Author Topic: Standup On Nightline: Laird and Dave  (Read 2995 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Standup On Nightline: Laird and Dave
« on: March 06, 2010, 10:19:59 AM »
I've been helping Dave Kalama put together a website--a blog. It's still a work in progress, but its pretty cool. Last night ABC Nightline ran a long segment on big wave surfing featuring Laird and Dave and it's posted as a video. Nice segment on this season's amazing swells, riding big waves in general, and doing standup on Hanelei Bay.

http://www.davidkalama.com/  Some squatter got DaveKalama--so it goes. Dave writes like he talks, which is good news. Straight from the shoulder, funny, and self deprecating. Enjoy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Standup On Nightline: Laird and Dave
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 10:51:04 AM »
Great site.  Noone has more insight and paddle knowledge then David Kalama.  I look forward to more articles and videos of him ripping/napping in the future.  It is awesome that so many stories and videos of Dave include a nap segment.  

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 11:27:06 AM »
Nice site and a good piece on Night Line.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Woody

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 12:46:11 PM »
Great piece on Laird and Dave! I have the benefit of an annual trip to Hanalei each Thanksgiving and I love catching glimpses of these great watermen in their true elements. What a treat to behold!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 02:59:01 PM »
Very nice...going to be fun following along for the ride.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 08:45:04 PM »
Great Clip,   I wonder what they are  going to do next when laird says he wants to be in the foil?  instead of Hydra foil will it be the Human Foil?  the ultimate way to body surf
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 10:12:25 PM »
Great Clip,   I wonder what they are  going to do next when laird says he wants to be in the foil?  instead of Hydra foil will it be the Human Foil?  the ultimate way to body surf

Yeah.. SubSurfing... I'm surprised they didn't show it.

Here's a past thread about it.. http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2334.0

DJ

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:22:35 PM by DavidJohn »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 11:00:51 PM »
I think he's planning something else. I'll ask about it if I can remember to.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

J.Riggs

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 08:51:27 AM »
Looks good Bill. Nice work with the site.

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 06:38:22 AM »
you've done a great job on that Bill. now we get direct news of Dave, thanks for helping that happen.
Dave has taken the front seat and become THE # 1 sup creator/ambassador. good to see, he deserves double of everything he's getting.
any idea what trick Laird has up his sleeve ? it's been a while that he is laying low and that usually means he's got something cooking...

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 07:13:08 AM »

Great Clip,   I wonder what they are  going to do next when laird says he wants to be in the foil?  instead of Hydra foil will it be the Human Foil?  the ultimate way to body surf

Yeah.. SubSurfing... I'm surprised they didn't show it.

Here's a past thread about it.. http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2334.0

DJ

how in the world did you remember that post ??? anyone tried subing yet ? i'm in Varcala south India, there are waves but i have no board. guess what i'm doing and having great fun ?

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 08:05:01 AM »
watched the clip. yes, he speaks of underwater body surfing incorporating a foil.
i've actually toyed with the concept but nothing conclusive so far. really curious as to what approach they will take. anyone have info ?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal