Author Topic: Run of the Charles - New SUP Race in Massachusetts  (Read 11895 times)

markskipaddle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Run of the Charles - New SUP Race in Massachusetts
« on: March 01, 2010, 08:01:24 PM »
This with be the 25th year of the "Run of the Charles" but the first year with a SUP class. Racers will have the choice of a 19 mile, 9 mile or 6 mile race.

http://crwa.org/rotc/rotc.html

Please contact me if you have questions.

Mark Jacobson
Charles River Canoe & Kayak
617-965-5110
www.paddleboston.com

mikelefty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Run of the Charles - New SUP Race in Massachusetts
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 10:47:45 PM »
Looks like fun, I did the Jamestown Counter-revolution in RI (race was shortned to 10 miles due to a N'oreaster) last August, was the only SUP'r, had a fun time digging it out against the speedy scullers, kayaks, and surfskis( they are way too fast for me). I've been watching this race as a possibilty, thanx for including us SUP'rs...I expect to sign up...19 miles no problem, even if we get a freak april snow storm. Couple of questions:

1 Are the portages long or short distance, this would determine board size.
2 Will there b any shuttles to -fro start and finish.

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 07:09:07 AM »
MikeLefty, I checked the website there's info about the course & portages.

19-mile course has 3 portages. 1 & 2 is stated as 300 yds, 3 is 1/2 mile.

mikelefty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 07:55:59 AM »
Is it safe to assume you would walk the 3rd portage a 1/2 mile?. Guess that would impact the size of board to consider.

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 08:31:31 AM »
fck no, brother; you run, run, run!  ;D ;D

boardshorts

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 02:20:48 PM »
...suddenly the starboard 11-2 @ 25 lbs looks like a winning board!

mikelefty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 03:27:55 PM »
...suddenly the starboard 11-2 @ 25 lbs looks like a winning board!

no doubt, I think running the BARK 18 would suck for a 1/2 mile, although It is lighter than my 11'6" timpone, it would suck clearing brushy/woodsy riverbank areas during portage. I've got eyes on a shorter reace type board soon, should take care of the lenght problem, I still hate running...for anything

exetersup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
If I go, I'll be on my 11'2 Blend as well...What level are you thinking of doing? I'd be fine with the 9 miler, just because I haven't been training as much as I'd like. However, I have a few other major paddle tours in mind: The NYC paddle for autism AND the CCBC, both over 30 miles. But, I only have my one 11'2, which I know is not the most preferred for the long tours. We'll see, maybe I can score a new 14'er before the summer? Any suggestions of where I can pick one up in the greater NH or Boston area?
Thanks, oh and btw, only 19 days till Spring! Yeehaa! ;D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 05:58:14 PM »
Glad to see you folks have added a SUP division...I tried to get in (a little late) last year. I did the ROTC many years ago as part of a canoe relay team.

One thing that anyone on a SUP is going to have to think of is the potential for a couple of spots being too shallow for regular fins...upper Charles in particular...I remember scraping bottom in a canoe here and there. Don't go barefoot or just in booties....you'll want something with a hard sole.....shallow spots can collect broken glass or other sharp debris.

Going to need a handle on my Vec...pray for no headwind...:)

Exeter give Shawn Vecchione a shout...he's been shaping  some nice distance boards this winter.
http://www.vecsurfboards.com/home/home.html
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:22:14 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

exetersup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 07:02:43 AM »
Thanks,
I'll get in touch with Vec. How do you like your Vec distance board?

mikelefty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 07:43:43 PM »
So, I'm looking at the 19 mile race. I figure I've put in 50-60 miles a month since November, although recent travel for work has cost me 10 days of SUP dt's, that will end soon. I feel good about the challenge, and if it hurts..really who cares. Would like to see if anyone in the NE SUP tribe who is thinking of particpating would like to work out shuttles to and from start/finish points.
Also, a question to ' Axe, how strong is the river current (up river/inland) at that time of year, are the currents less of a factor as you near the tidal/head of the Charles due to tidal flodding/ebbing, just curious.

PM me if interested in getting a shuttle group, I have a p/u truck with a bed and roof racks.I live in Rhode Island

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 07:43:59 PM »
I love it...only thing I might suggest for our conditions is to add a little displacement to the nose.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 09:39:58 AM »
" And I love that dirty water............................." :)
This is going to be awesome.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 01:04:53 PM »
Also, a question to ' Axe, how strong is the river current (up river/inland) at that time of year, are the currents less of a factor as you near the tidal/head of the Charles due to tidal flodding/ebbing, just curious.

It's been years since I've paddled the Charles so others could probably amswer that better than I. Current was never much of an issue though except for a few narrow shallow spots. Definitely less of an issue as you get further downstream...course it all depends on rainfall.
Bob

lazymodo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 05:38:19 PM »
what about water depth? Fins, fragile composite hulls+ rocks..........???

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal