Author Topic: Dave Kalama - Photos - Technique  (Read 26309 times)

Pureadrenalin

Re: Dave Kalama - Photos - Technique
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 11:16:10 AM »
Sometimes you can learn as much from the tip talk on the ride up as you can from the paddle back down.   T, Andrea, Jeremy, Devin, Junya, Chris, Dave... enough combined ocean paddling experience to fill volumes.  The tip that I was focused on during this run was eliminating paddel produced nose diving or even better yet, creating lift at the catch. 

In the photo’s of Dave, you can see that he creates forward momentum with his reach and pull, but does not drive the nose down, causing the board to plow.  I’m working on this.  I have heard it described in various ways.  “The paddle stroke should take the form of a nike swoop” “Weight the paddle, unweight your board”  “Be light on your feet”  All of these were tips I’ve heard on the ride up and then practiced on the water. 

Such an amazing time for the sport when you can learn firsthand from the very best.  I don’t imagine it will be this way for much longer.

I was just looking at the photos of Dave and yeah the board lift from the catch to the return is really noticeable. You can really see the power in those strokes. Its strange the deeper you get into this sport you begin to notice every different variable makes the biggest difference. Technique is everything.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal