Author Topic: How do you support your SUP lifestyle? (what's you're other job?)  (Read 21333 times)

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Just curious - what do you guys do to support yourself and your families?  I know we are all trying to figure out how to work less and SUP more, so what does the work portion consist of?
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

TiltPilot

• Malibu Status
  • Go get wet..
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How do you support your SUP lifestyle? (what's you're other job?)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 04:58:57 AM »
Pilot in the Marine Corps.

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 06:10:01 AM »

Chef for catering company. Hours in the kitchen makes being out on the water paddling even more special..  The two lives I live..

Supports this addiction

8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

dropinh2o

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 06:18:07 AM »
i work as a Locomotive Engineer for Canadian Pacific Railway, driving freight trains all over the country. you see and experience some pretty crazy things on the railway. 16 yrs down and 16 yrs more to go for retirement and full time SUP'ing. 

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 06:21:09 AM »
haven't updated it in a while but ....

http://ittakesallkinds.org/

(and in three weeks don't forget to go out and buy the issue of rolling stone with john mayer on the cover.  i read somewhere on this site that print is dead ... but let's not give up without a fight, or else i might have to get a real job.  ooof!)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 06:52:25 AM »
I have a sales agency (Windward Sales Group) with home offices in Delray Beach, FL and Bequia, St.Vincent  and my wife and I represent different brands in Florida, the Caribbean and Latin America.   I have surfboards on 5 different islands so when I am making sales calls I can always catch some surf, now I need to get some SUPs scattered around my sales territory.

I have meetings with two SUP companies at Surf Expo and I hope to be representing them in the Caribbean soon.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 07:05:54 AM »
 Retired from Southern Bell, Bellsouth, at&t (all the same company due to mergers). Now Florida Customer Account Rep for Windsurfdeal/Nah Skwell Stand-Ups and surf, windsurf and sup as much as possible... Pretty much, enjoying life with wife, Deb...  Later,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 07:24:53 AM »
self employed so I don't have to ask permission to surf!   But when I am busy I have to work before surfing so that I can enjoy surfing when I am not overdoing it.

uglysupper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 08:36:20 AM »
I'm the editor of WindSurfing magazine when I'm not SUPing (I'm sure there's a ton of people in on the windsurfing forum that would have a field day with that one... yikes.) I'll happily answer any questions about sailing SUPs to the best of knowledge. (I know there's a sub-forum for that, I need to remind myself to check it more.)

Erik, I've read some of your stuff before - I really like your writing! I remember the Jason Segel piece in particular; I'm looking forward to reading more of your stuff on the website. Oh... I just saw you interviewed Chuck Palahniuk. This has seriously made my morning. Let's hope for you (and me) that print continues to live and prosper :)  PS - e-mail sent.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 09:08:51 AM »
Let's hope for you (and me) that print continues to live and prosper :)

OT, but "print" is not equal to writing, writers, editors, magazines, newspapers (except for maybe the papers part).  "Writing" has been changing since the cave walls to quills.  Opportunity knocks (but not always this loudly)  :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:11:13 AM by Admin »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 09:12:49 AM »
30 years as a process piping designer... 20 of those as a CAD guru...civil/environmental....mostly water and wastewater treatment plants.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 09:17:03 AM »
Retired ad guy, or as I used to explain, I lie about people's products for money.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

uglysupper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 09:22:21 AM »

OT, but "print" is not equal to writing, writers, editors, magazines, newspapers (except for maybe the papers part).  "Writing" has been changing since the cave walls to quills.  Opportunity knocks (but not always this loudly)  :)

Fully agreed, amigo. The opportunities in our era abound, but there's certainly new challenges, as well. When I think about what the written word meant in media ten years ago compared to what it means now... suffice it to say it's mind-blowing. The next ten years might be even more so.

FWIW, I don't think magazines will die. But they will evolve (well, they already HAVE evolved, and will continue to do so even more) to compliment digital/streaming media rather than compete with it. This, of course, is a long conversation probably best for another venue :)

I think writing (as a wholly separate concept from print or media) has evolved and improved dramatically over the last ten years.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:27:48 AM by uglysupper »

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 09:24:48 AM »

I'm all for a resurgance in the oral tradition (no snickering, not that oral).  Growing up in an Irish immigrant community, poetry, song, story telling, were a part of all get-togethers.  Kind of miss that, but in its absence....

markthomas

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 11:08:33 AM »
Fire Captain...Ventura County Fire Dept...20 years on the job...hopefully eight more before retirement.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal