Author Topic: Paddle-Power and Wind-Power in Same Outing?  (Read 4631 times)

ChuckanutPaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Paddle-Power and Wind-Power in Same Outing?
« on: January 03, 2010, 05:53:28 PM »
I'm just getting started with Stand Up, never surfed, and my only windsurfing was a dozen rental sessions on a gigantic beginner board that I learned to putter around on years ago.

But now that I've started SUP riding on flatwater, I can see the possibilities for adding wind-power to the mix sometimes. I've been having this fantasy about some magical set-up where I could head out under sail (or kite?) in light winds on the bay, drop the sail when I get to the mouth of the river, pull my break-down paddle out of my backpack, stow the sail somehow, paddle up the river and back, break out the sail and sail home.

Can you think of any sort of wind power hardware that could be used in this way?

Thanks,
Dale

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle-Power and Wind-Power in Same Outing?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 11:33:54 PM »
A common fantasy. The easiest way to do it is with a kite. Even just a trainer kite would be plenty, and you can store all the stuff in a backpack. But the truth is that most folks wind up paddling when they go to paddle, and sailing or kiting when they want to do that. .
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 01:31:51 PM »
Hi Dale,

Welcome to the forum.  I planned on trying SUP sailing as well.  I still have an old sail rig, but I don’t have a mast track in my SUP.  The sailing up a river, unrig paddle thing sounds cool.  Let us know if you give it a go.  You may want to check http://mauisurfreport.blogspot.com/   they have a lot of good information on SUP sailing.  I haven’t been sailing or surfing much myself since SUP came along, but I am definitely planning on doing more of both in 2010. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 02:07:46 PM »
There's the beginning of an article on Ponohouse, my old blog. Somehow I never got around to finishing it. Some of the info is out of date, for instance, you can get mast tracks on a lot of SUP boards--especially Naish and Starboard. When I started doing SUP sailing it was pretty much a custom deal. http://www.ponohouse.com/ponoblog/2007/02/25/standup-longboard-sailing-and-surfing-101/
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ChuckanutPaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 04:32:18 PM »
Thanks for your responses PonoBill and Chan. I bookmarked the ponoblog so I can re-read it later: the information was good. And Chan, I enjoyed the mauisurfreport too - cool pics.

Andy Holmes at Bellingham Kiteboarding posted a note last month about a bay-downwinder in which he used a trainer kite for part of the way. I'll have to find out more. Another person suggested I look into old-time windsurf rigs that had no battens in them, thinking that it might be easy to stow. But I wonder, is it possible that the mast and boom could somehow lay down on your board and be tidy enough that you could paddle?

You may be right PonoBill - just pick one activity or the other at a time. I'll keep my eyes open for solutions though...

Thanks,
Dale

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 06:48:36 PM »
A 2 line Foil kite with short lines and a 3 piece breakdown paddle would be the ticket.  The Slingshot B3 for example would be perfect with 10 meter lines.  This setup would be easy to deal with and pack up while on the water. However getting a clean launch with a foil kite from the water will always be the biggest problem without a reel bar or a piece of land to get it up in the air without water logging it.  Otherwise you need an inflatable with is a PITA also.
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

JeffBach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 06:55:05 AM »
At the recently concluded Canoecopia, I talked to the owner of Wind Paddle.  He has some wind gear that I think fits exactly what you are looking for.

http://www.windpaddle.com/

Seemed like a great guy.  I think he does all his own work.  In Hood River I think.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 12:28:32 PM »
Pretty slick. Nice and simple

lee

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 02:51:37 PM »
How about a flying squirrel suit with little wings between the legs and in the armpits...LIke the ones being made for the Gorge Downwinder series..LOL
Livin the dream @LEE's SUP

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal