Author Topic: Kialoa Pipes - Review and Photos  (Read 6048 times)

Casso

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Kialoa Pipes - Review and Photos
« on: January 27, 2010, 04:25:54 PM »
Kialoa Pipes

Warriewood
24 January 2010

I took delivery of my new Kialoa Pipes last night and had to get it wet at the first possible opportunity. That was this morning for the early. I didn't even get a chance to tape up the blade.

One word: Smooth.

This little paddle is just so smooth through the water. The new blade design is like cutting soft butter with a hot knife yet the tiny surface area has still got enough power to get you into those late take offs.

I went out at Warriewood with a very light offshore blowing and head high right handers off the point. There were only a few guys out to start with but the crowd soon grew to almost silly numbers by the end of the session.

This paddle is five inches overhead for me - that's my standard length for a surfing paddle. Dave Chun has change the standard Kialoa design of the back of the blade a bit - it no longer has a distinct bevelled edge, instead a more subtle domed profile. The face of the blade is slightly different too - still basically flat with no dihedral but he's put in a very slight hook on the bottom edge.

From the first couple of strokes I knew I was going to like this paddle. It doesn't feel that dissimilar to my Kialoa Methane in terms of power but you can notice the new contours of the blade working differently through the water. No sign of cavitation or wobble at all, even when you really step on the gas and push it hard. Entering, moving through and exiting the water feels really nice and very effortless. I guess it's the limited blade width (7.25") creating less resistance when you don't need it. There were a few hard waves to get into and the Pipes didn't disappoint - letting me get on a few which I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to.

Once on a wave, the Kialoa Pipes excels. It is so agile and you can throw it around really quickly. It's still got plenty of surface area to help turn the board when you need to but it's small and light enough (560 grams) to not be a hindrance when you're surfing. It almost feels like an extension of your arm.

The simple T handle works great. It's very comfortable, creates good blade control and is easy to tell if you have got it in your hand the wrong way around. The thin, oval shaped shaft is also very nice to grip.

One of the really great things about this paddle is that guys will be easily able to slot it into their paddle quiver. The small sized blade and floral pattern makes it easy to convince the missus that you bought the paddle just for them. A surf paddle for you and a flatwater paddle for the wife (or kids)! With luck on your side, the length should just about be perfect for both of you in those circumstances.

The workmanship and materials used in the Pipes live up Kialoa’s great standard. It looks and feels like a quality piece of equipment. The tissue paper decal embedded in the resin is a great addition.

Highs:
- Light weight.
- Extremely smooth through the water.
- Quality construction.
- Ideal 'family' paddle.

Lows:
- Doesn't come with a cover.
- Kialoa sticker on shaft peels off easily.

New floral decal under the resin (makes for a great birthday present for the wife):

New softer, domed back:

Slight hook on the bottom edge:

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard