Author Topic: Advice for new dad  (Read 4053 times)

exetersup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice for new dad
« on: February 19, 2010, 07:29:13 PM »
Aloha everyone!
I'm a proud new dad of a beautiful baby girl! i can't wait to get her to the beach this summer and eventually on a board. So, I'm curious, does anyone have any recommendations for training and/or paddling when you have a new baby? It's only been a week, and I don't want to miss a single minute from just watching her, but I'm sure I'll be getting some time in the near future to leave the house, my wife, and baby for a couple hours to go for a quick surf or paddle. Luckily, my wife is super supportive of me getting my physical needs met, just as long as I don't take advantage (obviously). A happy wife is a happy life, said a good friend of mine.
Would love to know what any of you parents out there have for advice.
Thanks,
Shawn

exetersup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Advice for new dad
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 07:33:22 PM »
Isla Rosemary:
Future SUP women's world champ! ;D

mikelefty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 07:56:11 PM »
First, congratulations. Let the time to paddle come to you, you will quickly learn to balance the needs of your wife, child, work and will find plenty of time to "go to church", that is what I  call it. My wife has lots of religious faith, she laughs at that, but understands the magic the ocean returns to me. She is also a triathlete, we work HARD to keep each others needs met.
I have 5 children, at 47 years old I've learned to balance many needs, still paddle upto 40-60 miles a month in often shitty New England conditions. The biggest piece of advise, walk away from parents (new or "experienced") that bitch about the very bed they made...the joy of having children, the stress and pain of raising children, embrace it, hug it and enjoy. My 7 year old drew the coolest picture of me riding my Bark 18 footer, how cool is that, I could care less if she ever sups/surfs, kids understand more than we ever care to realize........enjoy, your baby will be driving and getting speeding tickets like my oldest girl, at the blink of an eye. Cheerzs

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:35:08 PM »
Congrats...what a cutie...lets see if I can remember.........nope.... ;D  My oldest just brought home our 1st grandchild.
I'd say Mike's advice is spot on. Enjoy every minute. One thing....your kids will remember the good times you had with them more than they will ever remember what toys were bought. Time can't be replaced or retrieved. Kids learn by example, be the kind of person you want her to be. That includes enjoying yourself.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

NXLVL

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 10:16:38 PM »
you are a  proud father indeed, welcome to the club & congrats on the sugar booger! advice.... who needs advice, you got all you need! thnx for sharing her with us!!!

i do have one thing, my daughter is now three and she was swimming @ 2 1/2 yrs. If your baby allows...have her around all bodies of water as much as possible!! lakes, rivers, oceans, and of course bathtubs.

Marcelo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 12:06:33 AM »
First of, congratulations on the new baby!!!

"If your baby allows...have her around all bodies of water as much as possible!! lakes, rivers, oceans, and of course bathtubs."

Very true, at our house there is no bathtubs, just showers and a pool...My boy is one and a half now but we had him taking showers with us since he was 3 weeks old, got in the pool for the first time when he was one month old and last summer I used a baby bjorn (one of those things you carry babies strapped to you belly) to take him on the board while knee paddling and he loved it.
 We went to brazil for christmas vacation and he went wild in the ocean (warm water) wanted to dive under every wave!

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 01:35:01 PM »
Congrats, Mikelefty and Stoneaxe said it well, you have just embarked on one of the most joyful adventures in life. I have two sons, 24 and 21, and I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed every single moment with them. They both love to surf and we have spent many wonderful hours together in the water starting when they were real little. My wife and I just returned from a ski/snowboard trip with our boys, and there is nothing better than being with your kids. Enjoy every second with your new, beautiful daughter, both she and you will be glad you did.

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 02:09:45 PM »
Congrats shaun.... this must be the most amazing time for you

Corran

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 08:01:11 PM »
Shawn,

Occasional dawn patrols... super early, before first light... home before 9 and ready to take on the day with the family... just don't let the fact that you are tired to the bone impact your time with your family... easier said than done.  But way, way worth it.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

caRRera

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 05:16:17 AM »
Mine is 21 months.

It takes a bit more of planification of your sessions, and more frequent dawn patrols, but my number of sessions/year continues to increase on a slow but continous pace.

And I can't wait to teach him take is first wave ... that can't be paid with money.

Congrats

boardshorts

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 09:00:53 AM »
Hey Exeter,
Congratulations! 
Also welcome to the girl club.
I echo all the above comments -especially those from my New England brothers.
A funny thing happened on vacation last summer.  My family got down to VA beach and I was so amped up for waves but the place was completely flat.  Nothing doing.  Instead, I spent a lot of time on the (flat) water with my kids and my nephews & nieces playing in the waves and introducing young & old to SUP.  I also got the chance to meet RicKR (surfpainter) -an all-around great guy.  When I look back on that week of catching zero waves I think it was the best "surf" & SUP week I ever had.  We bonded as a family and had a great time.  My point is that at some moment in your kids' lives (3 years? 7 years?) it's more fun to watch your kids have fun on a tiny beachbreak than for YOU to have fun on a ripping wave (this also applies to fishing).  Of course, you have to take care of yourself but when that selfless moment happens it is an awesome life-changer (at least was for me).

boardshorts

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 09:04:19 AM »
Catching waves with Samantha.

exetersup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 04:01:49 PM »
Mahalo to all of your replies. It's good to hear what other parents are doing with their kids. I can't wait to get her out there when she's older. As for now, I'm just gonna take it as it comes, surf when I can, cross train around the house, mtn bike, do crazy yard work and house maintenance, etc, etc... By the summer, we'll be able to cruise to the beach as a family, and make a day of it (think: cooler, umbrella, chairs, books, tent, sup, football, bocce ball, beer, etc, etc!)
Have a great winter and pray for warmer weather up here in NH soon!
Shawn

Nate Burgoyne

• Sunset Status
  • 100% Pure Stoke!
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 04:42:22 PM »
Congrats! I have 3 little girls myself. Babies naturally hold their breath when you pour water over their heads or dunk them in a pool. You're the dad, but I've been pouring water straight over my girls heads since they were babies. They don't mind and I think it helps them feel more comfortable with the water. Oh no, I feel a scolding coming on from the ladies on this forum.
Founder/Editor: Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
Author/Illustrator: The Stand Up Paddle Book
SUP Instructor: Rainbow Watersports Adventures
Web Design/Marketing: Integrity Online Marketing LLC

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 11:49:14 PM »
One more thing Shawn.  I bought an X Vest (weight vest) that I wear whenever I am doing yardwork, housework, going on a walk with the wife, etc.  It really helps me to get exercise when I otherwise would not be getting it... you might check that out.  Good luck!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard