Author Topic: JimmyStyks sup  (Read 76678 times)

HeyThatsMyB1ke

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
JimmyStyks sup
« on: March 12, 2010, 09:29:21 PM »
I've got some family in Vancouver right now, had them check out a few of the SUP stores around town. One of the places was really pushing JimmyStyks boards. Ever hear of them? Apparently they are out of Huntington, but pop em out in China.

http://www.jimmystyks.com/

I think I'll stick with Starboard, but looks like the price is right if someone wanted to get their feet wet

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: JimmyStyks sup
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 08:23:28 PM »
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.  So I won't say anything at all.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

venice mace

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 09:26:43 PM »
i'll say it then.. i heard he knocked off Jimmy Terell / QB

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 10:26:52 PM »
Yes they're made in china not that there is anything wrong with that. Hand cloned boards, cheap glass and resin, painted over to hide defects etc, but they're a good board for the price of course.

Not sure I'd "push em really hard" - more of a "customer is not into paying the cost of a Naish/starboard/one of mine, so sell em a Jimmystick so you don't loose the sale" kinda board lol.

Starboard - good company. Canadian like us ;-)

Corran

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 08:58:40 AM »
Venice,

The cat is out of the bag...  and it is way, way more underhanded than a mere knockoff.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 02:04:21 PM »
Is this the same guy involved in the Sean Ordonez and Joe Blair knockoffs?

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 03:55:06 PM »
Is this the same guy involved in the Sean Ordonez and Joe Blair knockoffs?

Hi Laszlo,
Please don't use SO and JB in the same sentence with some fictional bushy bushy blonde hairdo cartoon surfer dood...;-)

For the record...I say that as someone who was directly involved with helping them develop their original brand...and, intellectual property...as it were...;-)

They seem to have some very experienced shapers on board...;-)
Step deck displacement hulls and everything...;-)

"Get on it"...catchy toon...NOT!...;-)

We had one of the principals involved in this, (hmmmmm...knock...knock...what's the word, Tim?)  in our shop last week...BTW, Tim...were not you the farkin' attorney that wasn't gonna say anythang more on the subject...hmmmm...counselor, what do you know and when did you know it?...;-)

Anyways...I had to ask this guy 3 times to turn his camera off and put it away...most people usually get one warning...so, things got pretty heated in the shop, before he was ushered out of the door...I heard him say something about his brand that vaguely resembled "The best price SUP on the market!"..."designed by engineers for "Wally World"...whatevers that means...after all of that, I still received a 14mb marketing infomercial the next day...;-)

If a potential client asked me about them...as this guy did at first, trying to play my shop manager as "Joe Consumer" just looking for a SUP...that was before I interceded...he wasn't asking about a "Jimmy stick"...which is how we refer to Jimmy Lewis' SUP's...things have gotten kinda confusing since the "Big Red" and Big Blue" and JL 11' all around daze...;-)

I'm actually at a loss as to where they would sit in the "Ten-man rule for SUP's" pecking order...muy importante...maybe we should all carry waterproofed "union" cards so we can figure it out...;-)

I really wanna know...who is this "Jimmy Styks" dood? Jimmy Terrell sure doesn't look like a surfer dood...Midwest as a cornfield...although, Lizzy is kinda surfery looking...;-)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 04:28:30 PM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 04:26:33 PM »
We are all for a little intrigue, but 7 posts in and I am still stuck at, "huh?".

If the cat is out of the bag, we need another cat, or at least one that meooows without inuendo.

Hip

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 04:35:04 PM »
I have no clue what SUP dude said... ???

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 05:34:24 PM »
I know the factory where they are made and have seen them being made. The deck is CNC cut very roughly into a blank that already has the approximate rocker hot wired into it. They do not bother to finish the CNC cutting. Just the crown. Then its hand shaped by chinese ghost shapers that have templates and little rail templates getting the boards kinda similar from board to board. Faster this way than finishing the Job on the machine. They are hand laminated using cheap epoxy and glass, mistakes are patched and fixed as they go along and then its all hidden under paint.

if you're looking for a generic SUP that says "hello, I'm an unoriginal SUP that's really cheap" they're perfect. Unoriginal and heavy and glassed to be bashed, all for low cost. You get what you pay for.

Generally things like this are not bad. Same goes for my plastic SUP. As a high end user, its a joke, BUT what these do is get people into the sport. Their 2nd buy in 2 years will be a performance board, from a specialty shop.

And as for their image, thats mass markting for you... whether its shoes or T shirts etc... no one want to be told "you're bying a piece of junk"... even "junk" must have groovy marketing, and the dumb cartoon is perfect for the target market. Stinks if you're a real surfer, but for Joe Consumer... its spot on. Its the surfboard version of Blue Crush ;-)

Corran

supdawg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 03:31:04 PM »
FACTS! why dont you guys stop blowing smoke out of your @#$! You all are talking like a bunch of childish School Girls! First Corran is full of @#%! he has his boards manufactured fom the same factory!If you would like to see pictures I will gladdy send them. All Jimmy styks boards are Completly CNC shaped and all materials are only the best! We show everything on our website unlike the ``Big Names`` where they manufacture in Thialand from `Cobras`` factory because labour I cheaper than China! attached is a picture of our clear board and we sell it for the SAME price! Pretty hard to do if its slapped together with filler and paint! All of our designs are comleted with Acu shaper software and are unique to us! When I read posts like this I feel sorry for all you SUCKERS out there that are lining the pockets of `the Big Cos pockets for product that is even cheaper to produce than `Jimmy Styks``Those CEOs a laughing all the way to the bank! And I supose you hyprocrites shop at Costco, Home Depot etc!! Go back to your little world but watch out for the train barreling down the tracks!

HeyThatsMyB1ke

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 06:20:54 PM »
Well, this ought to get interesting.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 07:58:03 PM »
Quite a first post   
I am sure all the forum members are going to be running out the door to buy a Jimmy Styks now.

Supdawg you might want to work on your PR approach
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 08:01:13 PM »
FACTS! why dont you guys stop blowing smoke out of your @#$! You all are talking like a bunch of childish School Girls! First Corran is full of @#%! he has his boards manufactured fom the same factory!If you would like to see pictures I will gladdy send them. All Jimmy styks boards are Completly CNC shaped and all materials are only the best! We show everything on our website unlike the ``Big Names`` where they manufacture in Thialand from `Cobras`` factory because labour I cheaper than China! attached is a picture of our clear board and we sell it for the SAME price! Pretty hard to do if its slapped together with filler and paint! All of our designs are comleted with Acu shaper software and are unique to us! When I read posts like this I feel sorry for all you SUCKERS out there that are lining the pockets of `the Big Cos pockets for product that is even cheaper to produce than `Jimmy Styks``Those CEOs a laughing all the way to the bank! And I supose you hyprocrites shop at Costco, Home Depot etc!! Go back to your little world but watch out for the train barreling down the tracks!

The difference being that most of the forum's school girls have spell check.

supdawg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 09:08:39 PM »
Sorry guys, not trying to offend any of the logical thinkers out there and plus PR doest work on that kind of mentality! Brain washing is a hard thing to fix! When you have a high quality product at the best price people WILL run out and buy it, and they are! But in all seriousness I am kinda a nice guy, just hate how the industry and the BIG Co's have got everyone believing in them! Even if they use the most expensive EPS foam, "Bamboo Fibre" glass, epoxy and Agar-wood stringer they are still WHY over priced! And the sad thing is the ones that believe they are getting a better board are the same surfer "Dudes" (not doods like above since spell check is so important) that are typically broke and work at 7-eleven. We are in 2010 its time to take advantage of the advanced technology in manufacturing to pay what you should for the product you buy! We are only here to expose the industry and give the world at we say "the world’s best board at the world’s best price". e-mail us, phone us and ask us what you want to know. We will not only provide you with the answers but we will give you pictures and video of whatever you want to see! Try doing that to the big guys! Ask them where there boards are really made! Go see there factories! If you only believe in the local shapers then go see the high school kid who is paid contract to make the board! Come on boys! Let’s talk FACTS! PS my Name is Kyle call me or e-mail any time!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill