Author Topic: catching a wave  (Read 8548 times)

HarkinBanks

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: catching a wave
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 08:19:59 AM »
Two things I've found: 1. if you can go front side (if your left foot is foward then going right) it's easier to be in your surf stance earlier. - but contrary to that advice I was having similar difficulties and the solution was to wait until I was well on the wave to switch to surf stance - that helped me go backside much better. (sorry if that advice conflicts a little - might depend on how you feel) 2. Use a shorter paddle! Have not seen anyone mention this but I realize when I surf a shorter paddle helps me get more "revolutions" and I don't pull myself off ballance as easily. Good luck and remember the longer it takes you the more your gona love it when you finally start getting the right feeling on every wave ;-)

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
Re: catching a wave
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 01:26:25 PM »
One thing that will help a great deal is to position yourself in the line up such that the board is heading in the direction you want it go just as you catch the wave.  I do this by starting my paddle-in strokes with the board just about parallel to the swell.  As I paddle on my right side, I use just enough "sweep" in my stroke to get the board turning a bit to the left, so that I'm angling slightly to the right just as I catch the wave.  I remain in the paddling stance until just a stroke or two before catching the wave.  The switch to surf stance is a fluid move, with the left foot moving forward as I turn my body slightly to the right, then sliding my right foot back a bit to get into a stable position.  Switching to this surf stance does a lot to help prevent you from falling off the back of the board as you catch the wave.  Don't be afraid to bend your knees and get a little lower.  The classic "stink bug stance" works because it is low and stable.  Also, don't try to power yourself into the wave with a big, deep stroke.  Often this will pull you off balance, and can literally pull you off the front of the board.  Think about rapid strokes with moderate depth for the paddle blade.  Note that all this advice is based on a regular foot surfer riding a right-hand wave.  Also, you may want to hunt around this site for some videos that show the take-off portion of the wave, and look at how others position themselves in the line up before stroking for a wave, paying particular attention to their footwork as they stroke in and make the drop.  As Bill and others have suggested, work on the stand up take off, and just keep practicing.  After a few sessions, you'll get it dialed in.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal