Author Topic: Finally a solution to Sweepers vs Crawlers  (Read 9011 times)

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
Finally a solution to Sweepers vs Crawlers
« on: January 28, 2010, 06:43:56 AM »
Rule #1 - Respect the pecking order.
Rule #2 - Sit (or stand) inside or off to the side of the pack.  Don't compete with crawlers. Give them every wave they can catch.  Leftovers are fine.
This simple rule will eliminate most of the hostility towards SUP.
Rule#3 If you see someone violate these rules give them some gentle coaching.
Aloha,
Tom English
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 07:06:19 AM by Tom English »
Aloha,
Tom English

sideshore

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Finally a solution to Sweepers vs Crawlers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 07:09:31 AM »
As it relates to rule #1, I was always taught "ladies first" and as far as I'm concerned, she can have every wave! ::)

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 07:45:16 AM »
Hey Tom... is that dirt on your lens or stuff in the water....?

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 08:44:14 AM »
I was going to say the same thing.   :o

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 08:47:16 AM »
Rule #1 - Respect the pecking order.
Rule #2 - Sit (or stand) inside or off to the side of the pack.  Don't compete with crawlers. Give them every wave they can catch.  Leftovers are fine.
This simple rule will eliminate most of the hostility towards SUP.
Rule#3 If you see someone violate these rules give them some gentle coaching.
Aloha,
Tom English

Key word is " most "   hostility.   I abide constantly with what you suggest.  My recently deleted thread explained how even that wasn't enough.   

venice mace

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 11:33:39 AM »
look like good ideas, Tom.. except for sitting or standing inside the line-up.  that would put people in the way at a lot of breaks.

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 11:48:14 AM »
A couple of comments:
#1 This works most of the time.  If it doesn't work you would probably have more fun at another spot a short paddle away that has less crowded lower quality waves.
#2 My lens was clean, there was some sand and crap in the water stirred up by the last set wave.
Aloha,
Tom English

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 12:10:04 PM »
What about when just about all of the local toughies in the lineup know that the only reason it is legal to SUP at their secret spot (right below a five star hotel, in front of a park, with a 200 car parking lot, that has been photgraphed more times than J-Lo's a**) is because you did something about it?

Anonymous ;)
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 01:51:46 PM »
Just messing... I totally agree Tom... and I only go to the crowded spots when it is not crowded... and when my spot is not working... inevitably, the crowds arrive, however.... and it is as if the spot is "theirs" even when they are not "there." 

Oh well, it is all good.  I usually just smile and keep paddling...

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 02:03:57 PM »
Good one Tim.  I have surfed that spot,  off to the side where no people were and still caught ovehead grinding waves by myself.
Good work.
Aloha,
Tom English

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 03:23:45 PM »
I don't understand rule 1.  Maybe you could explain pecking order better. 

Rule 2 seems like for point surfing.  Beach breaks are all about finding your own space on sup. I don't mind giving up waves but when I am on the peak I feel it is mine.  I am not going to let up for a shoulder hopper who is 40 feet out on the shoulder.  I have no problems letting waves go by for guys inside me as I think that is sharing but guys out on the shoulder need to get to the peak area if they want some.

I totally agree with your 2 rule for a point. Makes sense.

How about a decision to not go out in a crowded lineup and find your own.  I prefer less people around me. the h bay discussion of being off limits seams silly. Who would want to go out with a hundred aggressive surfers and be stuffed all day? If only a few then we should fit in.

What happened to the rule of the    the deepest who can make it gets it.  I know surfers jockey for position, but this has been happening long before sup. So now I don't go around surfers to get better position or right of way position, as sup would dominate. I am going when I am in the spot and please don't drop in on me.

How about talking to the surfers near you when a set is coming to eliminate competition.  LIke I see a set coming. Which one you want, or I'll take the next one if you want this one. This does not work when a 100 surfers are on it, but works fine at beach breaks with a few around you.

Just be a nice person and share. A good sup surfer will still get more than most prone surfers without all the negative energy from others.

I have not surfed SD or SO CAL in years and have no desire to.  I know the lineups down there way back when and understand how aggressive the surfers are. The reason I would not be interested is because I don't want to fight with to many aggressive surfers and not enough waves.  So I might have a different view because I don't surf crowded spots. A crowd at my beach break may be 50 or so spread out around a mile. We still have an occasional problem and who does not.

Deb

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 04:15:54 PM »
Another tactic that seems to create friendly experiences is to bring some treats (preferably home-made) and share all around with everyone. How can someone be aggro with someone who's just offered brownies? This may sound funny, but making friends on land does help some out on the water too.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 07:25:34 PM »
Just what kind of brownies might you be handing out Deb???

I am totally going to do that at Creek this weekend... Ziplock baggie, stuck in wetsuit... paddling around giving out cookies.  I am going to do it and will try to get video... it should be hilarious.  My videographer is going through some legal issues in Louisiana right now... but I will try to make do.

Tim

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 07:50:42 PM »
Did someone say brownies?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Deb

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 07:19:20 AM »
 :D  :D  "Funny" brownies ......  we're dating our age here ....... Actually there's a couple of spots here on Maui where Saturdays you're sure to score some tasty baked treats and goodies - lots of folks bring things to share. Yummy! And our excuse is all the paddling exercise we get.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM