Author Topic: Dave Kalama Paddling Article  (Read 22819 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Dave Kalama Paddling Article
« on: February 08, 2010, 10:34:33 PM »
I've been taking some paddling lessons from Dave. It's making a big difference, though it hasn't translated into speed yet, in fact if anything I'm a little slower because I'm still figuring this thing out. But what an efficiency difference. After a long paddle my arms and shoulders feel that warm buzz of an equalized workout, except the top of my left shoulder, which hurts like hell--but it's getting better. So I wrote a little article about it, and poached Randy's video on Dave's technique to illustrate the theory.

I THINK this is a pretty useful article. I'm working on a much longer one on downwind methods in general. As usual it's not my knowledge going into this, which is a damned good thing or I'd be setting you all back years. http://www.kenalu.com
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

caRRera

Re: Dave Kalama Paddling Article
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 06:28:49 AM »
I've already read it, and it's very interesting yet difficult to understand and put into practice.

It would be very interesting to watch a paddle simulator to analyze the steps in details, as there are for swimming technique.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 06:54:22 AM »
Good article Bill. I sent it out via the CCBC ning network to all our prospective paddlers.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

caRRera

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 10:30:26 AM »
I found the swimming simulator: http://www.swimsmooth.com/. Meet Mr.Smooth

Would be very instructional to have a SUP paddling technique application as this one.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:44:31 AM »
Wow a $1000 lesson.  Good thing I learn fast.

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 10:48:53 AM »
That tahitian stroke looks tough to master but I can see how it can be the most efficient.  The tahitians are kicking butt in paddling because of mastering these strokes with the faster cadence.  Ponobill, it looks like the faster stroke would use up more cardios than the slower hawaiian stroke.  Does it get you tired faster stroking so fast or is the energy expended less because you don't push so hard?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 07:28:36 PM »
Wow a $1000 lesson.  Good thing I learn fast.

It's more than one lesson, but still... You can learn by yourself and probably embed a few bad habits, or take a lesson from someone a little better than you, and maybe learn some good stuff, or you can go to the best of the best--someone that's proven himself in every way possible and who really understands everything he's doing. Literally, what every little muscle is doing.

For a guy with crapola shoulders like mine, it's really worth doing. You young dudes can take the thrashing.

As far as the cardio aspect goes, when I really concentrate and do it the way Dave says, it's almost effortless. It takes focus, but it's weird how much time your muscles get to relax. Just the little added tweak of breaking your lower wrist inward, relaxing the arm and shoulder but pushing up with the forearm and elbow to lift the paddle from the water while the upper arm guides it and turns the shaft--makes a big difference. Your paddle floats up. Your upper arm is almost in position to start a new stroke, and the movement to get the upper arm in position is DOWN and towards your head. Very odd, very effective. Very hard to describe.

More later.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 08:14:05 PM »
Great stuff Bill. I read your article and watched the video (again) just before I went for a surf paddle this morning.

First thing to stop was the Hawaiian flick down of the top hand laterally to clear the paddle from the water then I really tried to get that oval or elliptical pattern going - all the while trying to visualise the movements Dave was making. Not saying I got it or anything but it felt very different to my usual stroke and I did notice the relaxation phase of the stroke, also seemed very efficient. On my little 8'5 I found I had increased directional stability because the stroke was so short and so far forward.

Dave is an incredible teacher, in 5 or 10 minutes coaching beside me while I was doing a Maliko run he  made a huge difference to my stroke, got me to rotate my torso which gave me so much more reach. The $1000 seems cheap to me for something that could transform your stroke and potentially prevent shoulder injury and just transform the sport for you -  you blow $1000 on a new board which is forgotten in a year or two.

Also need to keep in mind that learning from Dave is a bit like Arnold Palmer correcting your golf swing, you aren't just getting coaching from any old golf pro (not that I know anything about golf!) - and on top of that he is a humble, super nice guy.

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 08:39:15 PM »
Tahitian's can paddle.

FAATI MOOREA 2009

venice mace

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 08:50:01 PM »
Great Article! Website is looking very cool!

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 09:09:51 PM »
Thanks Bill.. It's Dave Kalama that I try and copy the most.. Sometimes I get it right and it feels great and defiantly works but it puts me into the red within seconds.. Jeez that guy must be fit.

DJ 

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 01:57:18 PM »
Great write-up Bill.  Maybe you could ask Dave to watch my "Fastest Flat Water SUP" video and critique my stroke?  Although I've probably learned some horrible habits over the last 3 years.  And I probably can't afford his advice :)

I do know that my current stoke leaves me very tired after about an hour and 15 minutes... so I gotta change something for longer races.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 02:04:01 PM »
Forgot to mention... you can really see how he does not pull any farther beyond his heel.  The blade is out of the water before it passes his foot.  I try to do this, but when I watch my video, I can see that I am STILL pulling beyond my foot.  Gotta work on that.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 02:50:18 PM »

I do know that my current stoke leaves me very tired after about an hour and 15 minutes... so I gotta change something for longer races.

GD... looks to me in the video you are starting your stroke pretty far back.. the pontoons look like they are in your way... I was told by a very good coach (Jack) that you need to reach pretty far forward and release by your knee...    JMHO.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 02:50:51 PM »
If there is enough interest, We could ask Dave if he is interested in doing a video review  here and what he would charge for his time.  It would be beneficial to post the full process here, so we could all learn from it.  Rand also thought that it might be cool to arrange a clinic with Dave here on Maui, possibly before the channel crossing in April or in August for the big Naish Maliko bash.  Just ideas at this point.  What do you guys think?   

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal