Author Topic: SUP footwear?  (Read 16693 times)

Pureadrenalin

SUP footwear?
« on: March 11, 2010, 04:14:28 PM »
I am shopping around for new SUP shoes what would  you recommend? I usually use Vibrams but there are hard to find and always out of stock. So I need some idea what would be comparable haven't tried anything else.

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP footwear?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 01:19:29 PM »
Hello, I use Neil Pryde booties which are made for windsurfing but also work well on sup.
These are smooth and thinly soled and come up to the ankle with a velcro strap and thin neoprene to protect from the cool water.
I prefer the thin sole because I don't loose any sensitivity for the sup trim and for me, this is very important.

I've tried other water shoes with thicker soles but I feel that the traction pad and the thick sole 'insulate' your feel from the board's trim.

Go to Amazon under "surfing boots" and there are several other similar models there.

Good luck !

jd
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 02:01:07 PM »
It depends what you want the foot wear for.

If it's just for flat water paddling to help prevent sore feet.. add protection if you step off onto rocks.. and even add a little warmth.. you should try Crocs.

They're very cumfee.. but no good for surfing or down-winding where you sometimes need to move your feet fast.

DJ

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 02:04:12 PM »
How about Okespor Kite lows for max feel (thin soft sole) or Okespor GORGE for real tough rocky conditions

Available EVERYWHERE

If not just pop me a PM
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

fms

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:58:18 AM »
Hey,I agree with DJ. For me it depends on the application.For waves I'm wearing nothing or boots.However I do a lot of distance and after a few hours my feet are killin me.I've used a lot of products and found my favorites are either: Zoot TRI sneakers(super lightweight,sockless  and great support.)Or New Balance 920 or 820 water sneakers ( light,great drainage and support) You can find these at almost any running store or on Zappos.com Hope this is helpful.FMS

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 07:15:43 PM »
I have the Vibrams and Oneill superfreak split toes.  I think I like the superfreaks better.  I don't think the other 4 toes are doing much.  Plus, easier to put on.  I always seem to jam 2 toes in one sleeve.

http://www.zappos.com/oneill-superfreak-tropical-st-boot-black

For windsurfing, the superfreak is a lot easier to get in the strap.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 10:09:59 PM »
I have the Vibrams and Oneill superfreak split toes.  I think I like the superfreaks better.  I don't think the other 4 toes are doing much.  Plus, easier to put on.  I always seem to jam 2 toes in one sleeve.

http://www.zappos.com/oneill-superfreak-tropical-st-boot-black

For windsurfing, the superfreak is a lot easier to get in the strap.

Superfreak looks cool. Are they durable do they last? Can you use them for other things too? Like cross training,weightlifting,running or hiking? Just wondering if its versatile like Vibrams.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 01:27:22 AM »
The oneill's probably wouldn't last too long.  Pretty much just for the water.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 11:12:36 AM »
Au contraire. I have two pairs of Superfreak split-toes that are at least 3 years old, maybe four. Abused, walked in, left in the gear box of the Funmobile (my jeep) over the summers--a treatment that bizarrely DISSOLVED a plastic dead strike hammer. They are still just fine. No idea why, but the buggers are near bulletproof. They have worn a bit thinner but still have meat and grip left.

I like 'em.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 01:13:01 PM »
when warm exel reefboots
when cold exel drylock 3mm split toe
when very cold exel 5mm drylock

surfcal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 06:39:34 PM »
It depends what you want the foot wear for.

If it's just for flat water paddling to help prevent sore feet.. add protection if you step off onto rocks.. and even add a little warmth.. you should try Crocs.

They're very cumfee.. but no good for surfing or down-winding where you sometimes need to move your feet fast.

DJ

DavidJohn,
 This is just for you ;D

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 08:39:52 PM »
LMAO. Nice dual purpose. ;D

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email