Author Topic: WOOHOOO! My First Post! Question on PSH 9-3 Ripper or similar?  (Read 4008 times)

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
WOOHOOO! My First Post! Question on PSH 9-3 Ripper or similar?
« on: January 12, 2010, 09:10:29 PM »
Hey to all.  I've been browsing standupzone for about a year now...not sure why I didn't sign up earlier, maybe I didn't feel quite worthy being an Arizona Desert Boy.  I've lived short time on Oahu and always enjoyed running up to California to get some surfing in.  I moved to Southern California about a year and half ago and I usually get out to surf or SUP about 2 times a week.  Ever since I bought my first SUP, I prefer it over my longboard and shortboard.  I currently have the C4 Waterman 10-6 classic.  It's been great and a lot of fun, but I need something completely different. 
I am 5 foot 9 inches and 170 pounds.  I am looking for a board that will still cruise somewhat okay without too much drag but I want something that is quick to turn and something I could have a lot of fun on.  It seems that the PSH 9-3 Ripper would be a great fit for me?  What are your guys' opinions on this?  Are there any other boards or sizes that you think I should look into or keep in mind.  I appreciate any comments and look up to you guys in this forum as I have read lots of great advice.  THANKS!!!
P.S.  Sorry for the long introduction, just wanted to introduce myself.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: WOOHOOO! My First Post! Question on PSH 9-3 Ripper or similar?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 10:17:58 PM »
I have the 9'3 ripper. I'm a newby at sup. It is my first board and I like it. I know a lot of people frown when I tell them the size, but is seams everyone starts long and ends up selling and buying another shorter board. I may have a harder time learning but I will not be needing a shorter board any time too soon. The first time I took it out it I just surfed it with no paddle. I liked the way it road. It's pretty manuverable too! I have to work on my stroke to keep from zig zaging so much but hey I'm happy with it so far. It doesn't seem to glide like my friends' 11'6 and I don't expect it to. At 165lbs. and 51yrs. I still think I made the right choice. Hope that helps a little. Aloha

Poipu

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 05:37:20 AM »
I had the 9'3 Ripper too.  IMO opinion it was only average and  there are better out there.  I read on the seabreeze site that Blain is changing his rocker on all of his boards to a more surfboard rocker like other shapers have been doing and that might fix the problem I have with this board.  It will turn but not as easy as boards like the C4 SV 9'3.  That is what I an on now and I would go for that over the PS Hawaii.  The board I had really chipped easily also.  I do not know if that is normal for them.  My C4 never chips and maybe the new PS hawaii boards from boardworx will be different.

Deb

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 07:23:02 AM »
It's ok to progress through several sup's (most of us won't admit how many boards we've bought/sold/ or have stored in the garage). For future - don't overlook possibly getting a custom by a local shaper. I have an 8'6" and 9'0" that I love. I'm 5'4" and 130 lbs. To overcome the zig-zag with the shorter boards, I learned to apply pressure on the rails with my feet as I paddled to off-set the paddle stroke - it's automatic now. Sup boards are as much fun as going into an ice cream shop and tasting samples!

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 07:59:49 AM »
Welcome to the Zone, Boludo; never feel unworthy about anything, just jump with both feet and to hell with the consequenses... ;D

That C4 is a great all around board; hang on it for family, friends, and the really bumpy onshore days (ie: SoCal afternoons) when a wider more stable board keeps you on your feet longer.

By going shorter and more progressive you will compromise cruising capabilities. My experience with PSH is they intentionally keep the middle of boards a little flat to reduce magnitude of that compromise. To really feel their boards work, you have to get back on the tail as the board drops into wave. Some boards with more, fuller rocker can be surfed from the middle (though not with much performance). In my experience a PSH will rail a little more than others when surfed from the middle (But, I sure haven't surfed 'em all). However, once you get to the tail (where you should be anyway), they really open up nicely! Rumor is PSH is making changes in lineup for 2010 (perhaps revealed at the Surf-Expo this week?). As Poipu stated, I also heard that his rocker has changed a bit over time to a more full style. I think this is good for the smaller shapes where surfers are looking for wave performance over paddle performance, but it may be at the expense to the generalists who want one board to do it all, but I believe that's what their AA line is for.

I also chased the shorter SUP's soon after starting but lately I'm going in the opposite direction. My latest addition is the 12' PSH Gun/Ripper. I'm using it pretty much 100% of the time to get it dialed. I like to paddle from break to break and also enjoy the stretches in between, while retaining ability to surf the breaks well. So far, the 12' PSH does the job surprisingly well. Getting back on the tail (wayyy back there) the board really opens up (for a 12' monster).

Not sure where you want to take SUP, but I'm finding that like prone boards, as your ability increases, so does the quiver. Give the Ripper a try; you won't likely want to cruise on it far, but it'll surf way more progressive than the C4.

Also as Dep stated, don't overlook the local shapers. I was reluctant to go with locals when starting SUP because I was seeing a lot of just higher volume prone boards. Shapers without significant SUP riding experience were reacting to market, but IMO a good SUP is different than a prone board with just more volume. SUP has been around long enough that some shapers now understand the subtle differences and can make the board you're looking for.

Enjoy!

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 08:45:27 AM »
Thanks 808sup, Poipu, Deb, and JC50 for your comments.  I'm soaking all this in right now.  I do plan on keeping my C4 for certain days or days I plan on cruising from spot to spot.  I find myself doing a little less and less cruising and really enjoy the surfing part of it.  Of course it's still nice paddling to a few different spots when out.  It's a tough decision whether I go a little shorter and wider or a little longer but not too narrow.  It's hard when I read about all these boards, I'm just so excited they all seem to be what I am looking for.  I even saw that starboard pocket rocket and that thing looked like a blast.  I do have pretty good balance but at the same time I don't want to be fighting it all the time and missing out of the fun factor of having a sup.  I was planning on buying a new sup today but I think I'm going to hold off and keep researching until something hits me.  As always, anymore advice for a 170 pounder in mainly 2-5' so cal surf, would be appreciated.  The 9-3 subvector seems to be a killer board but I think I need to pack on more pounds for that board to work for me.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 10:51:29 AM »
I've had a 9-3 ripper for a few months, came off a 10-6 C4 also.  I mainly just surf in decent waves, and it was an awesome transition, I was kicking myself for not having bought a smaller board sooner.  Again my focus is performance surfing only.  I would not say flat paddling is it's strong suit, however, I did an 8mile up/down winder on a river and it was keeping up with larger boards ok, but there is no way it would be as fast as the 10-6 in flat.  It will definitely be harder to stay balanced on in chop, but I've been able to go out on days with 20mph on shore/side shore winds and manage to still have fun in the waves, but only just.  I actually find it easier to catch faster beach break waves on this board than the 10-6.  What you give up is flat water efficency and stability for steep drops, much faster turning/carving, and a better fit on tight faces (less pearling when staying forward and tight inside).  A lot comes down to the waves you ride, I'm on large fast beach break here.  Great board for the money.  If it was the same price as others I'd probably be less likely to pick it over other options.  I'm 165lbs.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:55:58 AM by sharksupper »

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 12:28:59 PM »
Boludo,  If you are in cali you should check out Dave Daum's board at King Paddlesports or something like that.  He makes some sweet looking customs for California waves.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 03:30:19 PM »
Bolundo,

Check out the classifieds... a cheap way to try new (to you) boards... use it, figure out what you like... sell it... I usually lose about ten to fifteen percent when I resell... but then again, I am not that patient and want to move on.

There is a Dave Daum in the classifieds right now... and, of course, my Ron House 9'1".  Either of those would be a step in the right direction... for not too much money.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 03:38:35 PM »
Thanks again guys.  I have seen the Daum boards and he is real close to me in encinitas.  I've never really heard many reviews so I've always wondered about them.
Tim, tell me about your 9'1" Ron House.  Is this only a quad set up.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 03:40:56 PM »
I'm NOT an expert on PSH (not many here in this neck of the woods NJ even though the EC distr. is up the road)
Since you already have a contact for C4 I'd look at at the Sub-Vector 9'3" It is a REALLY nice board

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.om

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 03:46:43 PM »
Jim,
I took a 2 minute spin on a sub vector in the bay area and could not believe how stable it was.  Do you think at 170lbs, I'm too small for that board?

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 08:42:56 PM »
In doing a bit of research, it seems that the 9-6 sub vector would be a better fit for me than the 9-3 sub vector because the 9-6 doesn't have as thick of rails.  Might be better for my weight.  I've heard reviews on the 9-3 SV but not much on the 9-6 SV.  Anyone have experience with this one?

SUPirate

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 11:45:37 PM »
Although they are both SV's they are different
The 9-3 is more stable, paddles better and is a more all around board
The 9-6 has more nose rocker and doesnt glide as well, pushes more water
the 9-6 surfs better is Med size waves and not too good in smaller waves
I think the 9-3 has more down the line speed.  I thought I would like more nose rocker but after trying the 9-6 I am happy with the 9-3 shape :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal