Author Topic: 2010 Stand Up World Tour begins - Sunset Beach Pro -5th-14th Feb  (Read 35269 times)

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2010 Stand Up World Tour begins - Sunset Beach Pro -5th-14th Feb
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2010, 12:57:26 PM »
Hey guys, I don't think it is fair to bash the shapers.  Those waves were gnarly and until you have surfed Sunset, you can't honestly comment on the boards.  I have surfed it at 3 to 4 foot Hawaiian size and got pounded so deep.  That wave has the most juice. 
On the cleaner waves the boards looked fine.  On the bumpier waves, they were bouncing a bit but I don't know if you can help that because you need the width to balance on and paddle into these bombs.  Board shapes will definitely progress each year as they have been but those PSH boards were killing it.  Blane shapes the boards for these big waves and they looked good to me.  Let's not be so harsh because when I watched the ASP sunset event this year in big Sunset, the guys boards were bouncing too.  Some of them got bucked off.  Not an easy wave.  Props to the riders and shapers forventuring into new territory and charging.  Aloha.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2010, 01:16:39 PM »
Hi Diesel,

Thanks for the comment.  I was happy to see Strand's post, because it reflects something that people are thinking and are talking about but may be hesitant to say here.  I did not read it as a bash in any way but just recoginizing how those videos might be percieved.  We all like stand up here, but still, it does look (at least to some) like those guys were wrestling to control their gear.  I read Strand's post as a comment on an area for potential improvement, not at all as an insult.

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2010, 01:28:13 PM »
True true admin.  I just did not want all the work by Blane to perfect his boards in big Hawaiian surf to be marginalized.  I think him and Parmenter seem to have done the most work in getting these big boards to handle big Hawaiian juice.  Of course, there is always room for improvement and I am sure that every year the boards will get so much better for thier respective purposes. 

It would be interesting to compare the different boards on video to see what shapes seem to work better and what did not work.  I am always interested in progressive designs.  That is what makes a new sport like this so exciting. 

This Waterman League circuit will probably do a lot to highlight good board shapes at certain types of waves and help to progress the sport.  I am interested to see the guys incorporate more footwork into thier surfing to achieve the highest wave total because from what HaleiwaBill posted on the rules of scoring, you can get only 75% of the score with progressive surfing.  The last 25%, you need to incorporate some traditional surfing as well.  That will keep it interesting.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2010, 01:44:03 PM »
Yup, it is great when events like this push the limits and all of the riders and shapers have to go back, look at the films, look at how their boards did, look at the other guys boards and evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of each.  That drives progress.  I bet all of these guys will have some very different gear on hand for next year, just in case the waves get big again. 

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2010, 01:54:16 PM »
Diesel,

I did not intend to bash anyone.  That is the inherent beauty and difficulty of SUP design IMHO... low rocker for paddling ability and wave catching, wider board and tail for the same reasons... but these same design elements inhibit down the line carving on a very steep wave... look at 1:45 to 2:00, there are two or three wipeouts there where the rocker did not allow the surfer to do what he wanted to do... could the wave have been caught on a board with less rocker and less tail area... I don't know.

One of the reasons that I love SUP is because of where we are in the design curve.  In just the eighteen months that I have been doing this, my rides have completely changed in rocker template, volume placement, number of fins, fin placement, etc.  In five years, we will look back at what was ridden in this contest and reflect on how much things have changed (or stayed the same).   Look at what was being ridden just two years ago compared to what was being ridden in the comp.  IMHO Mavericks presents a similar dilemna to SUP shape... huge drop tons of speed needed, but huge long wall to carve (at the proper tide and swell direction) ... just look at how that equipment has changed in the last three to five years.

Those same guys grinding it out with their planers, or playing on their cad machines and then rough sanding the night away, day after day are who will bring us the future of SUP's.

Bash the shapers?  I am not fit to wear their dust masks.  I just saw a few wipeouts and asked a question.

Let me also say, for the record... mad, crazy, ridiculous prop's to all of the competitors... way to sack it up and push it hard!

Dialogue on,

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2010, 04:00:13 PM »
No problem, Strand Leper.  I just wanted to stick up for Blane Chambers because he is a maverick in board shaping and a cool guy.  I hope he will always get the respect he deserves as the sport progresses and there is a lot more money to be made and invested.  Sometimes in surfing, the pioneers get forgotten.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2010, 06:31:26 PM »
Diesel-

I didn't intend to bash any shaper either...especially Blane Chambers.  BC is someone I really respect.  My point is that sup board designs still have a ways to go in surfing those crazy big North shore waves and similar ocean conditions around the world.  There are so many variables to consider for shapers.

I really enjoy stand up paddle surfing and the freedom of this forum.
(PEACE)

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2010, 06:40:59 PM »
Young Guns
Aloha,
Tom English

Dub_G

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2010, 10:26:50 PM »
There are definately SUP boards that are performing excellent in large Hawaiian waves now. Sure, there's always room for improvement, especially with a new pursuit like this. Nonetheless, it may be a stretch to draw conclusions about the state of the art regarding SUP design based on hearsay or a wipeout video.

Here's a vid of Gerry Lopez I shot at Sunset one day after he was done commentating at the Volcom Pipe Pro for that day. The guy he shared that wave with told him to Go!

Aloha

Gerry Lopez SUP surfing Sunset
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:09:49 PM by Dub_G »

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2010, 09:21:34 AM »

Good discussion but I still see a difference in perfomance lay down surfing and performance stand up paddle surfing.  Lay down seems to get more verticle and make those big criticle Sunset sections easier.  Also rides and stays in the tube better.  This to me is common sense since the lay down boards are smaller. I don't think this bad...just different.

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Epic conditions at Sunset Beach HI for the world Tour's first event.  Congratulations to Slater Trout for his victory.

Aloha,
Tom English
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 12:47:22 PM by Tom English »
Aloha,
Tom English

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2010, 12:18:41 PM »
Nice Video Tom.  You have some of the best SUP footage out there between this vid and the ones with Chuck Glynn and those guys.  If you have more footage maybe you can post up some more vids.  From your vid, Bonga seemed to be surfing the best with the most vertical surfing and manuevers while keeping his board under control.  Some of the other guys did look a bit bouncy on thier boards.  The small guys can't help it because they are so light.  Thanks again.

RobDog

• Waikiki Status
  • RobDog
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2010, 10:14:11 PM »
Does anyone know what Bonga was riding? Dimensions, rocker ets. I was also really impressed with the way he handled it.

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2010, 12:54:54 PM »
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63252

Okay guys, check out these videos on Seabreeze.com.au of the sunset contest.  They are really good and long so you can really analyze the surfing.  The SUP surfing was actually real good when you watch it on these videos.  I think Tom English shot the videos but I am not sure.  Thanks to whoever shot the footage.  Good stuff.

Also, I saw good footage of the contest on Ocean Paddler on ch 16 on Oahu last night for those that can watch that channel.

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2010, 01:58:20 PM »
Mistake, they were filmed by Waterman League and not Tom English.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM
foiled again