Author Topic: Wood SUP  (Read 18250 times)

Yohan1973

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wood SUP
« on: February 22, 2010, 05:32:37 PM »
Sometime this year I'm going to either build a SUP or a small boat. Not sure which one just yet. If I build the SUP this is the one:

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/PaddleBoard.php

The designer is a pretty cool dude, I followed his development of it and got the plans right away. It's a bit on the heavy side but I guess the options for  ply S&G SUP plans are a bit limited.

Waterwitch

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wood SUP
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 03:21:33 PM »
Kind of an odd place for your post but I see Chesapeake light craft has a 32 lb paddle board http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/surf_boats/kaholo-stand-up-paddleboard.html

I could not warm up to a stitch and glue hard   plywood paddle  board so am building a hollow
wood SUP instead.

Yohan1973

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 09:08:50 AM »
Kind of an odd place for your post but I see Chesapeake light craft has a 32 lb paddle board http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/surf_boats/kaholo-stand-up-paddleboard.html

I could not warm up to a stitch and glue hard   plywood paddle  board so am building a hollow
wood SUP instead.
YEah, sorry. My wife distracted me from finishing the post. I'll be using this thing EXCLUSIVELY to fish from. I've been debating this with myself for the last...2-3 years. I've seen the CLC version. They were the first to make a S&G board commercially available but you have to buy the kit. They don't sell the plans by themselves. Their kit is like 700 bucks! I'm not really sure if even THIS particular design will suite my needs though. I fish the flats of the Mosquito Lagoon in Florida and small creeks. Mainly fly fishing. I kinda think something a little wider would work better but I'm not all to sure yet.

JeffBach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 03:28:40 AM »
#1 - That JEM kit/plan sure looks like a ripoff of the CLC Boats kit/plan.  I think CLC came first but am not 100% sure. At any rate, it makes me leery of giving JEM  any $$ as the picture is a dead ringer of the CLC pictures.

JEM if you read this forum please explain yourself as to origins.....

#2 - I bought the plan - only - from CLC last spring.  At that time they did offer JUST the plan.  Unsure if that has changed. Also went back to CLC for the Fiberglass cloth and resin and accessories.  CLC seems like a great bunch of people.  btw, they will be at Canoecopia in Madison, WI. this weekend (3/12-14) if anyone feels like a road trip to country's largest three day paddlesports expo.

#3 - I ended up using a different species of 4mm and 6mm  plywood.  The CLC plans call for 3mm and 6mm plywood of a wood I can't remember at the moment.  For me here in Madison, WI. I could not find the plywood the plans called for and bought the next best thing instead. So far so good, although forcing the v-shape of the bow took more muscle and swearing than it probably should have. I'm guessing 1mm makes a difference.

#4 - Still not done with it.  Life got busy  and then fall and winter coolness made me nervous about resin curing.  But heat is in the air now (it almost hit 50 degrees this weekend!! kids were wearing shorts :)

Yohan1973

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 07:00:26 PM »
#1 - That JEM kit/plan sure looks like a ripoff of the CLC Boats kit/plan.  I think CLC came first but am not 100% sure. At any rate, it makes me leery of giving JEM  any $$ as the picture is a dead ringer of the CLC pictures.
The CLC was designed before the JEM.
I’ve looked at both, the only real thing they share in common is length. There are some significant differences. The JEM sup is wider and the transom is wider. The JEM is built from 6 major facets and the CLC from 4. The rocker is very different too. I do like the way the CLC builds it bottom facet from 3 parts and folds the bow forward. That is a sweet design feature. Anyway, The JEM plans are excellent. I did notice that CLC does offer plans. I didn’t see that at first. I have to say that I am impressed with the JEM plans. They are better than most boat plans that I’ve seen to date. I have a collection of about 20 boat plans now. Not only that but as an architect, I have seen lots of plans of various types in my day. With that said, I have not seen the CLC plans so I don’t know what those are like. I have only seen pictures and their wood parts diagram. My thoughts on the two is that the JEM sup is more stable due to it’s increased volume. The CLC sup should be the faster of the two though. I don’t think it is a rip off. I think there is only so much you can do with a 14’ long board. Besides most S&G designers design craft based on very narrow critiea that is easily identifiable to the prospective customer. Most s&g designers have their own version of the wee lassie. You don’t accuse them off ripping off  Henry Rushton just as most surf board manufactures produce a long board. You don’t accuse THEM of ripping off Duke Kahanamoku do you?

JEffBach, I hope it warms up some more up there. Have you taken any pictures to document your build? I would love to see it! I can imagine that forcing your “bow bottom panels” into shape could be a bear if you are using thicker panels. So what type of ply are you using? Both designers suggest Okume. This little recession told me that I should use Luan! Lol
Takecare

JeffBach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 07:02:04 AM »
Fair enough on the JEM vs. CLC. Good explanation!

The CLC plans call Okoume, which I could not find anywhere within driving distance of Madison.  I am using 4mm and 6mm Merante. 

The stuff I bought has the special "stamp" of approval that supposedly assures the buyer that the plywood is airplane grade quality and has no void space.

As soon as it warms up enough, I'll be back out in my shop finishing my build off.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 08:38:13 PM »
One of our paddlers in last years CCBC had a beautifully built and finished CLC.  Board was fast and stable.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

buddha

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 08:58:59 PM »
Sometime this year I'm going to either build a SUP or a small boat. Not sure which one just yet. If I build the SUP this is the one:

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/PaddleBoard.php

The designer is a pretty cool dude, I followed his development of it and got the plans right away. It's a bit on the heavy side but I guess the options for  ply S&G SUP plans are a bit limited.

Here is another company that has a wooden paddle board.

http://www.surfwoodboards.com/html/products.html

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM