Author Topic: Paddling upwind  (Read 11567 times)

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddling upwind
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 07:13:10 PM »
Good point SEA.  And very important for that last annoying part of the HK run when you come in at Kaimana.

I've also noted that if I go into the goofy foot stance (I surf regular foot) and really bend my knees I can get a good stroke into that side on wind - I can get lots of leverage from that stance.

A couple weeks ago I watched these other guys go in right after Tongs and then paddle through Outrigger and they beat me by 5 minutes.  I have to confess I've started using that route and the "avoid it" strategy.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 10:27:47 PM »
A friend of mine who is sponsored by Naish shared a tip with me when doing down wind runs ,I tried it and it works really well.  This mostly applies to Down wind boards i believe (never tried on a surfing SUB). I tried it on my 14' Glide. 

EXAMPLE :  you are doing a Hawaii Kai run and your coming around Daimond head , heading for Kaimana beach. The wind is coming off shore and hitting your right side pushing you out to SEA as you try to paddle parallel to shore.

SOLUTION:  put more weight on your Left Rail which will lift up your Right rail off the water and paddle on your left side .  You will see your board begin to turn towards shore and into the wind (which is hitting you on your right side).  This works very well.

When my friend told me this trick the first thing I thought was ,  It defies all logic. However when I tried  , it works !!!!

I find bending the knees is helpful to.

chad19

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 02:13:51 PM »
go hard

when the wind pipes up or the current is strong, go hard

LagoonSurfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 07:20:08 AM »
I have found with both SUB's and Kayaks knuckle-busting it with the mighty wind, in addition to the really good suggestions posted here already, the trick is to absolutely commit. It's that core athlete thing--failure is not an option. I've been in some really tough weather conditions out on the water over the years and nothing helps me more than winning the psych game--it is not even a consideration that I am not going to make it across. Do it. Upwinding has made me a healthier, more confident person.

It's like the man said---go hard.

For sure.

LagoonSurfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 07:27:44 AM »
Something I have considered if I were ever in a terrible OMG-like Upwind situation is carrying along a Greenland style Storm Paddle. I have one from sea kayaking. They are really cool. They are light wood and short. They look like this:

http://www.tuktupaddles.com/Stormpaddles.html

Anyway, my thought is to get a leather tong or strap and tie it around the little paddle and sling it over my shoulder (like Robin Hood carries his bow). The drop to the knees or my butt when things got out of control and dig for it (would only even carry it if the weather predictions included the possibility of really rough stuff and I was in the mood to push it). Up to 20 knot headwinds and I STAND.

Stop laughing. Could work!

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal