Author Topic: would you be in the water if you know a tsunami is coming?  (Read 10869 times)

Lobes

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: would you be in the water if you know a tsunami is coming?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 10:16:27 PM »
There is a theory that was propogated a few years ago that the melting ice caps and glaciers at the poles would release so much mass of water that its immense weight being redistributed would cause different pressure zones on the earths plates. Supposedly this could then cause earthquakes.

Not sure if I'm buying it but interesting to consider that here in the hottest decade on record we also had two of the strongest earthquakes ever (Boxing day 2005 and Chile last week)

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 07:57:41 AM »
There is a theory that was propogated a few years ago that the melting ice caps and glaciers at the poles would release so much mass of water that its immense weight being redistributed would cause different pressure zones on the earths plates. Supposedly this could then cause earthquakes.

Not sure if I'm buying it but interesting to consider that here in the hottest decade on record we also had two of the strongest earthquakes ever (Boxing day 2005 and Chile last week)
Global warming causes earthquakes?!?
It would embarrass me to quote such a theory.   :-\
But that's for a different thread.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:40:55 AM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 12:55:29 PM »
Lobes, Let me ask you this ; have you ever filled a glass of water and ice to the top of a glass and then forget about it?  And then, when you come back do you find water all over the place?  No, you don't.  Thats because the melting ice is less dense than the water surrounding it.  Therefore, it displaces more water in the ice form than in does once it is melted and converted to water.  So, as the ice melts there is more room in the glass to contain it, just like the oceans can accomodate the melting ice caps.

Think about it, and be careful listening to "experts" like Al Gore.

SchUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 03:02:41 PM »
Lobes, Let me ask you this ; have you ever filled a glass of water and ice to the top of a glass and then forget about it?  And then, when you come back do you find water all over the place?  No, you don't.  Thats because the melting ice is less dense than the water surrounding it.  Therefore, it displaces more water in the ice form than in does once it is melted and converted to water.  So, as the ice melts there is more room in the glass to contain it, just like the oceans can accomodate the melting ice caps.

I think the theory has more to do with land based ice-melt than icebergs.  Antarctica is mostly land, greenland is mostly land... the ice melts, then adds to the sea...

Lobes

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 03:50:23 PM »
Lobes, Let me ask you this ; have you ever filled a glass of water and ice to the top of a glass and then forget about it?  And then, when you come back do you find water all over the place?  No, you don't.  Thats because the melting ice is less dense than the water surrounding it.  Therefore, it displaces more water in the ice form than in does once it is melted and converted to water.  So, as the ice melts there is more room in the glass to contain it, just like the oceans can accomodate the melting ice caps.

I think the theory has more to do with land based ice-melt than icebergs.  Antarctica is mostly land, greenland is mostly land... the ice melts, then adds to the sea...

Yes exactly, The ice Im referring to is not floating but rather sits on top of land as in Greenland, Antarctica and glaciers. To use the glass of water analogy its as if an ice cube is sitting on the rim of the glass and melting in. Eventually the water level will rise for sure.

I realise its a bit of a kooky theory and maybe only peripherally on topic but I found it interesting and I've yet to see conclusive evidence either way for it.

Also I would expect any sea level rise to be be at least partly caused by thermal expansion of the oceans. ie water at (say) 30 degrees occupies greater volume than water at 20 degrees. In that case it matters less that the extra water comes from ice at all. Its the water thats already there (but warmer) thats going to be the significant factor.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:55:56 PM by Lobes »

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 06:08:44 AM »
From my geology classes, in theory water was often the cause of earthquakes.  Theory was that after heavy rainfall the water lubed the faults.

It also makes sense that pressure wether from tidal flows or extra mass could also have an effect on fault zones.

Also looking ahead to 2012 when we are in alignment with the center of our solar system that external forces could cause shifts. 

Seems to me that the last few years have produced large earthquakes. Geologists say that thousands of earthquakes happen every year so no alarms are sounding.  I don't think we know the answer.  So don't miss an opportunity to get wet.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 04:03:49 PM »
Imagine cruising around on the calm flat water in this marina and having a huge wall of white water come over the breakwater wall and head towards you..

https://youtu.be/sh54ahaMle4

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 04:20:07 PM »
Gnarly! Assuming more tsunami's didn't come, it looks like at the end of the video that the little boat made it but we no longer see the bigger boat. Anyone know if there were more tsunami's after these?

Imagine cruising around on the calm flat water in this marina and having a huge wall of white water come over the breakwater wall and head towards you..

https://youtu.be/sh54ahaMle4
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 04:34:05 PM by magentawave »
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 04:24:48 PM »
I am a geologist. In my view  a tsunami is  not a wave in the tradition sense where a wave is generated by wind blowing  over a distance in the surface if the water,Rather  a tsunami  develops when there is sudden offset in the sea floor as a result of an  earthquake.  so think of it like this the sea floor is flat then along a fairly discrete  line the bottom  drops  a few feet. lets say 10 feet for big earthquake   what happens  to the surface of the water  well it also drops and then seeks to level it self  that produces the energy to send the water traveling at speeds up to 600 mph across the ocean to a  unsuspecting landing zone,  The wave heigh  is   negligible in the open  ocean but  the energy  well the sea floor just dropped or maybe rose 10 feet..   so  the answer is no  I would not be in the water .
want to have some  fun go make your own tsunami   stand on a sandy beach where a small  cliff has formed maybe 2 or 3 feet  push the unstable  sand into the water and there you have it,  which is what is expected to happen  in Hawaii when a big lava shelf which is already cracked   drops into the ocean ..

so Nope no way  unless I was way out on a boat.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 04:54:49 PM »
I have already experienced an "almost death" experience (not a fan of near death). Tsunami hahaha. Methinks NOT!💀 🌊
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 05:09:43 PM »
Some of these beach goers seem to enjoy a few tsunami waves -

http://youtu.be/zMb6s6ks1_g
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2015, 05:10:50 PM »
I am a geologist.

In need of an editor.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 08:03:10 AM »
I am a geologist.

In need of an editor.

truer words were never spoken I admit I am the worst typist in the world  or at least here and that damn spell check changes words as I go to0.!!!!
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 08:15:14 AM »
id be more embarrassed to put forth the water analogy--land ice melting into the oceans adds water--simple--and much land ice has and will melt given unarguable warming (causes? some consider arguable)---if you were fleeing kiribati, you'd get it

who knows what global warming will cause, and when/if it will cease?--whatever results from it, it's safe to assume it will be very serious for many humans
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 08:48:48 AM »
seems pretty compeling that liquid waste byproduct of fracking cause earthquakes:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/04/13/weather-underground
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal