all the dimensions of the sizes  (length, width, volume, nose, tail), for comparison later.  The whole experience gave me a really good starting point for dialing in the dimensions of a first Surf SUP.  We ended up spending about $400 on rentals, but it was worth it, rather than guessing at a new board.

FYI, The only board I tried that I thought wasn't a decent surfer was the NSP 11'6"  (33" wide and 4 3/4" thick).  Actually it caught waves easily but turning it was a beast.  It was okay if you only wanted to go in a straight line.  Surprisingly (to me anyway), even the 12'1" Laird could make a decent bottom turn.

I ended up ordering an 11'2" Starboard Blend for myself (a 6'0" 200# with a primary break of a slow, lazy wave.  My gf ordered a 10'5" Starboard Drive (she's 5'10" around 150# (with about 1% bodyfat and elite athlete).  I expect we will swap back and forth on our boards and eventually "outgrow" them as our abilities get better.  If the waves are bigger/faster I'll just bring out the prone board.

Hope that helps.

rkdjones

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 10:07:30 AM »
Steamroller,
I arrive on Mar.30, leave April 7 (just missing the arrival of the jellyfish).  I will be there with my wife and 10 year old son staying at the Waikiki Shores near the Trump Towers.
Robert

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 11:40:46 AM »
trump towers?...in waikiki?...is that the Hyatt twin towers?...im lost...

Outrigger Waikiki Shores?...thats right in front of "Threes" next to ft derussy right?..

anyway...cool...ill be there mar 29 thru april 3 with my wife and 14 y/o so well see eachother...im surfing all dawn partols and possibly afternoons too depending on what the family play sched in like...we always set up camp right in front of the hyatt in front the Duke statue...

Pm me we'll go surf...im bringing all my www.uliboards.com toys...

;D

midwest

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 06:57:51 PM »

I ended up ordering an 11'2" Starboard Blend for myself

Hope that helps.

Thank you, the 11'2 SB is a good choice, I have one myself  ;)

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 08:19:03 PM »
Steamroller extend your stay. 
I'm flying in April 3rd.
Aloha,
Tom English

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 09:16:01 PM »
ahh man i wish i could but im already feeling some *sick leave* coming on just to make it that far...ha ha...looks like they are going to get some big early south waves this weekend though...us too

;D

rkdjones

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 10:58:27 AM »
Steamroller,

Yes, we are staying right next to Fort DeRussy.  We are renting a Castle unit which is intermixed with Outrigger in the same building.  It will be the first time in Waikiki for me.  I will look for a guy with an Uli around the Duke statue.  I'll be the guy with grey hair and white skin (that should narrow it down).

Robert

trump towers?...in waikiki?...is that the Hyatt twin towers?...im lost...

Outrigger Waikiki Shores?...thats right in front of "Threes" next to ft derussy right?..

anyway...cool...ill be there mar 29 thru april 3 with my wife and 14 y/o so well see eachother...im surfing all dawn partols and possibly afternoons too depending on what the family play sched in like...we always set up camp right in front of the hyatt in front the Duke statue...

Pm me we'll go surf...im bringing all my www.uliboards.com toys...

;D

midwest

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 09:13:24 PM »
Is anyone renting sub 9 foot sup boards along Waikiki? I'm keen to try a few also.

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
i was there last month and didnt see anyything under 11ft
all for beginners  - that said if you ask maybe they could
get something

if renting for more than the day then there are places
away from the beach who could help

try wet feet

http://www.wetfeethawaii.com/default.asp?id=3

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard