Author Topic: Taking a stand  (Read 31871 times)

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Taking a stand
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2009, 02:45:17 AM »
While it pains me a bit to see Kanaha on the list (one of my favorite SUP sessions ever was in the area that is to be off limits to beginners, and I still consider myself a beginner) I still think this is a positive step. I don't think this sets a precedent for the future and allows us to be pushed off other breaks...quite the opposite...it strengthens the argument that we have already sacrificed for the good of others and deserve the right to be at other spots.

I think its sets the precedent for a very slippery slope.

Corran

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 06:55:40 AM »
This will all blow over in a few years... ::) In the meantime be thankful we don't have "pro's" around here telling us where and when we can ride... Oh wait a minute we do, only they sure aren't "pros".... ;D

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2009, 08:36:38 AM »
This will all blow over in a few years... ::) In the meantime be thankful we don't have "pro's" around here telling us where and when we can ride... Oh wait a minute we do, only they sure aren't "pros".... ;D
But isn't it the pros that have the moral authority, you know like Tiger?  ;D
Come on, you knew somebody was going to say it.  :D
It takes a quiver to do that.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
But isn't it the pros that have the moral authority, you know like Tiger?  ;D
Come on, you knew somebody was going to say it.  :D

That's so lame.  If you disagree with the message that's one thing, but the personal attack is disrespectful and uncool.  Noone who knows anything about these guys would make that comment.  On Maui, they have the surf and SUP communities complete respect and THEY deserve it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 11:42:19 AM by Admin »

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2009, 01:54:55 PM »
Whatever, I guess I know nothing and you are right. Let's just say no sups on Maui period unless you are sponsored or famous... Give me a break!  ::) I know all about the surf industry and how it works Chan. Not to worry because there are plenty other spots /Islands where anyone can ride whatever they want without someone  complaining about it.  Not a personal attack either just an opinion...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 02:06:45 PM by Tree »

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2009, 03:56:40 PM »
I was a "pro" kayaker for two decades - 3 world championship medals, Olympics, yadda yadda yadda... one thing I abhorred when I was a pro was sitting in a lineup with other pros who somehow felt they had some kind of a special access right, or  special privileges because of who and what they were. Whether that was cutting in line, getting more rides or any other kind of special treatment. It drove me nuts. If anything, I took the stand that BECAUSE we're the pro's we should be GIVING UP more than our fair share, letting others get more, giving up and coming (or rank beginners) the benefit of the doubt when there was a conflict (potential drop in equivalent).

Now, if a beginner or intermediate was somewhere where they should not be - say a very dangerous section of whitewater with deadly falls etc, I'd try to talk them out of being there and using some judgement, but in the end its their call, not mine. Also as a one time pro snowboarder, my attitude extended into that realm too - give the newbies and up and comings a break, a helping hand and a push. Ok,sure we need to educate idiots, or scold inconsiderate bullies, but other than this we should extend an open hand to those who are there to enjoy the water with us regardless of their skill (in this activity - you know that "fat, bald, kook on that longboard might just be the surgeon you're wife is going to need to see in 6 months when she gets something, or the mechanic who finally fixes that thing in your car cos you're a ripping surfer but a crappy mechanic, or the computer geek that finally figures out how to protect you from viruses that have been plaguing you, but can't surf to save his life even if he loves it - just cos they are a beginner or so in the surf does not mean they have not paid their dues in some other realm where you suck and are a kook).

But at a spot where beginners and pros can co-exist (like many many breaks) I was (and still am) of the decided opinion that it was US, THE PRO'S that should give way. This "I've earned it" attitude is bull in my humble opinion.

I can just imagine Tiger Woods acting up on the golf course the way some surfing pro's and wanna be pro's act in the lineup - he'd be an international laughing stock.

Corran
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 04:46:24 PM by corran »

Here2Stay

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2009, 04:19:53 PM »
I agree with coran. These guys get it. They give up there waves they could use whenever. They are cool to all guys in the lineup and they dont have to be.  More guys need to step up like this other places. 

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2009, 07:09:06 PM »
Thanks guys, you know what I meant, it definately was not a personal attack of any means, just a point of opinion, and nothing else.  Sorry Chan if you took offence, that wasn't the point, it was just a bit of maybe lame humor to make a different point.
It's just that Tiger is so ripe right now, sad, but true.
Humor, everything has it's elements of humor, sorry, but I always try to look for any humor in it, if there is any there.  :)
I suffer from a Don Rickles complex.  :-\

Mauiguy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2009, 07:40:52 PM »
If you've ever surfed with Dave K, you would know he's one of the most gracious and generous guys in the lineup.   He's full of smiles and aloha.   It's funny how the bullshit stops whenever he's out.  As if by magic, everyone is doing everything right.  Tempers are kept in check.  You don't hear any yelling, there's no fights.  Nobody wants to look like an a-hole in front of Dave - not even the certified a-holes.

We need more pros like him.

Aloha,

// Gary

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2009, 07:55:38 PM »
I believe it, from what I've read/heard.

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2009, 08:26:22 PM »
E Kala mai Chan I did not want to upset anyone or show disrespect. The world could use more Dave Kalamas in lineups everywhere. Good luck to all with this next Big swell you guys are getting. I hope some of our zoners get to push the limits of what can be done in big surf on a sup.

venice mace

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2009, 08:55:05 PM »
I'm surprised how many people who are not from Maui or don't live there are chirping about this.  This is a Maui issue, not a global SUP rights issue.  I've been surfing the North Shore for 25 years but I'm not from there nor have I lived there for any extended amount of time.  When there was self regulation needed at Pipe and DaHui and later Wolfpak stepped up and provided it, mainly for the sake of safety, I didn't hear or see anyone outside of the community whining about it.  We all just sucked it up and got in line.  Maybe now adays it's just an internet thing, i don't know, but if you don't live there.. who the f*#k cares about what you think?! 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2009, 09:09:07 PM »
I have to say, I was pretty disappointed by the way this went--I figured the way to get the best traction was to get more people involved. Surfers, SUP folks at all levels, manufacturers, etc.. Come to some kind of agreement. Get buyoff on both sides.

I was wrong. Totally wrong.

The vibe in the water is the best I've ever experienced. I spent the day at Thousand Peaks, surfing from 8:00AM to 2:00 PM and never an unkind word. I had several people tell me that they heard what the "SUP community" had done, and they thought it was very cool. There was an incident so bizarre involving one of the very grumpiest longboarders that I'm not even going to relate it.  

Same thing at Kanaha yesterday. It just didn't completely jell with me then that the reason all the longboarders were so friendly was the new agreement. I thought they just all missed me.

It's pretty remarkable how completely the word is out, and remarkable how everyone is reacting. I got some kidding--that I was at Thousand Peaks 'cause I didn't qualify for Kanaha. Stuff like that, but said with a smile.

I certainly never considered that these guys couldn't speak for me. I admire every one of them. I'm just too much of a politician to give up ground without extracting the most value for it. I simply didn't think a unilateral pronouncement would work well.

Once again, wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I'd also say that anyone that uses the word "pros" with that list of watermen is not relating to their reputation. The only thing Laird is pro at is being Laird, which is something that many of us would give one or both testicles to emulate.  These are guys that are respected anywhere they go. Dave Kalama especially--one of the coolest, nicest guys I've ever met. And anyone that has ever met Archie would NEVER say anything bad about him.

Time will tell if this effort continues to have this kind of effect, but so far, so very, very good. We sweepers are more welcome in Maui breaks than we've ever been.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Deb

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2009, 07:22:53 AM »
A quick hijack - 1000 Peaks is one of my favorite places - 99% of folks are always friendly there. But the stretch between Launiopko and Puamana was already showing a fun wrap (some head high, glassy sets) Saturday.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2009, 07:52:09 AM »
Thanks guys.  Sometimes Festivus has a mind of its own.  We just had our Zone airing of grievances a little early this year.  I am glad to see that we can all come together again after these little bumps and join back up to share a common stoke over an event like the incoming swell of the century.  Now on to the feats of strength…

Festivus
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 07:54:28 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal