Author Topic: Distance/flatwater paddle length  (Read 5447 times)

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Distance/flatwater paddle length
« on: December 14, 2009, 11:28:38 AM »
I am 5'11" (71") and using an 81" otter tail paddle for surfing.  Since it is my only paddle I have used it a few times for flatwater/downwind paddling with the Vortice XP I recently acquired.  But I get the sense that the paddle is too short (and perhaps significantly lacking in surface area) for distance paddling.  So I'm thinking of getting a paddle specific for distance and downwind paddling.

If I do the "arm up" measurement thing, it is 85" from the ground to the top of my palm.  But an 85" paddle sounds ridiculously long for my height and I do not want to risk additional shoulder injury by using too long of a paddle.  I'm thinking 83" would be a more appropriate paddle length, but wanted to see if anyone had any information to share on this.

Also, do people recommend getting a larger surface area blade for distance paddling than for surfing?  I'm very happy with my smaller area blade for surfing but I sense it is not appropriate for distance paddling.

Your thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Weinstein23

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Distance/flatwater paddle length
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 12:18:15 PM »
Get the paddle longer than you think you need. Slighlty cut off a little bit each time you go out until you get the most comfortable length. Just duct tape on the handle during the process.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 06:22:22 AM »
I am 72" and use a 83" paddle primarily in the surf zone.  I let a friend use one of my longer paddles and that is what he is ordering.  In shallow water you might have a problem but the longer paddle has the blade beneath the board so the shaft can be closer to the board.

I also use bigger blades.  Presently 9.5 but I am making a new one 10.5 inches. thanks to DK for dimensions of his paddles.  It sure looks big.  I will probably start with an 85" paddle to test it out.

Using a bigger blade has got to make bigger muscles.  Very useful for short strokes with bursts of speed. Many here do prefer going smaller in blade and length.  It may be right for them and their style of paddling.

I also like a little more beef in my paddle.  I have the cf paddles and their use is primarily as loaners. The wood just feels better to me and I like the weight as it can also work as a balance beam. Oh another + for bigger muscles.

You gotta find what works for you.  I don't like to follow trends.  Making my own paddles helps keep the costs down but my first one cost over a grand.  Now I bought enough spruce for 6 shafts $100 and I still have plenty of the pretty wood for the blades.  So now it costs around 30 to $40 to build a custom paddle and that is very affordable. I don't charge me for my labor.  But if I were to sell them for say $250 I doubt if I would make minimum wage with my current process.  This does allow me to test different designs that would be very expensive for someone to buy.  Not a bad deal and it keeps me from getting bored.

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 06:53:53 AM »
I'm 5'7" (67") and my Quickblade Elite is 82" for my downwind paddle, my surf paddle is 77".  Brought the QB by accident the other day and had to use it in the surf.. waaayy too long.  But have to have the length for the very thick F16 and the forward reaching paddling style for downwind...  Good advice to go longer than you think, then cut down. I also prefer the slightly narrower blade but I'm pretty small.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 01:12:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Get the paddle longer than you think you need. Slighlty cut off a little bit each time you go out until you get the most comfortable length. Just duct tape on the handle during the process.

I had a question on this though - how do you duct tape the handle on so that it doesn't come off in the middle of your run?

starbolt

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 03:07:13 PM »
I think the "best" paddle length really depends on your personal stroke, comfort, and the thickness of your board. Same goes with the blade size. Some folks go for high cadence and like the smaller blades, etc. Trial and error.

I'm 5'7, surf with a 71" and downwind with a 79". Both Quickblades.

Just swap paddles with the other guys and see what you like before buying though. I've found there's a big difference in feel, not only between the different makes (Kialoas, Quickblades, Werners, etc.), but also within the models too.

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 04:21:32 PM »
Im 72 and use an 85.5....so right in the ballpark with the others.  I could pretty much copy paste what 1tube said because that is what I have come to from OC1 and SUP.  I am using the actual paddle Jimmy Terrel was going to mail to David K...quickblade elite with the stiff prepreg shaft, ultralight handle and the 10inch blade.  I have used a lot of paddles and this is my favorite... really smooth....when you go to a long paddle it will initially feel really heavy...but after a couple weeks you should adapt to it....be sure to keep the elbow of the top hand down and work on your external rotators!

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 06:48:28 PM »
Again, thanks everyone for the replies.

Also, is the general consensus to use a paddle edge guard or not for distance/downwind paddling?  I could see how having an edge guard would interfere with the catch of the stroke, but not having an edge guard may result in additional damage to the board.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 07:25:27 PM »
I'm using a Quickblade Elite at 86" for downwind, I'm 6'2". And about 80-82" for surfing.
To tape the handle get some aluminum tape. Two wraps and you're in biz. Handy stuff--best tape for temporarily fixing a leaking ding.

You really do have to play with a paddle and take some time to get a feel for it. the larger blades, especially flat ones like the Quickblade, will flutter some when you first start using them. Keep at it and your body will eliminate the flutter.

I am tending towards smaller blades to pick up my cadence. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 07:38:17 PM »
At 6'-4" I'm at 85' for downwind/flatwater and 82" for surf. I like a bigger blade for surf because I often will be using it to check my balance..especially punching whitewater after the wave has passes or in chop...also think its a big guy thing...bigger blade gets me moving quicker to get on a wave. I like the smaller blade for downwind with a higher cadence. All very personal though...definite best bet is to try demoing if you can.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal